out dated flies

Gdog

Good question, main reason I suppose is that I moved onto other waters where buzzers and other nymphs were more productive. I rarely fished Brenig or large stillwaters in the 90s and 00s.
I remember I had a day on Rutland in the 80s and the fish went mad for an Invicta, but unfortunately they kept breaking me.
When I Iived in London in the late 80's to mid 90's and fished Bewl, Weirwood and Pitsford reservoirs, wet fly fishing with Soldier Palmers, Grenadier, Wickhams, mini muddlers etc. was still popular. A friend of mine who I fished with then, who lives in North London and still fishes the Midland reservoirs saw a change after the hot summers of the 1990's. Fly species such as olives and sedges declined after falling water levels during droughts. At about the same time the blob became popular. My friend and I'm sure many people on this forum noticed the lack of some fly hatches to bring trout up to the surface, a change to newer flies like the blob, methods like the washing line etc. and fewer anglers using a floating line with wet flies on Midland reservoirs.

Last edited:

Mrtrout

I’m just having a big sort out with my fly boxes, I tend to see what have been most successful for me this season then replenish only those.
I carry three small compartment boxes of dries and one large nymph
box. Much as I hate CDC flies and all the bringing back to life with potions after they get waterlogged they still prove to be great fish catchers, the simpler the better, like a plume fly.
Any fish that saw your old fly pattern several years ago are more than likely dead now so they are still new flies to the upcoming fish.
I tend to shy away now from gaudy looking flies and concentrate on plain easy to tie ones. I think a selection of sizes of the proven ones is a good idea, as of right now, tiny F flies seem to be working best.
My problem is seeing the blighters at distance so anything that helps like a fluorescent wing post on a Para Adams.
A subject I’ve mentioned on here before is hook colour, ie black, bronze or silver, I’ve proven to myself on many occasions that fish are more likely to take a black hook so I only tie on those now, I’m talking dry flies here, nymphs etc doesn’t really matter.
S.

Cap'n Fishy

I don't think there is really such a thing as an outdated fly.

Peach doll, anyone? It was massive in the late 1980s. Everyone was catching on peach dolls. It was instrumental in me catching on Loch Leven in the National final in 1988 and getting my first cap as a result. And in the B&H final on Rutland, one of our team caught a total of 9 fish over the 2 sessions. and all 9 of them were on a peach doll. So, who today is catching fish regularly on a peach doll? :unsure:

D

Deleted member 93217

So, who today is catching fish regularly on a peach doll? :unsure:
No idea. In order to catch on a fly it has to be fished I suppose. Perhaps folks have gone back to Baby Dolls - now there's a blast from the 1970s 😜

BobP

New flies need new materials/hooks meaning sales.
I wonder why we aren't all going around in Model T Fords, or Austin 7's or Ford Prefects. They are cars after all, and can get you around the country. Better still, think of the planet and use a horse & cart.

D

Deleted member 93217

Erm... it was the question asked by the OP, I guess... :unsure:
What about that other 70s Glam Rock icon - the Jersey Herd? Haven't seen one of those since Slade was last number 1. It's odd how things change - take a Hedgehog add a hackle and call it a Sedge Hog. Nothing is much different in fly tying other than the wider range of materials used. Even innovative flies like Wyatt's DHE. Bob himself described it as a floating hare's ear nymph, the real difference is the way it's fished.

Paul_B

Peach doll, anyone? It was massive in the late 1980s. Everyone was catching on peach dolls. It was instrumental in me catching on Loch Leven in the National final in 1988 and getting my first cap as a result. And in the B&H final on Rutland, one of our team caught a total of 9 fish over the 2 sessions. and all 9 of them were on a peach doll. So, who today is catching fish regularly on a peach doll? :unsure:

The baby dolls have progressed, the original white still catches but now we all sorts of dolls

whitehorses

We 'discovered' fritz and blobs. If they're up for a chase I reckon a sunburst blob will out fish a peach doll every time.
and how do you do that then you cant possibly have a controlled test, its never the same water or fish for that liking ,and sunlight is constantly changing ,even if 2 anglers cast to the same fish at the same time they will be retrieved at different speeds and different directions

philm

and how do you do that then you cant possibly have a controlled test, its never the same water or fish for that liking ,and sunlight is constantly changing ,even if 2 anglers cast to the same fish at the same time they will be retrieved at different speeds and different directions
Yes, obviously. That's why I used the word "reckon". There are few definite things in fishing, that's the fun of it.

Cap'n Fishy

What about that other 70s Glam Rock icon - the Jersey Herd? Haven't seen one of those since Slade was last number 1. It's odd how things change - take a Hedgehog add a hackle and call it a Sedge Hog. Nothing is much different in fly tying other than the wider range of materials used. Even innovative flies like Wyatt's DHE. Bob himself described it as a floating hare's ear nymph, the real difference is the way it's fished.

I dunno why you are arguing with me? You seem to be answering the OP's question. :unsure:

Cap'n Fishy

We 'discovered' fritz and blobs. If they're up for a chase I reckon a sunburst blob will out fish a peach doll every time.

We used to fish peach dolls more as a nymph than a 'lure'. I've even caught using one on the tail of a dry fly rig when figure-of-eighting 2 dries on the droppers. But you are probably right in the way that some things just go out when other things come in to take their place. If that didn't happen, we would have even more sh*te cluttering-up our fly boxes than we already do! 🤪

anzac

I wonder why we aren't all going around in Model T Fords, or Austin 7's or Ford Prefects. They are cars after all, and can get you around the country. Better still, think of the planet and use a horse & cart.
To which I must ask whether you can perceive differences between the development of motor cars, and a fly or lure, their purposes, uses, safety and technology?

Comparing vehicles and fishing is like comparing a mobile phone to a plate of pasta.

Latest posts