out dated flies

JoeOh

The thing about the traditional cowdung pattern (if I remember correctly) is that it is a wet fly, is it not? The only naturals that trout eat are static and lying in the surface. So, any time they are on the water, me and my mates will be fishing dry flies for them. An olive or 'dirty yellow' half-hog is a decent pattern...

Olive-half-hog_4941.jpg

Col
Hi Cap'n, you are right re: wet fly as original looking at the web ..... was tied as a wet, but today many dry versions available for sale.
My first trout on the lough took the fly because I happened to have one in the box, not any entomologistical skill on my part, and the fish probably would have taken any pattern in it's eagerness to take. To be honest, I haven't used one for years, and I do not have any in my fly boxes now. Few cattle on the banks of Rutland Water.
Now a Sheep Dung fly...
OK, I'll quietly depart now
Cheers Joe

Cap'n Fishy

Further to discussion upthread about peach dolls...

Jimmy and I were on our club loch yesterday and we were mucking about with showing them different stuff. I said, "I'm going to try a Peach Doll, for old times' sake," so I did. So, I did.

I put one on and first cast I caught a fish on it. Dead-gen! 😜

Trossachs25Sep21_9395.jpg

First cast with one in about 30 years and it caught a fish!

I dunno if the fish rubbed its nose in the bottom mud in play, but the tail of the PD was right grubby afterwards - you can see it in the pic. I did my best to clean the dirt off it, but what do you know - it never caught another fish. Maybe it decided that having caught a fish, its job was done, or maybe it is that whole thing about wholly fluoro flies needing to be fresh and bright to be effective? :unsure:

Latest posts