Orange Otter

PaulD

As requested, here's the Rev. Powell's famous Orange Otter. Sadly, I don't have a stock of biscuit coloured, otter neck fur that has been soaked overnight in picric acid and red ink . . . so the body on this version is a blend of 75% hot orange and 25% maroon seals fur as recommended in Christopher Knowles excellent 'Orange Otter', Medlar Press, 2006.

Orange Otter

Hook: Tiemco 100SP-BL, size 16
Silk: Orange 8/0
Tail: Ginger Cock
Body: Two parts, tied bulbous - blazing orange seals fur
Hackle: Ginger Cock

OO1.JPG
Some years ago, when younger and more enthusiastically energetic, I'd regularly travel across to the Wye & Usk beats on the Arrow and Lugg. A mostly smaller, slimmer Orange Otter was an excellent pattern that would bring trout and grayling up from depth. In clear water, you'd regularly see them lock onto the fly and come up two or three feet to take it.

OO2.JPG

Wee Jimmy

I use a very similar pattern for falls of fiery brown/red ants Paul...One day in particular ,my usual (closer copy) patterns were being totally ignored,the fish would take a natural a few inches either side of mine as if it wasn't there.. Putting this in front of them was the solution ,what a day it ended up.... (y)

taffy1

Reminds me of an evening I had many moons ago on Cray reservoir, a friend was having limited success with a Partridge & Orange unfortunately, I hadn't 1 in my box but a few Orange Otters, on it went & his surprise was I was a lot more successful than he. Cracking tie by the way. Keep posting your creations. (y)

lipslicker

As requested, here's the Rev. Powell's famous Orange Otter. Sadly, I don't have a stock of biscuit coloured, otter neck fur that has been soaked overnight in picric acid and red ink . . . so the body on this version is a blend of 75% hot orange and 25% maroon seals fur as recommended in Christopher Knowles excellent 'Orange Otter', Medlar Press, 2006.

Orange Otter

Hook:
Tiemco 100SP-BL, size 16
Silk: Orange 8/0
Tail: Ginger Cock
Body: Two parts, tied bulbous - blazing orange seals fur
Hackle: Ginger Cock

View attachment 32114
Some years ago, when younger and more enthusiastically energetic, I'd regularly travel across to the Wye & Usk beats on the Arrow and Lugg. A mostly smaller, slimmer Orange Otter was an excellent pattern that would bring trout and grayling up from depth. In clear water, you'd regularly see them lock onto the fly and come up two or three feet to take it.

Could I ask, what species are those representing?
Or, are they merely just an eye catching 'lure' pattern, with colour just encouraging bite?

PaulD

Could I ask, what species are those representing?
Or, are they merely just an eye catching 'lure' pattern, with colour just encouraging bite?

Rev. Powell first began developing it in 1934 to represent the Soldier Beetle. On the Stokesay water of the River Onny, near Craven Arms, 24th July 1944, between 9.30am and 4.30pm, Powell caught 80 trout and 2 grayling on the Orange Otter. A month later, on his own stretch of the Onny, he used the Orange Otter to catch 131 trout between 11.30am and 7pm.

skinner

Rev. Powell first began developing it in 1934 to represent the Soldier Beetle. On the Stokesay water of the River Onny, near Craven Arms, 24th July 1944, between 9.30am and 4.30pm, Powell caught 80 trout and 2 grayling on the Orange Otter. A month later, on his own stretch of the Onny, he used the Orange Otter to catch 131 trout between 11.30am and 7pm.
I often fish at Stokesay ....

Attachments

• 46B63A2A-6917-42D9-8F91-3E4F9E67475F.jpeg
    46B63A2A-6917-42D9-8F91-3E4F9E67475F.jpeg
    962 KB · Views: 5

PaulD

I often fish at Stokesay ....

Over the years, I've assembled quite a library of older angling books, titles like these . . .

East & West of Severn - C. V. Hancock, 1956
Rod in Hand - C. V. Hancock, 1958
Trout Fisherman's Saga - Ieuan D. Owen, 1959
Here and There a Lusty Trout - T. A. Powell, 1947
A Snowdon Stream - W. H. Canaway, 1958

Each year I attempt to make a 'pilgrimage' to one of the streams I've read about in one of the books and usually attempt to use flies mentioned in the texts.

skinner

Over the years, I've assembled quite a library of older angling books, titles like these . . .

East & West of Severn - C. V. Hancock, 1956
Rod in Hand - C. V. Hancock, 1958
Trout Fisherman's Saga - Ieuan D. Owen, 1959
Here and There a Lusty Trout - T. A. Powell, 1947
A Snowdon Stream - W. H. Canaway, 1958

Each year I attempt to make a 'pilgrimage' to one of the streams I've read about in one of the books and usually attempt to use flies mentioned in the texts.
Great Stuff!
I’ve done well with the Baby Sun Fly in the past.

skinner

This shows the flies were sold in Birmingham, I often pass number 24 Bennetts Hill

Attachments

• 3BD5B281-E237-450E-8E48-B43568C3EA7D.jpeg
    3BD5B281-E237-450E-8E48-B43568C3EA7D.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 8

PaulD

Great Stuff!
I’ve done well with the Baby Sun Fly in the past.

One of my favourites! We're just into the ferreting season and I must ask my neighbour to see if he can get me another old, buck rabbit with a good black face to keep the supply of body fur sufficient for Baby Sun Flies.

I know Bennett's Hill too, I used to work for Abbey National and the Bennett's Hill branch was huge! I spent a while based in the Great Western Arcade too.

skinner

One of my favourites! We're just into the ferreting season and I must ask my neighbour to see if he can get me another old, buck rabbit with a good black face to keep the supply of body fur sufficient for Baby Sun Flies.

I know Bennett's Hill too, I used to work for Abbey National and the Bennett's Hill branch was huge! I spent a while based in the Great Western Arcade too.

the Bar at number 23 Bennetts Hill is called ‘ The Sun On The Hill’
I’m working right behind Chinatown at the moment.

thetrouttickler

the Bar at number 23 Bennetts Hill is called ‘ The Sun On The Hill’
I’m working right behind Chinatown at the moment.

Back in the day the Sun was a bit rough. I know they tried to do it up a few years ago. The Old Joint Stock was my local, a bit more salubrious. Also used to visit The Wellington, The Old Contemptibles and the Jekyll and Hyde. Good memories. The Birmingham centre has changed a lot in the time since, almost unrecognizable now.

Last edited: