Orvis on the High Street

Tangled

I was in Sherborne, Dorset, this week pottering up the high street when I looked in yet another a clothing shop window and saw a fly rod on one of the dummies.

A double-take found it to be an Orvis shop, so I wondered in. Pastel shades of expensive woman's wear everywhere but I was told that there was fishing gear upstairs. Again mostly clothing but at least most of it had a fishing angle. No sales staff up there either.

But they sold flies! Help yourself single flies like a proper fishing shop. Nice to see a few rods that you can actually hold and waggle too.

I was trying to remember the last time I was in a real fishing shop. At least 5 years ago in John Norris. Nothing like a real fly shop near me. I miss them. Even a one-brand, silly-price, life-style shop like Orvis.

Didn't buy anything though. I guess I'm the problem.

benisa

they have one in the west end ( London ) mostly cloths in the window + some fishing gear but go to the back and they have a good range and big selection of fly's

so if you ever come down south and are in the Big Smoke worth a look in

For me just long way to go to buy a few fly's

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
they have one in the west end ( London ) mostly cloths in the window + some fishing gear but go to the back and they have a good range and big selection of fly's

so if you ever come down south and are in the Big Smoke worth a look in

For me just long way to go to buy a few fly's
Thats not forgetting Farlowes just a strolll away

arkle

Until just after the start of the 1st lockdown, we had probably one of the best all round tackle shops in the U.K. The owner (2nd generation) used the lockdown, as an excuse to asset strip it & get rid of around 50 staff. Including 2 or 3 in the game dept.

Vintage Badger

We're very lucky in North Wales to have Foxon;s which is a proper tackle shop with a huge range of gear, expert advice, and one of the best rod builders in the UK.
I love going into Foxon's when I'm in that area; they sell some good quality flies too. There's an Orvis shop in Tarporley in Cheshire, which is about 20 minutes away from me, other than that, I'm pretty much stuffed for fly tackle, other than the few bits and pieces they sell in the small shop at Marton Heath Trout Pools (which I try to support when I can).

Apparently, there's a fly tying materials shop just over the border in Staffordshire, but they seem to keep 'part time' opening hours at the moment (which I can't find on their website!), so not much chance of me planning a trip there!

Around 12 years ago there was Stapeley Angling Centre and Meadow Fishery in South Cheshire, plus Stockport Fly Fishing Supplies in the north. Going back further than that, there was Leatherbarrows in Urmston and AD Bradbury in Hale Barns. Sadly, all those have now gone. :(

Last edited:

Overmiwadrers

I was in the Harrogate shop a couple of weeks ago. One very small corner at the back of the shop for tackle but 85 % of the shop floor is clothing and doggy stuff.. It isnt a fly fishing shop anymore really . But they do cater well for well heeled starters . listened in on a conversation with a punter and the angling advisor. certainly sold him some flash stuff for his upcoming baptism on the Nidd. but i thought his fly selection was pants. The guy was about my age and never wade fished I noted he never sold him a wading staff....

O M W

roger h 10

There's a good tackle shop in the lodge at Ellerdine,however there are very few Fly fishing shops left in the Kent,Sussex,Surrey area. The few that were left appear to have been finished off by Coronovirus.
It's okay buying on line but it's not like browsing around a well stocked shop and picking up those 'must have' items.

roger h 10

I was in the Harrogate shop a couple of weeks ago. One very small corner at the back of the shop for tackle but 85 % of the shop floor is clothing and doggy stuff.. It isnt a fly fishing shop anymore really . But they do cater well for well heeled starters . listened in on a conversation with a punter and the angling advisor. certainly sold him some flash stuff for his upcoming baptism on the Nidd. but i thought his fly selection was pants. The guy was about my age and never wade fished I noted he never sold him a wading staff....

O M W
I'm afraid it's a long time since Orvis has been a proper fishing shop. I think the 'Brown Trout' is still in Harrogate And Linley Brothers,both of which are more like 'proper' fishing shops.

BobP

Orvis shop in Burford and of course in Stockbridge. The flies are Fulling Mill.

benisa

Thats not forgetting Farlowes just a strolll away
When you go to Farlow's still find it a bit OTT on the sales side

never get a deal out them but phone sportsfish all the same and they always do deal on what your buying, maybe not one or two fly's

benisa

I'm afraid it's a long time since Orvis has been a proper fishing shop. I think the 'Brown Trout' is still in Harrogate And Linley Brothers,both of which are more like 'proper' fishing shops.
Are Linley brothers till going did think that Packed up quite few years old
David was a great guy there working for Barry

mike fox

The wife and I enjoy visiting the Orvis shops where ever they are. The New York shop on 5th Ave is a good one. The new larger shop just opened in Bakewell is our local. It would seem they have stopped the £25 0FF vouchers when you spend £50 on fishing tackle since Covid appeared. Only available on apparel now which is a shame.

smallmouth

The only Orvis shop I can remember visiting was in Manchester, Vermont, twenty odd years ago. It was recognisably a fly fishing shop, (a large one), and I spent some time swishing potential fortieth birthday presents around, thankfully untroubled by salesmen, who were busy restocking shelves after the weekend.

I only say thankfully, because nearby was a small wooden fly shop cum tobacconists, (my Dad was very taken with their pipe tobaccos). They were a St Croix dealer, a brand I was unfamiliar with. I eventually ended up with a Legend Ultra 7ft 9ins #3, which I treasure and use on nearly every trip to my local river.

sean freeman

The wife and I enjoy visiting the Orvis shops where ever they are. The New York shop on 5th Ave is a good one. The new larger shop just opened in Bakewell is our local. It would seem they have stopped the £25 0FF vouchers when you spend £50 on fishing tackle since Covid appeared. Only available on apparel now which is a shame.
They used to run a discount for local fishing club members too but they said corporate done away with that as well. It’s a nice shop for sure and the people that work there are lovely but I’d rather support Peter around the corner.

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
They used to run a discount for local fishing club members too but they said corporate done away with that as well. It’s a nice shop for sure and the people that work there are lovely but I’d rather support Peter around the corner.
Walthamstow fly fishers have discount at both orvis and farlows for their members !

ejw

Vintage Badger
Sorry but Orvis at Tarporley closed 18 months ago. I feel Orvis have lost touch with the fly fishing crowd. Now just clothes and dogs, shame. Did let them know that they would be the last Fly shop in the area before Meadow fishery closed, but they still closed Tarporley, so business sense went out the window there.
China shopping here we come.

mike fox

I have been given 10% for CADAC membership at the Tarporley shop before it closed down.
Every time we've been to Bakewell Peter has been closed. Apparently he keeps disappearing for an hour or so and I have yet to set foot in the shop. Not good for custom that.

Latest posts