out dated flies

Cap'n Fishy

The 'peach' doll I used to use for Loch Leven brownies is in the bottom right here...

As I said, it's more of a salmon pink. The body is fluoro chenille and the back/tail are two strands of fluoro yarn.

codyarrow

A fly which gave me my first red letter day when learning to fly fish was the Whisky fly. From memory the shop bought pattern used was a silver body with orange hackle feathers forming the wing.
I turned up at Fewston reservoir in Yorkshire in the mid 70s and caught over 20 rainbows from my first fishing spot by the corner of the dam.
First rainbow I caught was on a whisky fly. The wing on mine was bucktail though. It looks old fashioned now. We did not seem to catch anything on it the year after. I remember the big thing the next year being pink dog nobblers.

loxie

Peter Ross is a strange one. It was probably my No. 1 sea trout fly on Loch Shiel in the 1970/80s. In recent years I have got back into loch fishing for sea trout... and I can't catch a thing on a Peter Ross.
shrug.001.gif
I had a sea trout on Hope on a Peter Ross in July: I'm still very old fashioned!

loxie

I will have given it a swim there in the past few years, as well as on Loch Lomond and the South Uist lochs. It seems to have died a death on me for some reason. This is my go-to tail fly on Hope these days...

Silver-chief_0036.jpg

Col
Mine was a double.

loxie

A fly which gave me my first red letter day when learning to fly fish was the Whisky fly. From memory the shop bought pattern used was a silver body with orange hackle feathers forming the wing.
I turned up at Fewston reservoir in Yorkshire in the mid 70s and caught over 20 rainbows from my first fishing spot by the corner of the dam.

A classic lure from the same era is the Sweeney Todd, which still has a place in my sea trout fly box.

Never used a Peach Doll but the original white version was a killing fly for me, including some really nice Perch from Cromwell Lake in Brighouse.
I think the original had an orange chenille body ribbed with wide flat silver tinsel, orange cock hackle and orange bucktail wing. Could have been orange floss or I could be mistaken. I will undoubtedly have some somewhere.

Cap'n Fishy

Mine was a double.
Jeezo - well, there you go! I have never tied a Peter Ross double. I never used to do the 'double on the tail' thing back in the 70s and 80s when I was fishing (and catching on) it, but I have developed things into an either/or system in recent years for loch sea trout. So, I will try a double on the tail to take it down a bit, and that either works, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, don't waste time changing patterns, but take the double off and put a 2nd muddler on and keep everything right on top of the water. This is what has been working for me recently. (Probably all go pear-shaped next year! 🤪)

But I will tie-up a couple of Peter Ross doubles to have a go with. Cheers! (y)

Col

Elwyman

I think the original had an orange chenille body ribbed with wide flat silver tinsel, orange cock hackle and orange bucktail wing. Could have been orange floss or I could be mistaken. I will undoubtedly have some somewhere.
I remember having some Whisky flies with orange bucktail wing as well. Apart from that one red letter day, It wasn't a great fly for me.

BobP

I remember having some Whisky flies with orange bucktail wing as well. Apart from that one red letter day, It wasn't a great fly for me.
The original had a butt of Glo Brite No 5 which was used as the tying thread and as a rib over a gold Selloptape body. This was then varnished prior to the Orange hackle and the Orange calf tail wing being added.

Small wonder it found little favour with commercial fly dressers.

running bear

A whiskey (to that exact tying) and viva team was the go to on the rainbow lakes near me in the late 80s, early 90s.

On the greenwells, I've a mate that does really well on it on the rivers, and I frequently revert to a kites imperial early season when more modern patterns arent delivering. Got two heron feathers last week on a session, so well chuffed.

A currys red often gets a swim when I want a smaller salmon fly on a dropping river, indeed i caught my first salmon of this season on a size 14 currrys red when everyone else was fishing calvins, just a month short of 31 years after i first got a fish on it.

baca157

I love outdated flies. My two ‘go to’ river wet flies are Greenwell’s Glory and Hen Blackie, both tied Clyde Style. Fish love them.

Cheers,
Sebastian

whitehorses

I love outdated flies. My two ‘go to’ river wet flies are Greenwell’s Glory and Hen Blackie, both tied Clyde Style. Fish love them.

Cheers,
Sebastian
greenwells ,black and silver , coachman ,black pennell,wickhams ,w/hen bloah ,etc etc all great flies dunno if id catergorize them as outdated flies ,id say there still very much in fashion ,

Whinging pom

thinking of the Traditional Flies you have to call Tupps indespensible out dated due to the effort to get the materials. I notice Davie Mc Phail does a nice version but it’s so far from the original. Shame as we get a good amount of Pale Wateries.
Anyone got access to an incontinent Ram and a lemon spaniel?

baca157

greenwells ,black and silver , coachman ,black pennell,wickhams ,w/hen bloah ,etc etc all great flies dunno if id catergorize them as outdated flies ,id say there still very much in fashion ,
I suppose they are not really outdated then. Just very old. Anyone else fishes Hen Blackie? I only came across this fly last year and it’s been a revelation. Works all year round too.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Cap'n Fishy

I don't think anyone is claiming that such 'evergreens' as Black Pennell, Blae & Black, Greenwells, etc are outdated, are they?

What we are looking for are flies that no one has used for many years, surely?

Step forward anyone who has been using the following recently:

Hardy's gold butcher
Grouse and green
Woodcock and mixed
Teal and yellow
The Poacher
McLeod's Olive
Burleigh
Heckham Peckham
Lunn's Particular
Haslam
Baigent's Brown
Bloody Mary
Malloch's Favourite
Mary Ann
The Professor
Grey Monkey
Parmacheene Belle
Langholm Silver
John Storey
Bradshaw's Yellow
Treacle Parkin

... to name but a few... 😜

LukeNZ

Might be intetesting, and fun, to start a thread on own design killer flies - to include, photos and their fish tally.

Will get onto it, snd kick it off this evening with a couple, when I get home from work

Who knows where our creations might get fished!

🙃

Last edited:

Whinging pom

Oh treacle Parkin’s given me the munchies !
houghton ruby?
flights fancy
Adjutant blue
Little Marryat
Rough olive
Dark olive quill
Locks fancy
Hertfordshire Alder
Halfords Welshmans button
Lunns hackle caperer
Are a few more being written about in 1953 by Cf Walker. Meanwhile Stanley Mathews was sticking it to Bolton Wanderers.

patk

I don't think anyone is claiming that such 'evergreens' as Black Pennell, Blae & Black, Greenwells, etc are outdated, are they?

Hardy's gold butcher
Grouse and green
Woodcock and mixed
Teal and yellow
The Poacher
McLeod's Olive
Burleigh
Heckham Peckham
Lunn's Particular
Haslam
Baigent's Brown
Bloody Mary
Malloch's Favourite
Mary Ann
The Professor
Grey Monkey
Parmacheene Belle
Langholm Silver
John Storey
Bradshaw's Yellow
Treacle Parkin

... to name but a few... 😜
Teal and Yellow produced a lot of night sea trout this year for me! Heckham Peckham is a fly i had completely forgotten unusual fly with a brilliant name!

whitehorses

Hardy's gold butcher
Grouse and green
Woodcock and mixed
Teal and yellow
The Poacher
McLeod's Olive
Burleigh
Heckham Peckham
Lunn's Particular
Haslam
Baigent's Brown
Bloody Mary
Malloch's Favourite
Mary Ann
The Professor
Grey Monkey
Parmacheene Belle
Langholm Silver
John Storey
Bradshaw's Yellow
Treacle Parkin

... to name but a few...
does it count if you never heard of them ?.i only came across the mc leods olive recently i think it was d mc p s channel,so i tied up a few of them both for river and lough ,now why didnt i use them ?well in my eyes they were a superb looking fly ,i simply didnt get a chance to fish them this year ,

Latest posts