Old split shot tin

Mrtrout

I would love to know the chemical composition of 'Flit Lotion'. 😜 Being made by Esso, all manner of possibilities come to mind... :unsure:

Nowadays we are picky about what keeps off mosquitos, v what keeps off midges, v what keeps off black flies, et al. Back in the day, the goal was just to keep off insects. :)

Superb! (y)
Here’s what it says, but no act chemical breakdown.
C567D531-F46E-4917-8FC9-43BD6F0E9AC5.jpeg

Hardrar

I would love to know the chemical composition of 'Flit Lotion'. 😜 Being made by Esso, all manner of possibilities come to mind... :unsure:

Nowadays we are picky about what keeps off mosquitos, v what keeps off midges, v what keeps off black flies, et al. Back in the day, the goal was just to keep off insects. :)

Superb! (y)
Are there any insects left to need repellent?🤭
I remember one called Mozzy off , but most died in the wool anglers, all smoked a pipe! Which gassed all the mozzies for miles! All the tackle shops I frequented in my misspent youth were also tobacconists, the two went hand in hand bitd.

Mrtrout

I think the fact Esso were involved was enough to make you think.
Perhaps back then it wasn’t compulsory to make you list it’s chemical breakdown?
As it’s almost full I don’t think dear old dad used much, bless him.
S.

Cap'n Fishy

Are there any insects left to need repellent?🤭

Well, I know what you are getting at. When was the last time anyone saw the water peppered with heather flies?

However, we still have plenty Scottish midges to contend with each year...

pic2.jpg

Hope24-26Aug20_1157.jpg

Hope18_2378.jpg

And the clegs were bad this year too! :(

Cap'n Fishy

Perhaps back then it wasn’t compulsory to make you list it’s chemical breakdown?

For sure. Radium was once promoted as a health tonic... and that was proudly knowing and advertising that it was radium!

l0016771_0.jpg

Hardrar

Well, I know what you are getting at. When was the last time anyone saw the water peppered with heather flies?

However, we still have plenty Scottish midges to contend with each year...

pic2.jpg

Hope24-26Aug20_1157.jpg

Hope18_2378.jpg

And the clegs were bad this year too! :(
We don’t get the “duffers fortnight” anymore on the Mayfly- weirdly they start in late May in penny numbers and are still hatching in Penny numbers all Summer well into August, never the Blizzards we used to always get and the olives and stoneflies are scarce yet Grannom hatch from March right through the Summer now.

glueman

As it’s almost full I don’t think dear old dad used much, bless him.
S.
the company, now part of ExxonMobil, was renamed first Esso and later Exxon. The Esso formulation contained 5% DDT in the late 1940s and early 1950
now you know it was DDT

JohnH

If anyone's tempted to make a comeback to coarse fishing using split lead shot then please be careful, at least in England. Split lead shot, at least in the popular sizes, has been illegal here since about 1990. The tungsten replacements work perfectly well.

Cap'n Fishy

If anyone's tempted to make a comeback to coarse fishing using split lead shot then please be careful, at least in England. Split lead shot, at least in the popular sizes, has been illegal here since about 1990. The tungsten replacements work perfectly well.

Just don't squeeze it shut in your front teeth the way you used to with lead. I had to get a bit of dental work done as a result of making that mistake. :(

Latest posts