Outfit for upland lake recommendations

shropshire_lad

I'm sure this type of question has been asked numerous times but what would folks here recommend as an ideal set up for bank fishing upland lakes/lochs these days? I'm talking about small Welsh mountain lakes but probably equally applicable to Scottish lochs.

I say "these days" as back when I started things were generally heavier. I used an 11' rod with No 7 lines, the theory being the 11' allowed "dibbling" the top dropper and a No 7 line was needed to combat the wind.

However, the trend is lighter these days and I hear a lot of people taking about No. 5 being an ideal weight. Having tried a beautiful lightweight 9' No 5 outfit recently, I'm wondering if this would be a good choice?

noddy299

Phil I do more or less all my fishing with a 9' #5 onki. Go upto the #7 for reservoir or if its blowing a real hoolie. Or step it down to the 7' #3 for the really small streams. Changing tactics and mindset is more important than the stick in your hand I reckon.

If it was competition fishing. Different ballgame, percentages and marginal gains matter but if you are just having fun then why spend a fortune (and get the earache off the mrs) on having a stock of a thousand rods 3 inches longer than the next. Not that I don't have...10 or 12 maybe anyways of course.

Naefearjustbeer

I use a 10 foot 7 weight for everything, bit heavy for delicate presentation of dry flies but I have found adding an airflo tapered leader makes a difference. But I also use my rod on small rivers for salmon fishing so I think a 6 weight would be too light.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Wee Jimmy

I use 9’6 or 10’ #5 weights for bankfishing on those types of water Phil.I prefer the shorter one for dry fly work and the longer rod for pulling but I wouldn’t feel stuck for both methods with either of them.

Scotty Mitchell

Thanks chaps, very useful advice. What about line profiles? I get the impression WF's in various profiles are pretty used for everything on lakes these days? Are there any occasions when a DT is preferred?
For the kind of fishing you are intending doing with it Phil, I'd definitely go with a WF. Snowbee XS type profile.

JCP

Is this for banking it,boating it or both ? Looks like have it covered so far.Do like a DT for dries on a fair weather day especially from the boat.Once again a personal preference and not essential.Spare spool covers the need.DT handles sweet with minimal effort within normal dry fly ranges where can still see the flies :D

JP

shropshire_lad

Is this for banking it,boating it or both ? Looks like have it covered so far.Do like a DT for dries on a fair weather day especially from the boat.Once again a personal preference and not essential.Spare spool covers the need.DT handles sweet with minimal effort within normal dry fly ranges where can still see the flies :D

JP
Bank fishing generally.

Fuffa

I would be tempted with a sunray short head for such situations..it says for limited back cast space and shoots all out. I would think good for casting into the wind. For 4wt and upwards website seems to say. Vids on his website. But sold out. But he likes a 10ft rod

ohanzee

Thanks chaps, very useful advice. What about line profiles? I get the impression WF's in various profiles are pretty used for everything on lakes these days? Are there any occasions when a DT is preferred?
That's a good question rarely asked, a heather incline behind is pretty common so I don't go beyond a 40' head.
9' 5 line, mostly dries, predominantly wet fishers tend to go a bit heavier.

Last edited:

ohanzee

I think what you are comfortable using is more important than any specific size or weight, when you head up a hill you rarely get to see what a loch looks like in advance, part of the reason I like it, you figure out where to start every time you arrive at a new loch, working with what you have is part of it, its basic simple stuff in the main, a good walk with the anticipation of a thing hard won, catching completes the mission.

Carry a head torch, you will generally be back by dark but the one time you don't can get a bit hairy.