Orvis Girls

Rhithrogena

shortcircuit

If that ad gets one extra woman involved in fly fishing that might not have done before, it will have done a good job. It might be a little silly or off-colour, but so is life !

sean freeman

It is a bit stupid, if you want a laugh check out the fly name thread on there. People get offended so easily. Apparently the sex dungeon streamer which is an excellent pattern that many have used promotes sexual violence somehow. The fella who wrote the article even cried writing it. Said streamer was named by a woman..

JayP

It is a bit stupid, if you want a laugh check out the fly name thread on there. People get offended so easily. Apparently the sex dungeon streamer which is an excellent pattern that many have used promotes sexual violence somehow. The fella who wrote the article even cried writing it. Said streamer was named by a woman..
FFS, I bet Kelly Galloup is creased up 😂

Rhithrogena

As Galloup admits the Pearl Necklace was a bit close to the mark, and he reigned the names in after that 😂

sean freeman

FFS, I bet Kelly Galloup is creased up 😂
I was! 😂 I actually couldn’t believe what I was reading! People act like women should be wrapped in cotton wool and are getting offended at streamer names for them, to me that’s still treating them as a lesser.

The comment from a female guide that went against his mindset seems to have been deleted too. Basically creating a vacuum of opinions and comments that reinforce his.

petevicar

Where is the fly name thread?

JayP

I was! 😂 I actually couldn’t believe what I was reading! People act like women should be wrapped in cotton wool and are getting offended at streamer names for them, to me that’s still treating them as a lesser.

The comment from a female guide that went against his mindset seems to have been deleted too. Basically creating a vacuum of opinions and comments that reinforce his.
There'll be a ban on woolly buggers next

Rhithrogena

That female guide comment is on the comments stream to the linked blog post Sean 😉

sean freeman

That female guide comment is on the comments stream to the linked blog post Sean 😉
I can see a couple from female guides but Elle wrote this:

As female, avid fly angler of both fresh and salt water and having been involved in the industry a long time, I in no way find the names of these flies to be offensive. The fly creators did not intend for the names of these flies to be offensive either. Its possible theres some over sensitivity here.

I can’t seem to find it in the comments, I’ve probably missed it 😅

Rhithrogena

I can see a couple from female guides but Elle wrote this:

As female, avid fly angler of both fresh and salt water and having been involved in the industry a long time, I in no way find the names of these flies to be offensive. The fly creators did not intend for the names of these flies to be offensive either. Its possible theres some over sensitivity here.

I can’t seem to find it in the comments, I’ve probably missed it 😅
Brita says:
February 24, 2021 at 11:12 pm
"Sexual violence is very much a significant problem and should not be ignored nor condoned. I appreciate your effort to acknowledge and address the topic in your blog. I believe your intent was genuine. Sexual violence needs more men to step up and help put an end to it.
It is appropriate to share how certain fly names make you feel. But as a female fly-fishing guide (with a son and a daughter I might add), fly designer, signature tyer, and industry professional for many years, I am essentially one of the people you describe in this post. And I do not feel it was appropriate for you to express publicly how you believe I feel on this topic.
In addition, knowing these patterns listed are all from one designer gives this post a very different tone, and left me with sympathy for the designer, as he likely did not intend to offend anyone when they were designed originally years ago. I hope that following this he is given the chance to step up and appropriately update his pattern names, and hope that he is recognized for his effort in doing so.
Moving forward, you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. And I would love for folks in the industry to discuss this as a whole in order to come up with a solution, rather than a few folks attempt to speak for all."

wrongfoot

Call a pattern whatever you like, so long as I can call it whatever I like too...

I'm not offended, but I do find those sort of names very Spinal Tap. I love that film, but there's a reason the characters are funny/comical with their naff song titles. They're all d***heads.
I reckon when Galloup named it the context was a relaxed ironic in-joke among adults in an adult context.

I don't think it attacks women's rights either. :rolleyes:

But there's still no way I'm going to tell kids or women I don't know well that I'm tying on an "Intruder" or a "Sex Dungeon" or a "Pearl Necklace". They'll get called "Articulated Streamers" or some such and Galloup won't get the credit he might want for his tying. I doubt he's bothered, seems very unlikely he wanted the name repeated to children etc.

I'm not censoring him, I'm self-censoring me, based on where I am and who I'm talking to. You think that unreasonable? Go and do a show and tell to encourage young anglers at your local primary school, name these flies and tell us how it works out? :D:D:D

wrongfoot

Some calls for re-naming in articles and on other forums I see... :rolleyes:

Tongue in cheek - anyone else reckon it could be absolutely hilarious for Galloup to rename the flies along these lines;

Intruder - Pullout
Sex Dungeon - Vicar's Tea Party
Pearl Necklace - Jewel Heist

Just because we change something doesn't mean we can't have a little fun at expense of the prudish?

sean freeman

Call a pattern whatever you like, so long as I can call it whatever I like too...

I'm not offended, but I do find those sort of names very Spinal Tap. I love that film, but there's a reason the characters are funny/comical with their naff song titles. They're all d***heads.
I reckon when Galloup named it the context was a relaxed ironic in-joke among adults in an adult context.

I don't think it attacks women's rights either. :rolleyes:

But there's still no way I'm going to tell kids or women I don't know well that I'm tying on an "Intruder" or a "Sex Dungeon" or a "Pearl Necklace". They'll get called "Articulated Streamers" or some such and Galloup won't get the credit he might want for his tying. I doubt he's bothered, seems very unlikely he wanted the name repeated to children etc.

I'm not censoring him, I'm self-censoring me, based on where I am and who I'm talking to. You think that unreasonable? Go and do a show and tell to encourage young anglers at your local primary school, name these flies and tell us how it works out? :D:D:D
I agree with you for sure but not naming them in front of children is common sense, you know your audience but a grown man crying and shaking over the names of said streamers? They’re not even that bad. You may as well censor everything offensive if words get under your skin.

There are worse influences in schools these days than the names of fishing flies. My fiancée is a primary school teacher and some of the year 5 and 6 kids come out with all sorts and most of them have iPhones and iPads with internet access, they play online games like fortnite or call of duty and hear all sorts in multiplayer etc.

In fairness though I usually refer to most of them as articulated streamers as I forget the names. 😅 The sex dungeon or ice pick are easier to remember as I use them a lot along with sculpins, buggers and Martins Minnows.