Orange Balsam

warrenslaney

We've been walking past it for the last couple of years and only now have a clear id and an industry opinion on what it can do to our river banks. It's harder to spot than HB and is far more resistant to biocides. Another worthy adversary then and next on the list of things to kill off to protect our rivers here.

MrP

Any photographs, Warren?

Have Googled it now!!

Concerrning that it also has projectile seeds.
Will look out for it on our travels picking the Himalayan balsam.

Thanks for the heads-up

Last edited:

johnclayton

I have a thing about invasive species whether it be plants, crustaceans or anything else and orange balsam is a new one on me and shall certainly look out for it.
We have Himalayan balsam in profusion on many of the rivers in the North West and shall certainly keep an eye out for the orange variety.
I have just googled it and have seen it in gardens where the cultivated variety is called common jewelweed, and there is a another one less common called yellow jewelweed and H/B is apparently called Ornamental jewelweed.

JohnClayton

alrounder

Another invasive species to watch out for :eek:mg: We have more than our fair share of HB around these parts :(

F

fredc

A native of North America it's main pollinators are hummingbirds.

Note to self: Tie some hummingbird patterns.

apt1

I've been aware of OB for decades down on some of the southern chalk streams. The good news is that it doesn't appear to be anywhere near as rampant as HB. You still wouldn't want it!

Theo

Trade Member

warrenslaney

Where as the Himalayan Balsam has the advantage of sending up a small flower and a few seeds in October, this Orange Balsam is very hard to spot, especially in the fringes of woods, where the herbage is diverse.

Latest posts