overcharge me ,NO WAY

icejohn

Definitely mistake but Phone customer services and ask them to explain.

I have used ebay for years and normally should be 10% commission and...paypal fees which is alot.... Certainly more than you think it should be.

Last edited:

icejohn

Think if u register as a business ac then new items incur vat.

As privately you could get a new birthday present headphones sell those on but the vat has already been paid.
Ebay in line with the taxman monitor things..... So if u taking the mick expect a knock on the door.

ian1104

Is it worth the hassle? Ebay fees, Paypal fees, VAT and then postage and packaging.
Bite the bullet and only pay postage and packaging by auctioning off for charity and raise much needed funds for worthy causes. (y)
Agreed, I never sell my flies... and if I did, it wouldn't be on ebay. Flies are ridiculously cheap on ebay! For me to make any profit, I would probably have to charge around £1.80 per fly just to make it worth my time/effort... and even then I'm not sure it would be! Compare that price to the cheaply-tied flies that are generally sold for 30p-50p each and you just can't compete.

sculpin_crusader

I have been selling a lot of surplus stuff, stuff that probably came from eBay in the first place, some made a profit some didn’t. I believe you only pay VAT on your sellers fees, same as you would whenever you pay for goods or services, eBay is a service.

I have sold quite a few flies on there, granted there are some very cheap flies out there, but if someone appreciates quality then they’ll pay for it. I don’t tie to sell, just sell surplus, I tend to over tie, fly tying is as much a hobby as the fishing for me. I generally make up little klink ‘n’ dink boxes comprising 6 klinks and 12 dink, 18 in total and I sell them for £25. Taking in to account fees and the cost of the box and materials I probably profit about a pound a fly which pays for my time. I normally sell in February and March and this pays for my club membership.

doobrysnatcher

I have been selling a lot of surplus stuff, stuff that probably came from eBay in the first place, some made a profit some didn’t. I believe you only pay VAT on your sellers fees, same as you would whenever you pay for goods or services, eBay is a service.

I have sold quite a few flies on there, granted there are some very cheap flies out there, but if someone appreciates quality then they’ll pay for it. I don’t tie to sell, just sell surplus, I tend to over tie, fly tying is as much a hobby as the fishing for me. I generally make up little klink ‘n’ dink boxes comprising 6 klinks and 12 dink, 18 in total and I sell them for £25. Taking in to account fees and the cost of the box and materials I probably profit about a pound a fly which pays for my time. I normally sell in February and March and this pays for my club membership.
25pound for 18 flies how much time does it take to buy thematerials tie the fly upload listing and post it, never mind the cost of materials ,your time,posting surely thats a loss

sculpin_crusader

I don’t view it as a loss, as I said I tie for fun, I don’t tie to order I only sell surplus. If I spend a evening per box that’s fine with me, it beats an extra hour at work for sure.

iainmortimer

Ive regularly sold brand new reels on eBay, I’ve never been charged VAT in my life?
I only sell when they offer me the £1 listing, last reel I sold was £240 and my final bill was, yes you guessed it a pound.
S.
I have which is why I mentioned it because I got stung on a couple of rods I sold for someone.

matt808

Ebay is terrible for selling sadly, it used to be ok. Royal mail postage fees ridiculous for anything over 2kg, I try to avoid selling on ebay except for small things like fly boxes, nippers, stuff like that

doobrysnatcher

Ebay is terrible for selling sadly, it used to be ok. Royal mail postage fees ridiculous for anything over 2kg, I try to avoid selling on ebay except for small things like fly boxes, nippers, stuff like that
im beginning to realise that as theres a lot of people selling flies for nearly next to nothing , still though ,nothing ventured nothing gained ,and as i owe them money now i may as well leave them there for the time being,and see how it goes ,i dont think it can get any worse lol

Gdog

Ive regularly sold brand new reels on eBay, I’ve never been charged VAT in my life?
I only sell when they offer me the £1 listing, last reel I sold was £240 and my final bill was, yes you guessed it a pound.
S.
[/QUOTE

I'd certainly try selling more stuff on Ebay if I had the optiom of a £1 listing or whatever it is in €. The last time I received a message from Ebay on that deal was December 2018, none since. I've sold unwanted tackle on the Irish selling platform Donedeal since then, no fees and if people are close enough to travel its cash in the hand otherwise its 3.4% to Paypal if the item has to be posted.

Too many chancers on Ebay buying and selling, I sent back a brand new Snowbee reel last year that was actually used and an ex Demo mint condition Hardy rod with dirt and scratches on it. You can't judge a seller by feedback anymore because a lot of sellers and buyers dont leave feedback.

There are too many sellers that disappear after receiving negative feedback 2 or 3 times and reappear a few weeks later as a brand new seller with the same stock, Ive noticed this with 2 sellers of Hardy tackle.

There's less for sale on Ebay than 10 years ago and I'm not surprised why.

sculpin_crusader

I think there are definitely less fly tying bargains out there, the price people are wanting for scraps of fur, feather and stuff, wouldn’t touch most of what’s out there, so much tat.

That said I did pick up a selection of random furs for £14 posted, it was the water rat skin that prompted my purchasing.

doobrysnatcher

I think there are definitely less fly tying bargains out there, the price people are wanting for scraps of fur, feather and stuff, wouldn’t touch most of what’s out there, so much tat.

That said I did pick up a selection of random furs for £14 posted, it was the water rat skin that prompted my purchasing.
so like yourself everyone likes a bargain but theres a difference between cheap and quality,take for instance a cotton and polyester tshirt both the same design only difference is material
cotton is light and cooling ,polyester is like wearing a sticky wet plastic bag in the summer,
back to the flies now heres a sooty olive bumble using cheap materials note the colour/shadesooty olive bumble g 2.jpg
heres another using the proper materials more expensive but containing the correct ingredients note the colour /shade againsooty olive bumble smg 12 g.jpg
so as you see both are very simmilar looking but the latter is how it was intended imo anywayusing correct materials

matt808

im beginning to realise that as theres a lot of people selling flies for nearly next to nothing , still though ,nothing ventured nothing gained ,and as i owe them money now i may as well leave them there for the time being,and see how it goes ,i dont think it can get any worse lol
Yeah small stuff like flies which can just go in an envelope are usually ok.