Orvis Superfine Carbon Fly Rod

Clunk

Anyone got experience in one at 9ft #5 ?
Sounds like it might be up my street, and I'm getting a hankering that won't stop. It would be for medium to large rivers and mainly casting a single dry.

Overmiwadrers

They are lovely rods . Quite different to most these days very much a full action . I love mine I have them in 6ft 6 inch 3 wt , 7ft 4 wt , 8ft 2 wt , and the Superfine touch in 8ft 6 inch 3 wt, You will either love it or hate it . personally I prefer them in shorter and lighter line weights not sure Id like a 9ft 5 wt . Great for delicate presentation and shorter range work on rivers .

O M W

Clunk

They are lovely rods . Quite different to most these days very much a full action . I love mine I have them in 6ft 6 inch 3 wt , 7ft 4 wt , 8ft 2 wt , and the Superfine touch in 8ft 6 inch 3 wt, You will either love it or hate it . personally I prefer them in shorter and lighter line weights not sure Id like a 9ft 5 wt . Great for delicate presentation and shorter range work on rivers .

O M W
(y)
They would appear to be made to suit my slower, not so great, casting. My only worry is if a 9ft #5 has enough backbone for fairly large exposed and often windy rivers. Don't often need longer casts than say 40 feet, but.....

Couple of other rods might also suit but I might be chasing something that makes no difference to what I'm already using.

Overmiwadrers

(y)
They would appear to be made to suit my slower, not so great, casting. My only worry is if a 9ft #5 has enough backbone for fairly large exposed and often windy rivers. Don't often need longer casts than say 40 feet, but.....

Couple of other rods might also suit but I might be chasing something that makes no difference to what I'm already using.
I would say you would be fine , I can put a good line out with the 8ft 2 wt they are not a noodle. Just slower and fuller flexing than many rods now. my go to 9ft 5 wt is a loop opti stream, Which is not a fast rod by any means .

O M W

Clunk

I would say you would be fine , I can put a good line out with the 8ft 2 wt they are not a noodle. Just slower and fuller flexing than many rods now. my go to 9ft 5 wt is a loop opti stream, Which is not a fast rod by any means .

O M W
I don't buy often, last rod was well over 5 years ago and I've been happy enough with my current 9 footer. However, recently it feels a tad heavy and sluggish and I've been looking at slimmer, lighter models.
Others I'm thinking of are the Sage rods. Mod & Circa and as an outsider a Redington CT (have an eight and half foot 4 weight) I've had a brief cast with the Mod on the river and it felt like I could get on with it, but the Orvis has my attention most.

Overmiwadrers

I don't buy often, last rod was well over 5 years ago and I've been happy enough with my current 9 footer. However, recently it feels a tad heavy and sluggish and I've been looking at slimmer, lighter models.
Others I'm thinking of are the Sage rods. Mod & Circa and as an outsider a Redington CT (have an eight and half foot 4 weight) I've had a brief cast with the Mod on the river and it felt like I could get on with it, but the Orvis has my attention most.
I agree with you about faster rods. My rods include several superfines , Winstons , Scott G , Vision Cults , Interesting you mention the Sage Circa I have that in the 7ft 9 " 3 wt and its an absolute peach. My only other Sages are an old Sp and an XP travel rod .

O MW

PaulD

I can put a good line out with the 8ft 2 wt they are not a noodle.
I have a 6' 6", 2wt Full Flex (5.5) Superfine and that is a total 'noodle', it's like casting with a bit of cooked spaghetti. I too have a number of Winston and cane rods for my stream fishing that are enjoyably 'slow'. I wouldn't say the Superfine was as enjoyable.

Overmiwadrers

I have a 6' 6", 2wt Full Flex (5.5) Superfine and that is a total 'noodle', it's like casting with a bit of cooked spaghetti. I too have a number of Winston and cane rods for my stream fishing that are enjoyably 'slow'. I wouldn't say the Superfine was as enjoyable.
I have never tried casting with Cooked spaghetti so I suppose I will have to believe you

OMW

Secret Angler

I've used one and agree they are very soft - sloppy I'd say. I didn't think much of it. Winstons the best for slower rods in my view.