Osprey hooks?

williamash2

Hi all, I'm shopping around for hooks at the moment and wanted to ask what people think of Osprey hooks? They're not at all expensive but I'm worried that may mean poor quality

BobP

No, they are excellent quality. I use the heavyweight wet fly hook VH221 in 10-14 and if you can straighten one of those then you've definitely had 3 Shredded Wheats. There is also a light nymph hook 1x long VH211 which is a good hook. Ideal for longer patterns such as damsels. Cannot fault them for the moneym

sightbob

Actually been using barbless heavyweight 10s today, to me theyre more medium weights.
Also just got an order of Oshamo barbless delivered which have never failed me and have
a good range of sizes and profiles. Was only using Ospreys at someones request as dont like
Barbless standard sproat or round bend hooks myself
John

pentlandflyman

I use the barbless osprey hooks and they are great, limited patterns but I've tied thousands of flies and not one bad one. I can't comment on the barbed version but never seen anyone moan about them.

arkle

Flathead, Veniard's along with other people import Osprey hooks, they just like to stick their name in front as a marketing ploy.

fishing hobo

I do buy from them. They don't have the cases which can be handy in quickly identifying the hook eg b170 is the light olive colour but I agree, it is cheap when you buy from them because they buy the bulk box and pass on some of the savings in not paying for the plastic cases.