Old dog new tricks?

Castalot

I’m in my 60’s now, been fishing since 8year old. Started flyfishing down the river with a 6ft spinning rod, old cheap metal reel with a level flyline. Caught small trout and smolts.
Then gradually had proper flyrods and double taper millends. Now that I have Sage and Orvis rods, I was wondering if it would be a waste of money to pay for casting lessons, especially the double haul. I can cast and catch fish, but I would like to be able to cast further ( wouldnt everybody). Can I get rid of my bad casting habits ?

PaulD

The benefit of Double Hauling isn't restricted to being able to cast further, the major benefit is increasing line speed - real benefits for sustaining accuracy, overcoming unhelpful wind, being able to maintain a low trajectory to position under bushes etc. Well worth the time to learn. (y)

speytime

Double hauling isn't difficult as such, it's like patting your head and rubbing your tummy, once you find the rhythm it's fairly simple.
I used a sink line to find that rhythm then keept it going until my arm ached and had to stop.
Imo a sink line is benificial in learning the rhythm, they pull more, so readily take up line being fed back into the cast.

Al

Last edited:

original cormorant

But you already knew the answer - you didn't expect people to say lessons are a waste of money go out and buy a new rod, did you?

Jeltz

I found that over lining a rod by 1 made it easier to learn the DH, you can feel what is happening with a heavier line, down up, down up, that's all there is to it.

Riffler

I have had just two tuition sessions.
Jack Frost at Whinburgh lakes and James at Rocklands Mere.

Jack gave me the basics in my first few months of flyfishing and I asked James to advise me about making my casting stroke more efficient and less tiring.

Both sessions were invaluable, well worth the money.

Castalot

Original Cormorant, yes I did, I liked your answer.
Yes I have good rods, just not the ability to get the max out of them.
Just can’t teach my left arm to keep the line tight. Probably won’t pay for lessons either, I will spend it to go fishing, or on tackle.
Jeltz I have over lined my Xp no6 with a 7 which it handles comfortably.
Tried it with a long belly no7 last season, a bit too much for it.
car needs parts on it now before the mot, that’s life. So no new line.
For now.

speytime

A new line isn't going to make you be able to double haul, long or short belly makes little difference to double hauling, it's about timing.
Get a lesson with the money instead of buying a line, it'll be money well spent.

petevicar

Original Cormorant, yes I did, I liked your answer.
Yes I have good rods, just not the ability to get the max out of them.
Just can’t teach my left arm to keep the line tight. Probably won’t pay for lessons either, I will spend it to go fishing, or on tackle.
Jeltz I have over lined my Xp no6 with a 7 which it handles comfortably.
Tried it with a long belly no7 last season, a bit too much for it.
car needs parts on it now before the mot, that’s life. So no new line.
For now.
This is a very strange post.
Why did you make the original post?
It sounds like you are not really interested in improving.

Latest posts