Ouseburn (newcastle)

ozzy37

for anyone living in newcastle already know the ouseburn (or jesmond dene most people know it as) is probably the most polluted river i can think of, anyone know of why this is? iv always dreamt since a kid of the river being well enough to hold fish or even hold trout :eek: obviously its miles away from being a reality, but seeing as its always been in a dream of mine i would at least like to see an improvement and would like to campaign to get the water quality improved. anyone care to point me in the right direction on who to contact and how to go about it? its really sad that people have just accepted the fact that nothing can survive in this river :( and never will until something is done about it.
cheers in advance,
Ozzy

kev57

That would be a worthwhile project. I've known the Ouseburn for over 50 years and it used to be a lot worse than it is now. I suspect that a lot of the large houses around Jesmond Dene had cess pits draining into the river. The smell used to be appalling. Further upstream it flowed past several slag heaps. These days they've all been landscaped but perhaps they are still leaching out toxins into the stream?

B

Becks and Brown Trout

I was involved in some engineering works on the Ouseburn Viaduct. The early historical records were interesting. As you probably know the head of the burn under the rail viaduct is pretty much all made up ground. 100s of years ago the valley under the rail viaduct was basically a city tip with all sorts going into it. Over the years its been capped and built over. No one knows what is under there.

Andy

Becks and Brown Trout

discodazz

Last year i contacted the local council regarding doing some entomological surveys in jesmond dene. Nobody seemed to know which department i should contact to get permission so i put it on hold.
If you look at the ouseburn on an OS map and follow it out of newcastle it actually stretches quite far. I often pass some of the upstream stretches and they do look 'fishy' but you would have to find the landowner to gain permission to fish it which is always more difficult than it sounds and there may not be any fish.
Oddly there are regular sightings of salmon at the mouth of the Ouseburn.

I also asked Gateshead council about fishing the river Team which flows through Team valley trading estate from Causey arch and beyond. They told me to contact the Environment Agency who told me to contact the local council!!:confused: It looks to have had improvement work done at some point and i would be interested to know if it holds any fish.

Daryn

guest23

The following might surprise you :-

1.Its rare for me to post here these days, but this one I had to reply to.

2. Much more interesting, it did used to have fish in it. Many years ago when I was at Heaton Grammar we'd spend the dinnertime at the old cafe, not far from the waterfall:). Apart from minnows or sticklebacks there were some very small jack pike there :eek: We used to tease them with the proverbial milk bottle top and length of mono. So there is hope.

And what about the stories of the underground hidden town and bomb shelter under the viaduct.

Bye for now.

Bill :)

Haggisboy

I know there is an old lead mine under the viaduct. there are some (or used to be about 5 years ago) mine water discharges into the Ouseburn just below the viaduct too quite near the Cluny bar. teh steram has a bunch of iron OChre in it at that point as a result. From what I remember the stream in the Dean was white and cloudy......sewage? Its a bonnie park and stretch of water.

pikecatcher

Approach the Environment Agency - they have a statutory duty to prevent pollution, improve the aquatic environment.

Do it in writing - ask them what classification in water quality it is, and what they intend to do about it.

Start a petition and post it on here, loads will sign it.

pikecatcher

So your rather contemptuous answer is........err.....to do nothing?

Sorry that I couldn't "be bothered to read" a 659 page report which I did not know existed. :eek:

If local opinion and publicity shames them into it, the EA might be pushed into doing something. Petitions can work if they are used with other things to raise awareness. In my view the EA hates criticism and being questioned about it's record and spending etc.

toxic evo

Very interesting thread
I'm from wallsend and visit the Dean and often wondered why the stream was
The colour it is and stinks so now I know
I'll sign your petition no problem

Toxic evo ( no pun intended )
Dave

armour

New year eve down on the ousburn 2017 there are brown trout in the river small ones and roach and young flounder so there is hope ,I think the runoff the roads and people dumping stuff in will keep it at its present state.

easker1

A few years back the ouseburn allotments were under scrutiny because slag from consett Iron works was used to create pathways, containing all sorts of toxins, any body know what the status is now? I know some sea fishers who come up to the fish near the mouth of the burn for flounders, so they may be hope yet,:) easker1

wear_n_derwent

I don’t know the actual water quality, but as mentioned already by others, given that the Ouseburn is urban in almost its entirety (in fact, probably its entirety now, given the Great Park developments) it’s never likely to be great. A stocking of roach in the 90’s was destroyed by a single incident and anything in there in 2012 would probably have suffered similarly given the storm drain runoff that year.

The quality of the brackish water in the tidal Tyne is reasonably good now and there are healthy invertebrate populations, flounders and smelt, and codling from small to good size taken around the bridges and further up towards Dunston. Flounder are tolerant of and will readily migrate into fresh water, where they are able to pass obstacles. Trout obviously have tolerance of both fresh and salt water as well.

Upstream of the bridges at Newcastle/Gateshead, a wedge of fresh water is known to form over the top of a layer of denser brackish water pushed upstream by the tides. This is what has probably assisted a population of dace in getting from the Tyne into the lower Derwent, which flows in near the Metro Centre. The freshwater wedge seems to be mixed by the strong currents flowing through the bridges area, but could stretch downstream of there when there’s excess flow following a big spate in the river system. There have been several of these in the Tyne catchment in the past decade, which can also push freshwater fish down into the estuary. Possibly, roach (&/or dace) have been so forced downstream, survived in the freshwater wedge, and then sought freshwater or refuge in the Ouseburn, whose outflow is only just over half a mile downstream of the bridges.

W_n_D

When the Float Comes In: A Year’s Fishing on River, Lake & Sea in the Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria

The Fishing Archives