Old tackle problem

haggstock

You have to be realistic . Is there any value in the kit he has ? I know this is heretic to a lot of people , but the world is full of crap old tackle and you can buy a perfectly good new carbon rod for £35 . If the exercise of disposing it does not yield , let’s say £25 Nett for every hour and £ you put into it including researching , listing etc and after Advertising , auction fees , PayPal fees , packing material and posting, just take the whole lot to a charity shop , they’ll get a few quid plus gift aid . If you’re honest with yourself and the tackle isn’t worth bothering about tell him that and let him take it to the tip.

4wings

You have to be realistic . Is there any value in the kit he has ? I know this is heretic to a lot of people , but the world is full of crap old tackle and you can buy a perfectly good new carbon rod for £35 . If the exercise of disposing it does not yield , let’s say £25 Nett for every hour and £ you put into it including researching , listing etc and after Advertising , auction fees , PayPal fees , packing material and posting, just take the whole lot to a charity shop , they’ll get a few quid plus gift aid . If you’re honest with yourself and the tackle isn’t worth bothering about tell him that and let him take it to the tip.
Our local recycling centres take usable fishing tackle and have an annual sale, I have seen some very nice stuff, including furniture and bicycles at these sales.

pearcey

Hi haggstock, I was just trying to sell some fly fishing gear for a friend! In my honest opinion the tackle isn't junk , it's perfectly serviceable stuff. I've messaged him with all of my replies from here and it's now up to him what he does, but I do think a charity shop is a very good idea, it's just a shame as it's all in good nick just out of date in today's world.
I would like to just say a BIG thank you to yourself and everyone else for taking the trouble to give me advise, what it has taught me is that I'm right in never selling my gear once purchased 😂

haggstock

Sorry I didn’t mean to be offensive , perhaps I phrased it incorrectly , what my point was is if it wont realise any real monetary value , irrespective of how useable it is . I wouldn’t put a whole heap of work into disposing of it .

benisa

Maybe first list out what you have. then you could sell it as a job lot on ebay
check out my hermes for a rate i sent a rod up north old sea rod ( 2 piece ) for £12. or collection only

rusty

There is a perception that fly fishing tackle is valuable.
There is another perception that old things are worth a lot, sometimes.
So when someone asks you to sell some fly tackle you are putting yourself in an unenviable postion.
The seller may think you are pulling a fast one or being dishonest when hundreds of pounds are not realised.
Avoid.
Rusty

glueman

Old fly rods and reels are only a y good as decorations in rural pubs and hotels. A friend of mine has a workshop full of them mostly donated from house clearance. The usual quote is,you are into fishing are these any good think they are rare

4wings

I can remember some youngsters fishing for dace and was amazed at how their rods bent.
They were ex- flyrods, passed on to the boys by a neighbour and giving them more sport and excitement than I was having!