Out of Body Experiences

jaybeegee

The first day of the season in these parts today. Finished work at half eleven, the start of my part timers weekend and was home ten minutes later. The Mem was busy working at her laptop, so I made tea and took mine out into the garden in lovely spring sunshine. After a while I saw a fish rise, then, a few minutes later he rose again. He was in a small eddy where the current wound around two rocks and which becomes pocket water she the level drops later in the season. There were an occasional fly over the water, a big upwing that I guessed was an ldo, but as I watched one drifted over the lie and was ignored. The fish rose again at nothing visible and I had to do something before he went down. I tied on a waterhen bloa and dunked it in the stream, it was a shortish cast and I lengthened line in the current and flicked the leader upstream to set the fly down into the side current just above where it joined the main stream, a short pull on the line to straighten the leader and sink the spider, keeping the rod tip up to minimise the drag. There was a sudden bulge in the surface of the eddy and the sag in the line straightened. A voice at my shoulder said “ I thought you were going to paint the fence?”
My blummin tea had gone cold as well! This lockdown can’t last for ever can it?

B

wobbly face

We can only dream! :sleep:
Git a phone call of a mate late this afternoon telling me the club stretch of the brook is out of bounds due to CV (only to be expected) but we can fish the free stretches above and below. Well he can as he is walking distance, I have to drive which would be a non essential journey, hmmmm needed for my mental well being! :cautious:
Plus, my internet has been hit and miss and phone line very crackly. :( No joy as yet from provider (TalkTalk).

Luckily I've got the latest "Fly Culture" to read and the E-book "Trout And Flies Getting Closer". (y)

jaybeegee

I must say it’s the non essential journey bit that’s convinced me to stay off the river. We can dream though but it’s cruel timing for us trout fishers with a finite number of opening days left.
B

lipslicker

Fishing is made for times like this. Perfect pastime. No reason to stop, as it fulfills everything you should be doing - self isolating and ensuring your mental health, and getting fresh air.

Obviously stupid drives are completely out of the question, and don't go to a shared fishery.

Dr. HIlary was asked if self-employed gardeners could go and garden for their customers, and he was told 'yes' , as long as he wasn't on public transport, and did not come into ANY contact with customers.

People just need to apply common sense in this.

Self-isolate and keep yourself safe, and others safe from you.

Break that cardinal rule, and my opinion is you should be jailed and fined harshly. Apart from that, virtually everything is fine.

Latest posts