Orvis superfine - reel to match?

Mike N

Buzz said:
i hate the memory these standard arbor wee reels give lines.

Exactly my concern as well. I thought about cutting an old fly line down to about 35 feet and then adding extra backing.

BTW - What do people think about a DT with the flea??? I've got a new DT 4wt line thats just itching for some water time...but then I don't expect to be roll casting (as) much with this rod.

Any thoughts?

Mike

JJO

I bought a Danielsson nymph to go with my sliding ring 'One ounce'. It's a tight squeeze to get on the reel seat and once it's on it looks way too big. Quickly reverted back to a Hardy Featherweight. In reality the first 15'-20' feet of the 444 on the reel that get fished most the time don't coil anyway.

guest27

Cothi said:
I have the Marquis 3 and I think it will be just the ticket. Pure fluke that I have it. Bought some 20 years ago to go with a 7ft Hardy Graphite which I also still have. Sweet combination, hardly used.

Talking rubbish and wishful thinking as usual. Just found the Marquis and it's a 5. Too heavy for the rod, as is a Vosseler DC2. I have a Lamson "something" bought in 1996, #4, so will now try that - if I can find it! I seem to be inexorably gravitating towards the CFO I.

BOF39

I found the Lamson Lightspeed to be a good match for my 4wt superfine. Lovely reel.

TonyR

Mike N said:
BTW - What do people think about a DT with the flea??? I've got a new DT 4wt line thats just itching for some water time...but then I don't expect to be roll casting (as) much with this rod.

Any thoughts?

Mike
Cut it in half and use one half only. Save the other half in a dark place for when the first half wears out. You're unlikely ever to be casting more than half a full line (and usually nothing like that) with a 6` rod.

I would steer clear of the CFO Is: marvels of engineering but too small to be fully functonal? I have the old model CFO 123 disc, which is the next size up and it is spot on for a 4 weight.

Theo

Trade Member
Buzz said:
For my bum i have the CFO II.
For the tippet i am thinking about using a 3/4 sirrus i have, but i hate the memory these standard arbor wee reels give lines.

Likewise, Buzz and MikeN. That's why I wasn't really wondering about the CFO, but I did spot the Battenkill Large Arbour in the 1-3wt, which should put fewer curls in a nice little line...

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/produc..._id=694&cat_id=6795&subcat_id=6796&pf_id=12HL

I've also gone "ooh, ahh" at the Hardy Flyweight...

http://www.hardyfishing.com/index.php?if=view&pid=179

... and then "ow, ow, ow" at the price which is even more painful than the Orvises... because, like Cothi, I really can't get my head round spending more on the reel than on the bleedin' rod (the One Ounce 6ft6 2wt, in my case).

More investigation needed. I've got a good idea, but it could just as easily turn out to be a bad one, so I won't post it here yet.

Theo

PS: did anyone mention the words "retail feeding frenzy"? :rolleyes:

guest27

Just had a chat with nogoodboyo. We have a recently bought #4 DT line which we intend cutting in half. We are now thinking of a cheap "plastic" or bakelite type reel for the Flea - the weight of such a reel should be about right, the cost negligible and there is little if any likelihood of it being "ripped" by a leviathan. So, in terms of functionality, as distinct from aesthetic delight, why not a light, plastic cheapo?

Buzz

I think because its a cheap plastic cheapo.
Have you not noticed the correlation between how much you spend on fishing tackle and your attractiveness to the opposite sex.
I thought you were old and wise?

tigermoth

Buzz said:
I think because its a cheap plastic cheapo.
Have you not noticed the correlation between how much you spend on fishing tackle and your attractiveness to the opposite sex.
I thought you were old and wise?

At last... the voice of true reason:D

guest27

Deleted as it was not so funny this morning as it seemed last night.

Last edited:

guest21

Cothi said:
........... why not a light, plastic cheapo?

Having just returned from the pub I am distraught that I've found this!

Surely the words PLASTIC and (is it a word?) CHEAPO cannot be uttered in the same breath as "fly fishing". I mean, where do 'plastic' and 'cheapo' lie within the ambience of our preferred diversion?

Admittedly, 'aerospace', 'hardalloy' and 'disc drag' are harsh expressions when compared to 'purple loosestrife', 'squirrel tail' and 'March Brown' but surely, even in this modern age, there must be some middle ground?

foreignmuck

calson said:
Is there any out there cheaper and lighter than this at 85g?

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13376
:eek:
My first flyreel was one of the OG cast iron professionals. The spring (which looked like it was made from recycled solder iron) on the clicker disintegrated before my new backing was wound on. It weighed a ton and had the ability to free spool for ever if you so much as breathed on it which led to such savage overwinds that it scarred me for life. I now have a fetish for extremley powerful disk drags even on 3wt outfits. Has anybody else owned one of these things and if so do you want to start a support group?

Taniwha

Hmm plastic. I find myself insufficiently ruthless to be that sensible. I like the look of the Austin Forbes magnesium number, but enough sanity remains to balk at paying that much for a dinky line holder.

A trawl across the pond pulled up this from www.basspro.com -

81666.jpg

2.5" 2.2 oz (63mm 63g) US$90 - slightly smaller than a BBS1 and two-thirds the weight (also comes in black). Hardly seems possible that machined alum alloy could be so light yet have capacity for a DT4.

Anyone heard of it?

Fat Bloke With Stick

Buzz said:
For my bum i have the CFO II.
For the tippet i am thinking about using a 3/4 sirrus i have, but i hate the memory these standard arbor wee reels give lines.

Take the line off the reel when you are not using it. I have made up some large diameter spools, about 12", out of polyboard, and now store all my lines on them, not on the reels.
It takes about 2 minutes to hook on and load back onto the reel, this can be done when you get to the water or the night before. I dont bother with larger size line, 5 upwards but for 2-4 it works great.
Using Snowbee XS also helps, best line I've found for low memory.

FB

Varzy Warzy

Lighthouse said:
I'm awaiting the arrival of a 6' 6", 2 wt. I've already sourced the reel.

JAForbes001.jpg

I found it on Ebay in the US, made in the UK by J Austin-Forbes. It weighs 1.6oz.

So it was you! I had my eye on that reel to. Im a huge fan of the Forbes reels, also the aerial is one of the sexiest reels around. I cant understand all the chat about reels being nothing but line containers, for me they are things of beauty to give you great pleasure in your fishing while your not catching or stalking. So I had now worries about buying the lightest Sage available to go with my TXL. I built the rod with no holes barred, finishing up much lighter than the factory ones. I've got other small reels but in these sizes LA is a blessing.

txl.jpg