Fly Fishing Forum banner

Osprey fishing records

863 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Cap'n Fishy 
#1 ·
Thought it might interest people on here. Following are stats for the pair of Ospreys on Clywedog. This year they have one male chick only (2 eggs didn't hatch) so will give a better idea of fish these majestic birds eat in a season……
Font Slope Rectangle Parallel Circle
Slope Line Font Parallel Circle
Organism Rectangle Font Parallel Circle

See less See more
Reactions: dgp
#2 ·
I am often privileged to share hill lochs with an osprey (occasionally 2 birds). They do not seem to be at all bothered by my presence and I have had them hover and dive well within 50m of me.
But I am jealous of the ease with which they can move to a different loch if there are no fish about!

#3 ·
I caught a fish on Frandy yesterday that looked like it had had a close shave with an osprey, judging by its injuries - looked very much like talon puncture marks. Definitely not a cormorant.

I see a lot of ospreys struggle with big stockie rainbows these days - I bet they wish they could get by on the likes of roach and wee brownies. A couple of years ago I saw one try and try to get airborne with a Frandy rainbow and in the end it gave up and let it go. This one on Carron took several minutes to get airborne...

Heave!!!

Phew!!!

As an aside, I also had another fish that had really been in the wars. Looked like it had been in a knife fight and come off 2nd best. I don't think there are pike in Frandy??? But anyway, it didn't look like typical pike injures (see quite a few of these on Menteith these days). It had an assortment of punctures and slashes over its body - well spread out. I would have taken a photo of it, but I didn't want to keep it a moment longer. Managed to unhook it without touching it. Any ideas what it might have been???

Col

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.