Old Hardy rod

Hi,
I took up fly fishing about 12 years ago but in between I've had two kids and not been much for 5 years. I've never done a lot of it but mainly down to time rather than enjoyment. I've decided to get stuck in, get better and I'm really looking forward to it!
I have a Loop Adventure set (9ft, #6 weight) rod and reel I bought as a set for something like £150 in 2008. I seem to get on fine with it though most people I fish with seem to favour longer, heavier roda for the Stillwater (often boat) fishing we do. However recently my grandad gave me a Hardy Favourite 10ft 4/5# rod that he doesn't use. I'm not sure how old it is (it's graphite) and I don't know if I'd get on with it. My questions are:
Is it worth buying a reel and line just to see if I like it?
I'm told it's a nymphing rod but surely it could fish dries etc as well?
Where would you use a rod like this, would it be ok on UK still waters? (I tend to fish one hook, drys, wets or lures, I don't know what to do with nymphs or buzzers really and more than one hook ends up snagged too quickly for my skills)
It's a more prestigious (expensive) but older rod than I have now, would it be better, or have things moved on?
I might get my son into fishing and he can use the loop one and then I'd need another. Do I invest in this one (line is expensive!) or should I buy a new one, like a Greys etc.
Will the action of a nymphing rod be very stiff, I don't think my casting is brilliant!

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

wobbly face

Hardy Favourite 10ft 4/5 Graphite was around in the 1980s By today's standards it would be considered a soft through action rod. Ideal for fishing spiders on larger rivers, dries from a boat. May be a bit heavy and soft for nymphing rivers but no reason not try it out.

lee71

You'll be able to fish dries with it no problem boat or bank but as wobbly says maybe softish and heavy, if it was me I'd have a go with the #6 line you have just take it steady and don't try to cast to the horizon. if you think you like it get a #5 reel and line.

Sash

I think you might find it quite heavy and soft, certainly relative to a 10ft #4 today. It would be a lovely rod for boat fishing, and probably fine for nymphs as well.

Since its such a long rod, your current reel would likely balance it fine. I would get a WF5 line to try it out with: Maxcatch or John Norris are both perfectly good before you splash out on a more expensive line and/or reel. And don‘t underestimate how good it might be with a DT4. But I think a #6 line might bring out the less good features of the long Perfections: I recently came into a 10ft #7/8 and it is a very soft action indeed with the stated line weights!