On the way..

• Thread starter Deleted member 90002
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 90002

So finsijhed the house (brownie points) tea in flask and heading to the river i posted a while ago.
There has been a little rain fall.. So whikst using a heavier nymph should I use a stronger tippet.. Probably a basic question..
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have maxima chameleon and ultra green.. Not looking for its a wrong material debate..
Thanks all.
Gary

jaybeegee

Hi Gary, your’e lucky, it will be April before I’m fishing again by the look of things.
For nymphing in a small river like that I would be using 2.6 or at the most 3.2lb bs tippet. I use Bayer but Maxima is good.
B

D

Deleted member 90002

Just go fishing, forget about going on your phone for advice. See what the water is like when you get there - speed, colour and setup according to the conditions.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
Trip cut short for today.. Have the day tommorrow..
Will throw kit into rucksack and I'm away..

wrongfoot

So finished the house (brownie points) tea in flask and heading to the river i posted a while ago.
There has been a little rainfall. So whilst using a heavier nymph should I use a stronger tippet. Probably a basic question. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have maxima chameleon and ultra green. Not looking for its a wrong material debate. Thanks all. Gary

I find ug more flexible at a given test so (flyfishing) I always use it as tippet in preference to chameleon when fishing nylon.

I'd be interested if anyone thinks there's a difference using maxima ug or clear?

I don't go heavier/stiffer unless I can't turn-over the cast and on a river I can usually turn over a team of 2 nymphs (never fish more than 2 myself) with short flick and plop casts. I used chameleon as leader butt material for it's stiffness, but now I buy knotless tapered leaders. Went with these https://www.fishingmegastore.com/tapered-leaders-and-casts/maxima-knotless-leaders~61382.html for while to get the same leader as the ones I was tying without knots. There were stock/supply issues a while ago so now I just use some clear ones I got from eBay.

I was advised to use chameleon as ledger line (coarse and sea) for camouflage and abrasion resistance against the bottom. I did so not much to compare with though, it worked well enough and was cheap so I didn't change things, but I still used ug snood/hook-lengths if not putting bait tight to the bottom (popped up with a float bead etc.)

Blah blah... Short answer - I wouldn't go heavier unless casting problems or other circumstances (size of fish, bullying away from obstructions) required it.

PS. I now use flouro when river fishing nymphs :p:p:p:p

D

Deleted member 90002

Hi Gary, your’e lucky, it will be April before I’m fishing again by the look of things.
For nymphing in a small river like that I would be using 2.6 or at the most 3.2lb bs tippet. I use Bayer but Maxima is good.
B
Trip cut short today lad. Tommorrow have another longer shot. So will update then..
I find ug more flexible at a given test so (flyfishing) I always use it as tippet in preference to chameleon when fishing nylon.

I'd be interested if anyone thinks there's a difference using maxima ug or clear?

I don't go heavier/stiffer unless I can't turn-over the cast and on a river I can usually turn over a team of 2 nymphs (never fish more than 2 myself) with short flick and plop casts. I used chameleon as leader butt material for it's stiffness, but now I buy knotless tapered leaders. Went with these https://www.fishingmegastore.com/tapered-leaders-and-casts/maxima-knotless-leaders~61382.html for while to get the same leader as the ones I was tying without knots. There were stock/supply issues a while ago so now I just use some clear ones I got from eBay.

I was advised to use chameleon as ledger line (coarse and sea) for camouflage and abrasion resistance against the bottom. I did so not much to compare with though, it worked well enough and was cheap so I didn't change things, but I still used ug snood/hook-lengths if not putting bait tight to the bottom (popped up with a float bead etc.)

Blah blah... Short answer - I wouldn't go heavier unless casting problems or other circumstances (size of fish, bullying away from obstructions) required it.

PS. I now use flouro when river fishing nymphs :p:p:p:p
Well just having my dinner and heading back down second shot.. Will see what is in shed repack and go.. Thanks as always..
Gary

D

Deleted member 90002

So finsijhed the house (brownie points) tea in flask and heading to the river i posted a while ago.
There has been a little rain fall.. So whikst using a heavier nymph should I use a stronger tippet.. Probably a basic question..
I have maxima chameleon and ultra green.. Not looking for its a wrong material debate..
Thanks all.
Gary
Now at the river had one take..
Glorious day.

Attachments

• IMG_20210301_151957.jpg
    IMG_20210301_151957.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 41
D

Deleted member 90002

Thanks all.
Gary
Home.. The river is fast and quite dangerous.. Next trip will head further upstream.. Missed 2 trout.. Lovely day..