out dated flies

LukeNZ

I don't think anyone is claiming that such 'evergreens' as Black Pennell, Blae & Black, Greenwells, etc are outdated, are they?

What we are looking for are flies that no one has used for many years, surely?

Step forward anyone who has been using the following recently:

Hardy's gold butcher
Grouse and green
Woodcock and mixed
Teal and yellow
The Poacher
McLeod's Olive
Burleigh
Heckham Peckham
Lunn's Particular
Haslam
Baigent's Brown
Bloody Mary
Malloch's Favourite
Mary Ann
The Professor
Grey Monkey
Parmacheene Belle
Langholm Silver
John Storey
Bradshaw's Yellow
Treacle Parkin

... to name but a few... 😜
Black Pennell was my all time most killing fly on Hebridean lochs. Pretty much had one on every team of three, below top fly.

Staggeringly consistant.

Cap'n Fishy

Teal and Yellow produced a lot of night sea trout this year for me! Heckham Peckham is a fly i had completely forgotten unusual fly with a brilliant name!

Ha-ha - I knew there would be someone using one off that list! (y) I should have made it a Teal and Green and a Grouse and Yellow! 😜

There was a thread very similar to this one not that long ago and I tied up some of these old patterns, specifically for it, including a Heckham Peckham...

does it count if you never heard of them ?.i only came across the mc leods olive recently

... and a McLeod's Olive...

Also...

Malloch's Favourite...

Colonel Downman...

Teal, blue and silver (or should it be teal blue and silver? :unsure:)...

Kingfisher butcher...

... and The Poacher...

Elwyman

I don't think anyone is claiming that such 'evergreens' as Black Pennell, Blae & Black, Greenwells, etc are outdated, are they?

Hardy's gold butcher
Grouse and green
Woodcock and mixed
Teal and yellow
The Poacher
McLeod's Olive
Burleigh
Heckham Peckham
Lunn's Particular
Haslam
Baigent's Brown
Bloody Mary
Malloch's Favourite
Mary Ann
The Professor
Grey Monkey
Parmacheene Belle
Langholm Silver
John Storey
Bradshaw's Yellow
Treacle Parkin

I'm sure I have a Haslam in my sea trout box, a famous fly from the Dovey. Also a Treacle Parkin in my Grayling box, rusting away and probably never used.

Elwyman

Black Pennell was my all time most killing fly on Hebridean lochs. Pretty much had one on every team of three, below top fly.

Staggeringly consistant.
Agreed, and probably my first choice of fly for a cast of 3 traditional wet flies for lakes of Northern England and North Wales.....at least it would be a toss up with a Bibio.

running bear

O

Lunn's Particular

Got my only fish of the evening rise Thursday past on a Lunns size 20, a 1.5lb jumper. They ignored every other spinner option before then, which has sent me to the vice, but more of that when i get my camera working properly.

Tangled

It's a rare day that I don't tie a black and peacock spider on at some point. I caught my very first fish on a fly with it several decades ago and it works just as well today.

It's mostly fashion, but not entirely, we do need to remove the flared trousers and padded shoulders from our fly boxes and keep the classic brogues and little black dresses.

fishing-fly-black-and-peacock-spider-trout-fly-XAYM05.jpg

The Endrick Spider

does it count if you never heard of them ?.i only came across the mc leods olive recently i think it was d mc p s channel,so i tied up a few of them both for river and lough ,now why didnt i use them ?well in my eyes they were a superb looking fly ,i simply didnt get a chance to fish them this year ,
You should try and get hold of Tom Stewart's book Two Hundred Popular Flies. Not only are all of the old favourites in there, he tries to find out a short history of the flies, the best position to place them on your cast, the best time of the season to fish them and instructions and drawings of how to tie them. Three of my old favourites are not in there though and they are the Ivens Brown and Green Nymph, his Green Nymph and the Jersey Herd. When Ivens tied his Green Nymph the body of the fly was made with Luron 2 which was a green nylon, the same colour as the weeds hence the name of the fly, 'Green Nymph'. The Jersey Herd got it's name from the material used for the body of the fly which was strips cut from the copper coloured tops off milk bottles. I am very lucky here for for 30 years I worked in the printing industry. If you ever walk into a book shop take a look at the paperback books. All those bright colours you see on the covers, although I have been retired for 20 years I still have rolls of offcuts of that material in all different colours. With the aid of a metal ruler and a scalpel thin strips are cut and then used as a body wrap when making flies. Gold, silver, copper, holographic red, green, blue etc, they are all covered. As stated in other posts I am a magpie when it comes to collecting fly-tying material. I would rather create a fly with material found rather than buy it, it all adds to the enjoyment of fly-tying and catching fish.

Steff-Peff

It's a rare day that I don't tie a black and peacock spider on at some point. I caught my very first fish on a fly with it several decades ago and it works just as well today.

It's mostly fashion, but not entirely, we do need to remove the flared trousers and padded shoulders from our fly boxes and keep the classic brogues and little black dresses.

Exactly the pattern I tied this morning :)

Cap'n Fishy

You should try and get hold of Tom Stewart's book Two Hundred Popular Flies. Not only are all of the old favourites in there, he tries to find out a short history of the flies, the best position to place them on your cast, the best time of the season to fish them and instructions and drawings of how to tie them. Three of my old favourites are not in there though and they are the Ivens Brown and Green Nymph, his Green Nymph and the Jersey Herd.

I have the first 3 volumes of Tom Stewart's "Fifty Popular Flies". I must have missed volume 4. They were my first reference books when I took up fly-tying as a laddie. Volume 3 was published in 1969. Ivens' book was published early 1950s, I think, so his flies might have made it into Tom Stewart's books, but they were probably still becoming more generally known, while all the patterns in Stewart's books had been around a while.

Col

Elwyman

I have a soft spot for the B&P spider because it was the fly which first gave me success with fishing nymph patterns slowly.
I was fishing Fewston in Yorkshire back in the 70s and a few fish were rising to buzzers. An angler next to me was catching a few and he shouted over ' black and peacock spider, but fish it slowly'.
Advice which has stood me in good stead ever since.

It was also the first fly pattern I ever tied, and I'm sure many others will say the same.

Vintage Badger

Since buying this old Wheatley fly box full of traditional, river-pattern dry flies, it's become one of my most treasured fly fishing possessions:

51480811109_0a034de0e2_c.jpg

Until reading this thread I never thought to check for a 'best before date', so tonight I looked at the back of the box and found this: :eek:

51480811129_805d19e746_c.jpg

You'll be pleased to know that I put the box and its contents straight in the bin. Thank goodness I realised, imagine how much time I could have wasted on an otherwise perfectly good stream by fishing one of those stale flies!

;)

Last edited: