Oxfordshire Newbi

gosling1960

Been fishing for over 30 years, now wishing to try fly fishing for trout. Live on the border of Oxfordshire and Wiltshire, any one any ideas were would be a good fishery to start?:)

BobP

You have Busheyleaze at Lechlade which is a decent clear water gravel pit fishery. Fish average about 3lbs or so. It should be coming back into form about now as the weather cools.

Barnes Lake at Standlake. Not fished it, but it is a catch & release fishery with some decent fish I believe.

The best is the Thames Water complex at Farmoor. Two concrete bowl fisheries. Generally clear water with phenomenal buzzer hatches. F2 is a catch & kill fishery with a range of ticket options. 8 fish limit is £28. Boats are available including a sporting option which means you can return fish.

F1 is the smaller water and is a Catch & release fishery with better than average fish. Not much, if anything, under 3lb and many more than double that. £25 for a day with 10% discount for Angling Trust members. This is my personal favourite fishery.

The Farmoors take a bit of getting used to as they look the same all the way round. Wherever you fish on either of them there will almost certainly be fish in front of you. I fish F1 fairly regularly so if you want an introduction just pm me.