Old Picric a.k.a WOIGO

Wee Jimmy

I honestly don't know is the straight answer, but people back in the day couldn't afford to discard stuff like we do now , so it's perfectly logical to think that maybe flies being kept for as long as possible would acquire a certain "patina" over time.
On the subject of Picric , I fish with a senior angler who uses the finest grey partridge feathers treated with it on a lot of his flies. He shortlines from a drifting boat and it works bigtime.
Aye, Picric will have its followers while others palm it off saying it’s only a yellow dye.
Who knows if it’s that critical but it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that it is a certain shade of yellow which the fish are particularly fond of at times.
The thing is though if it’s constantly changing colour with age then obviously ,it’s not always going to be that particular shade of yellow. I would say that limits it’s usefulness albeit the colour it turns into over time also looks nice...?

Gerryb

Aye, Picric will have its followers while others palm it off saying it’s only a yellow dye.
Who knows if it’s that critical but it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that it is a certain shade of yellow which the fish are particularly fond of at times.
The thing is though if it’s constantly changing colour with age then obviously ,it’s not always going to be that particular shade of yellow. I would say that limits it’s usefulness albeit the colour it turns into over time also looks nice...?
There's a few variables to ponder alright , but there's one thing that I've learned from this senior guy ,that the base materials to be used and or dyed used are critical. He is adamant about getting the finest Partridge feathers . I got some from Troutline for him and they were exactly what he wanted.He also likes to get his Turkey matched quills from an Artisan Producer of Bronze Turkeys for the Christmas Market. I have a few that he gave me for Invictas and they're subtly different to anything I've bought before. I wonder does the ambient light in a region affect the natural feather and fur we use and it's suitability to that particular region over others ?.

Gerryb

There's also the conundrum of the old Wetfly three fly cast , and the possible interaction of the combination of flies used :unsure: .

original cormorant

It was Michael Rogan of Ballyshannon who used jackass urine as a mordant for his Fiery Brown seal's fur. He kept it in a bucket in the yard at the back of the shop and locals complained about the stench in warm weather. The local Garda sergeant was sent to sort it out but as he was one of Michael's best customers, somehow the matter was never resolved :)
So not female pheromones then:D

Wee Jimmy

There's a few variables to ponder alright , but there's one thing that I've learned from this senior guy ,that the base materials to be used and or dyed used are critical. He is adamant about getting the finest Partridge feathers . I got some from Troutline for him and they were exactly what he wanted.He also likes to get his Turkey matched quills from an Artisan Producer of Bronze Turkeys for the Christmas Market. I have a few that he gave me for Invictas and they're subtly different to anything I've bought before. I wonder does the ambient light in a region affect the natural feather and fur we use and it's suitability to that particular region over others ?.
It’s hard to know for sure if we tend to overthink it or whether there is actually a lot more involved in choosing the right colours for the light and water conditions. Somehow I feel even a lifetime of experience would still not give us all the answers Gerry....;)