Oliver Kite thought sunglasses were unsporting

sewinbasher

Interesting man but I'm not sure where you'd stop with that train of thought? Did he wear a hat to keep the sun out of his eyes or not wear dark coloured clothing to hide himself from the fish? Guess it's a personal thing, which is what he said. Love to see the clip trouttickler.

Reg Wyatt
I've not seen footage or a photo of him fishing with a hat.

Cap'n Fishy

if the light and water clarity are right I often don't wear polaroids but that is because I would need to be changing glasses from polaroids to reading glasses every time I change flies. Gets to be irritating after a while.

The answer to that is to have plain varifocals for general use, Polaroid varifocals for bright conditions, and HLT varifocals for tricky light conditions. Whichever I am wearing, it doesn't matter much if light conditions change - the ones I have on will cope until such time as I feel like changing them. Never need to change more than once in the course of a day's fishing.

As for avoiding wearing Polaroids as some kind of chutzpah, aye, right! 🤪

Clunk

I read his book on nymphing. I was trying to get a grip on traditional methods where i could just tie on a nymph and fish.
In his book, I'm sure he comments that putting a dry fly over a trout clearly taking nymphs was also unsporting :unsure:

Still trying to master how to spend a day on nymphs, guess that boat has sailed.

Reg Wyatt

I read his book on nymphing. I was trying to get a grip on traditional methods where i could just tie on a nymph and fish.
In his book, I'm sure he comments that putting a dry fly over a trout clearly taking nymphs was also unsporting :unsure:

Still trying to master how to spend a day on nymphs, guess that boat has sailed.
I thought Sawyers book Nymphs and the Trout was better Clunk and of course there was a certain 'disagreement' between the two of them.
Strangely, I have always felt fishing more than one fly was somehow unsporting but I think in hindsight that's because I always got in a buggers muddle!

Reg Wyatt

bbamboo

Oliver Kite died in 1968 polarised glasses would have been a luxury item back then. I purchased my first pair about 1980 and they cost a packet then.