out dated flies

Cap'n Fishy

To which I must ask whether you can perceive differences between the development of motor cars, and a fly or lure, their purposes, uses, safety and technology?

Comparing vehicles and fishing is like comparing a mobile phone to a plate of pasta.
Don't hold your breath, waiting for a good answer!

philm

We used to fish peach dolls more as a nymph than a 'lure'. I've even caught using one on the tail of a dry fly rig when figure-of-eighting 2 dries on the droppers. But you are probably right in the way that some things just go out when other things come in to take their place. If that didn't happen, we would have even more sh*te cluttering-up our fly boxes than we already do! 🤪
Yep, blobs catch stationary too. Lots of people fish a fab on the point of a washing line with a couple of nymphs hereabouts, then kid themselves that they're nymphing even though 3/4s of the fish have come to the fab :)

whitehorses

To which I must ask whether you can perceive differences between the development of motor cars, and a fly or lure, their purposes, uses, safety and technology?

Comparing vehicles and fishing is like comparing a mobile phone to a plate of pasta.
cars were heavy some even ran on steam alas they broke down and overheated the modern cars are built for efficency and comfort with all the latest state of the art technology ,maybe thats what were doing with flies adding technological advancements as we go along but no matter how much i love my lada i prefer a model t ,maybe im sentimental

Cap'n Fishy

Yep, blobs catch stationary too. Lots of people fish a fab on the point of a washing line with a couple of nymphs hereabouts, then kid themselves that they're nymphing even though 3/4s of the fish have come to the fab :)

Ha-ha - tell me about it! Heard that claim loads of times. 😜 But I still think a slim peach doll has different properties from a FAB.

I still carry a few peach dolls in several hues in my box, but I couldn't tell you the last time I fished one.

philm

But I still think a slim peach doll has different properties from a FAB.

I still carry a few peach dolls in several hues in my box, but I couldn't tell you the last time I fished one.
Maybe; careful with that gauntlet though ;) :). The peach doll missed the cut in my boxes a long while ago.

Elwyman

It's the same with salmon flies, hundreds of traditional patterns replaced by Allys Shrimps, Cascades, Park Shrimps, Temple Dogs etc etc etc.
The original fully dressed salmon flies were like works of art, far beyond my own tying skills, but they were 'modernised' with new materials like bucktail and artic fox for wings.

There are a lot of influences from Scandinavia, US etc in the flies we now use for trout and salmon fishing.

I used to use an Ace of Spades lure successfully at Brenig in the 80s....it has been replaced with various marabou tailed lures in black and other colours, often with a bead head, when I occasionally use lures nowadays. These tadpole or wooly b*gger type lure are probably more successful than some of the old lures I used. Who doesn't use a blue flash damsel nowadays, the movement in the tail is amazing to watch.

Having said all that, I'm fascinated by the history of the traditional Scottish, Irish, Welsh, English and Yorkshire (spider) patterns which can be unbeatable on their day.

Elwyman

I started using a damsel pattern without the blue flash back in the 90s, and came across the blue flash pattern a couple of years ago....it really does make a good fly even better.

original cormorant

How about a montana - when did you last tie one on. I don't think I have one in a box that I take fishing - I enjoyed tying them.

Elwyman

How about a montana - when did you last tie one on. I don't think I have one in a box that I take fishing - I enjoyed tying them.
I still use them a bit on small stillwaters over the winter. Many of my lures nowadays are basically a Montana with a long marabou tail.

Cap'n Fishy

I still use them a bit on small stillwaters over the winter. Many of my lures nowadays are basically a Montana with a long marabou tail.

I also use a mini-Montana when swinging or straight-lining nymphs...

Mini-Montana_8551.jpg