Own up...

Scotty Mitchell

Genuinely not. I have self imposed standards that I adhere to, possibly to the detriment of catching more fish, but I just don’t enjoy fishing such patterns.
I hasten to add i don’t get all high and mighty when others do, a good mate is all about bright, gaudy patterns and is always right in there with new materials, it’s just not what I enjoy 👍

ejw

Oh yes, the squirmy worm !! I had to admit to using one at the beginning of this season - on my local small river ? The river was running high and coloured, nothing else was working, so a weighted size 10 squirmy worm was tried - instant success - a 5" Bullhead lip hooked !!!! Must admit I deserved it. Not used again - Shame on me, but had confess on line to others in the Club, just to ease my conscience .

GEK79

There has to be a pattern somewhere in your fly box that you have to be ashamed of using, squirmy worm, mop fly or what? Go on, confess.
This season taught me that most of my patterns are wrong and u may invest in a streamer or 2 and possibly a squirmy wormy.. I did fish a cream Czech nymph which looked exactly like a maggot and had fish on it.. Then karma appeared and hooked a tree stump and had to cut the line..

tangled

I confess to having tied one of these for the 'appropriate circumstances' but not yet used it for a 'hatch'.

smallmouth

Given some of the tactics we used to catch big weights of carp and F1's when I match fished the commercials, I don't embarrass that easily............

However at the weekend I fished a local reservoir, the water wasn't it's usual crystal clarity, there was no breeze at all, it was cold and some kind of slime algae was making things difficult. There were quite a few rainbows just subsurface, but my usual emerger and buzzer tactics weren't working. I was told by a regular that the fish we could see were most likely fish stocked a couple of days earlier.

I enjoy this reservoir because it usually fishes well to dries & emergers, but needs must....... After switching tactics and trying a couple of lures without any interest, I put on a fly I tied for mullet, a #12 B175 with red beads for the head, a peacock body and a squirmy wormy tail. Figure of eighting and twitching it back. Within three casts I had a few nips and not long after a stockie rainbow.

First time I've tried a "squirmy wormy" in freshwater and I was intrigued, thinking how effective a smaller, more subtle one, might be. I was considering trying one down the local cut for perch, once I've sorted the pair of attack trained Malinois and 357 Magnum I'll need before risking it on my own...................

scobo

I have a separate box full of 'nasties' that I keep for desperate measures but thankfully haven't had to use it for years.
Some of the stuff in their wouldn't look out of place on the xmas tree. 😁
It stays hidden away out of sight at the bottom of my bag. 😳

wobbly face

I have a box of nasties, I've even tried to disguise boobys and what few boobys I do have are not well tied (my heart wasn't up to them). However, I do have a few dubious buzzer patterns, tried once and worked but ................!!!!!!!!!!!! Plenty of self flagellation.
As for squirmys, again have some but not used much, same with egg flies :whistle: and blobs.

codyarrow

Ah do you not just long for simpler times of your youth with innocent traditional patterns......like that rubber eddystone eel with a bit of marabou on we all used to chuck out in the early 80's.......yes you did!!! :giggle:
Blob has it's uses for wild browns, will try the squirmy next season and report back.

Wee Jimmy

I've started using grunters FFS, even my more subdued versions ( only six plumes..... :rolleyes: ) look like the most crude type of dry imaginable.I still cant help feeling surprised every time a fish actually takes it.

JoeOh

"I was considering trying one down the local cut for perch, once I've sorted the pair of attack trained Malinois and 357 Magnum I'll need before risking it on my own"
Sounds like the Lea Navigation, Tottenham/Hackney way.
Guilty of using a 2" Eddystone eel, with the small whisp of maribou tied in to 'legalise' it. Caught on it but nothing spectacular. Then I discovered Mink, no rubber since then..

thetrouttickler

Long before the days of triploids my conscience would twinge a bit when I used an egg fly in winter in stillwaters.

Eggs are a naturally occurring phenomenon and a natural food source, unlike, say, a corn kernel or bread ball, so perhaps it was an unnecessary thought.

Jason 70

I was going to leave the Pike alone tomorrow and try for a Gudgeon with a squirmy. But reading some of the replies I suddenly feel like I should hang my head in shame just to consider the bastard thing.

JoeOh

I remember now they were 'waggle tails'
Used very successfully in the larger sizes by Fred Wagstaffe at Rutland in the earlier days. I do not hear of anglers using them these days, and as for me, tube flies and minks for the deep work