Orvis on the High Street

Oldbones

I live in Aberdeenshhire, and we have the Dee and the Don rivers not to far away.
The Orvis shop in Banchory closed down a few months ago, years ago I bought my first expensive to me fly rod from, back then it was mostly fly fishing items, then it changed to fashion and dogs, with still some fly fishing items but they were sort of not the focus of the shop any longer.
Its a shame, right on the banks of the dee, and it closed. Come on Orvis,

morayfisher

I live in Aberdeenshhire, and we have the Dee and the Don rivers not to far away.
The Orvis shop in Banchory closed down a few months ago, years ago I bought my first expensive to me fly rod from, back then it was mostly fly fishing items, then it changed to fashion and dogs, with still some fly fishing items but they were sort of not the focus of the shop any longer.
I had some pretty poor service in the Banchory shop approx three years ago. Not surprised it closed based on my experience.

blithfield2

Amazing isn't it, tackle shops closing...........when we are falling over ourselves to purchase direct from China.....

D

Deleted member 32104

Amazing isn't it, tackle shops closing...........when we are falling over ourselves to purchase direct from China.....
Apparently, buying American tackle becomes more difficult too in the UK. You can't buy Chinese stuff and your tackle shops are closing. No wonder people start worrying. Back to the roots I say, start manufacturing good, affordable fishing gear. Beat the Chinese on their own turf and show the world what you're made of.

blithfield2

Apparently, buying American tackle becomes more difficult too in the UK. You can't buy Chinese stuff and your tackle shops are closing. No wonder people start worrying. Back to the roots I say, start manufacturing good, affordable fishing gear. Beat the Chinese on their own turf and show the world what you're made of.

I wish!

Tangled

Chinese filling the gap left by Orvis across the country ?
Mostly it's the internet that's filling the gap. Orvis Clearwater rods are made in the Far East (maybe China?) anyway, High Street or otherwise.

snow white

The missis don’t mind me going in to Foxons but she says leave your wallet in the car as it costs me a fortune in tying bits but the whiting feathers £6 a pack of 6/8 is a good buy about foot long

BobP

The missis don’t mind me going in to Foxons but she says leave your wallet in the car as it costs me a fortune in tying bits but the whiting feathers £6 a pack of 6/8 is a good buy about foot long
I used to do that when Cook's of Datchet was in business. It was more or less on my way home and it was always a risk going in there with a plastic card handy. I used to take a tenner out of my wallet and then leave that in the car. When the tenner was gone, that was it! Nick Cook always had some good stuff for the reservoir angler in there, hence the caution.

ejw

Despite supporting "local" angling shops, all gone now, 40 mile plus for me, just to get there ! 2 retired and Orvis closed the shop, leaving their employee's high and dry ! (long story, not impressed with them !!) Just the internet now and if I have to use this then Maxcatch gets my vote.

original cormorant

A Garry Evans email has just landed in my inbox with the subject line "Orvis Caps now in stock" .

It seems bizarre to me that a retailer is selling marketing material for another retailer.

JohnH

Slightly off topic, but... After fishing yesterday I swung by Robjents, the shop opposite Orvis in Stockbridge high street. I bought the last 2 Leeda dry fly sprays on their shelves, and when I was paying the guy told me to watch out for that and other tackle supply issues. In addition to the spray, he told me that the factory that made the well liked Leeda Profil tapered mono leaders has shut down. Hope things straighten out soon...

mike fox

Slightly off topic, but... After fishing yesterday I swung by Robjents, the shop opposite Orvis in Stockbridge high street. I bought the last 2 Leeda dry fly sprays on their shelves, and when I was paying the guy told me to watch out for that and other tackle supply issues. In addition to the spray, he told me that the factory that made the well liked Leeda Profil tapered mono leaders has shut down. Hope things straighten out soon...
I bought some Leeda Dry Fly spray from GAC a few months back, only to discover it's made less than half a mile away from my home in Stockport. :ROFLMAO:

catzrob

I found the Orvis shop on Regent Street brilliant - Vito's a good dude and the South African chap whose name I forget was great too. Mind you last time I dropped in neither of them were there and some young fellow was working his arse off to sell me a rod I didn't want when all I came in for was to look over the flies they have and maybe buy some little gadgets.

The Orvis in Bath on the other hand is really just a clothes shop with a tiny fishing section upstairs. It's so small that it's really 50:50 (or maybe 75:25 against...) whether they'll have what you're looking for. The fly fishing staff are very nice but it's just a clothing shop. Seems to be doing ok on that basis mind you.

Vintage Badger

Easier said than done... put your heart and soul, all your money, and virtually every waking hour into a business and hope it takes off and does well. Then, if it does, along comes a venture capital company who'll make you such a massive offer you can't refuse it to buy the company off you. Then you can watch them screw it up or asset strip it, close it down, and sell the brand name on within 5 years!

D

Deleted member 32104

Easier said than done... put your heart and soul, all your money, and virtually every waking hour into a business and hope it takes off and does well. Then, if it does, along comes a venture capital company who'll make you such a massive offer you can't refuse it to buy the company off you. Then you can watch them screw it up or asset strip it, close it down, and sell the brand name on within 5 years!
Weren't you familiar with irony? Because that is what it was.

mike fox

I wonder if Orvis UK need to jump onto the bandwagon?

Last edited:

Latest posts