NZ travel and customs help please

robbie2

HI everyone,

I'm off to New Zealand from mid october for two months of constant fishing!!!

I am taking my 4piece rod in its case and one spare and am not sure how to take it on the plane. I'm flying air new zealand and have not got a straight answer from them as to whether I can take the rods on as hand luggage.... Anyone got experience of this??

I also guess that I will have to declare my fishing takle (waders, net and wading boots - felt sold etc. at customs.

Anyone got advice on the best way to get through all this???

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Robbie

DAS

Robbie,
I had a month's fishing in NZ earlier this year. You are in for a real treat!

I didn't want to take any risks (I got differing advice from the airline and the airport authorities about taking rods in hand-luggage) so I packed all my gear in my checked-in luggage. You will get questioned about what gear you have when you enter NZ, a word of advice.....DON'T LIE! After being asked what you are bringing into the country your bag gets x-rayed and they have no qualms about opening bags and confiscating undeclared items. I witnessed this happening with a couple who hadn't declared camping gear........

I cleaned my waders before I went in hot water and soap, they seemed OK about this. I also took new wading boots (some cheap Orvis travel boots, which were great) as I'd heard that they are not keen on admitting used felt soles into the country as bacteria/organisms can live in the moist felt for months. Supposedly, they are not keen on allowing flies made of fur or feather into the country. I just bought flies when I was out there, so I can;t comment on this. Clean your net beforehand too.....again, I just used hot water and soap.

I found this website absolutely invaluable http://www.nzfishing.com/index.htm

It contains links to just about everything you want to know, including maps, access points, etc etc.

Have a fantastic time, I'm jealous and can't wait to get back there myself.

Daran

TroutStalker

Sound advice above.

Rods cannot be carried as hand luggage - they pose a security risk (allegedly).

Being a Kiwi thats in the travel industry here in the UK I wouldn't recommend trying it - you may find your rod staying in the UK otherwise.

Buy your flies in NZ - we use different patterns down there. Buy locally and you will then use whats right for the river or lake you intend to fish.

darkuser80

I agree, declare and clean everything, carry it in a seperate bag, are you goiong via la or hk. If you are going via hk then you get 10kg for sports goods, phone the airline to tell them. I am taking my breathables, my boots, my 7 piece rod, two reels, my flies, last time they inspected them and ok'd by them.

Good luck , you'll love it

MichaelL

robbie2 said:
HI everyone,

I'm off to New Zealand from mid october for two months of constant fishing!!!

I am taking my 4piece rod in its case and one spare and am not sure how to take it on the plane. I'm flying air new zealand and have not got a straight answer from them as to whether I can take the rods on as hand luggage.... Anyone got experience of this??

I also guess that I will have to declare my fishing takle (waders, net and wading boots - felt sold etc. at customs.

Anyone got advice on the best way to get through all this???

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Robbie
I was in NZ for 7 months, just got back - declare everything, its an extra 5 mins at a maximum, in Customs, - if you carry a landing net, wading boots or waders. Didymo is an issue and I'm sure you don't want to be (unwittingly) responsible for spreading some horrible diseases.... MAF at customs will probably want to clean waders, boots and nets.

One word of advise - destroy your felt sole shoes. The are banned on some South Island rivers and they won't be welcome anywhere really. The Didymo bug can survive on them and the only way is freezing etc... get rid and then just use the detergents available as you cross between rivers.

OwenRiverLodge

Declare everything, make sure all your gear (lines, waders, boots, nets) have been scrubbed, cleaned & are DRY before you pack it.

NZ Customs are a friendly lot, unless they catch you with anything that you didn't declare. They will fine you on the spot.

Most anglers use 5> 7 weight rods, Weight forward floating lines - which need to be dull green/brown. Make sure your reel has a good drag system on it - apart form that - enjoy !