Out of season river fishing

catzrob

Any suggestions for the Bath/Bristol area? Happy to travel a bit if needs be.

For clarity looking for grayling and any other legal target species (at present I’m not too hot on coarse seasons but will check before fishing). I will leave the trout well alone. Just don’t want to put down the fly rod when the ever-closer close of season arrives.

bobmiddlepoint

...(at present I’m not too hot on coarse seasons but will check before fishing).
Rivers and drains (thinking Somerset Levels when I say drains) coarse fish open season June 16th to March 14th inclusive. Plenty of pike to go at on the Levels.

Andy

icejohn

Well for good winter fishing for grayling with a fly rod then the test itchen pretty much are the only day ticket options. Wales has grayling but it's a long drive and no guarantee that the bit of river you end up will have fish on it pretty much hit and miss.

Ps I can't recommend the drains if you using a fly rod. Tried that and it was pants!
But you may catch pike on the fly.

kerryjordan

I’m unfamiliar with West Country rivers but could you not fish for chub and perch in waters that are known for coarse fishing? Possibly Stour/Avon?

JohnH

Wiltshire Avon ? Avon Springs stillwater fishery also has a nice stretch that's available on a reasonably priced day ticket from Fishing Breaks. Frome as suggested upthread is also a good call - if you can find a day ticket fishery.

delray

Salisbury and District have miles of great coarse river fishing for the winter and I believe Coarse membership is available and not too far from you. Grayling, Chub, Barbel, Pike, Dace etc etc.

catzrob

Great suggestions- thanks everyone! I will look at that little Avon link, Somerset and the frome. Frome angling association looks a good place to start, any experiences to share?

BobP

Certainly does. The current record came from a Fishing Breaks beat at Ilsington. 4lb 9oz I believe.

I was guiding a chap on the beat 3 years ago. It's a very hard beat to fish, but I found a pool on Day 1 out of 3 that I was there that I was sure must hold fish. On the afternoon in question I got the guy in position and he missed two takes that had me curling my toes inside my waders. Then he got a fish that turned out to be a grayling and was at least 2.75lb if not closer to 3. A second followed at 2.5 minimum and was followed by a third at around 2.25lb.

Three grayling like that in the space of ten minutes should have any grayling aficionado drooling. The guy was unimpressed!

icejohn

I wander what kind of grayling fishing that guy is used to if he was unimpressed. I suspect he just didn't know what he had caught that day ie in terms of good fishing.

I had a similar experience once I caught two perch around 3 lbs each in 10 min on a fly rod. Had never caught a perch before I was like nice fish coloured fish, obviously not big like carp.

Chap in my boat was like you just caught a once in a lifetime event it will never happen again etc and he was right. I can now appreciate it with hindsight - experience of catching a million smaller perch 10cm only knowing that the avg perch doesn't get anywhere near 3 lb.

Last edited:

BobP

I wander what kind of grayling fishing that guy is used to if he was unimpressed. I suspect he just didn't know what he had caught that day ie in terms of good fishing.
It wasn't a trout and therefore not as good. Until, that is, I pointed out that there were ardent grayling fishers who would trade their daughters in for three fish like that. THEN the penny dropped.