Pacific Salmon in Scotlnd

kreid

a few were caught last year and they were filmed trying to spawn in the Ness ( I believe it was the Ness). Any this year?

bobmiddlepoint

Well for one thing not many people have been fishing so far this year and secondly the pinks won't turn up until June or July (if at all).

Check back in the summer!

Andy

Tangled

I've been watching this for a few years - since the invasion in 2017. I was in Russia then and there were huge quantities of them in the rivers there and they turned up here.

I expected them to turn up again in 2019 (they have 2 year life cycles) but they didn't, so I'm betting nothing for this year.

The wild card is another mass migration from the Baltic which - as the theory goes - migrations happen when populations have exploded and they need to find new breeding grounds.

3lbgrayling

They must be breeding somewhere though Jim, fish released in Russian experiment are all dead!
There is a strong breeding population in top west of Russia and Norway. they seeded them for about (poss more)20years. Pretty sure I caught 1 in the Allan.about 12 yrs ago.

Jim

bobmiddlepoint

The wild card is another mass migration from the Baltic which - as the theory goes - migrations happen when populations have exploded and they need to find new breeding grounds.

The other possibility is that they undergo mass migrations to find new feeding grounds. Of course this is at odds with the Pink lovers view that they achieve a weight of 4 or 5lb on a diet of seawater and fresh air... Thousands of them turning up would be bound to compete with something, the first thing that springs to mind is coastal feeding sea trout (they don't already have enough to deal with do they?) but there is no saying what unforeseen consequences there might be.

With luck 2021 will be another non event like 2019.

Andy

Tangled

The other possibility is that they undergo mass migrations to find new feeding grounds. Of course this is at odds with the Pink lovers view that they achieve a weight of 4 or 5lb on a diet of seawater and fresh air... Thousands of them turning up would be bound to compete with something, the first thing that springs to mind is coastal feeding sea trout (they don't already have enough to deal with do they?) but there is no saying what unforeseen consequences there might be.

With luck 2021 will be another non event like 2019.

Oh hello, who do you imagine it is that thinks pink salmon can grow without food? The science assumes that they compete with salmon, char and sea trout (and probably also all other carnivorous fish in the ocean).

If you're interested, this is the best factual summary of the 2017 migration I've found

bobmiddlepoint

Oh hello, who do you imagine it is that thinks pink salmon can grow without food? The science assumes that they compete with salmon, char and sea trout (and probably also all other carnivorous fish in the ocean).

If you're interested, this is the best factual summary of the 2017 migration I've found

I don't imagine anyone thinks it I know someone used to think it... you!

Take a look here at your werrbelings from 2017

Has the penny finally dropped now?

Andy

Tangled

I don't imagine anyone thinks it I know someone used to think it... you!

Take a look here at your werrbelings from 2017

Has the penny finally dropped now?

Ffs, the discussion there was about whether Pink young compete for food IN THE RIVERS after hatching. The current view is that because the pink young emigrate to sea very quickly after hatching, there is low competition.

Of course juvenile and adult pink salmon are not vegetarian. 🤬

bobmiddlepoint

Ffs, the discussion there was about whether Pink young compete for food IN THE RIVERS after hatching. The current view is that because the pink young emigrate to sea very quickly after hatching, there is low competition.

Of course juvenile and adult pink salmon are not vegetarian. 🤬

That's how it started and you said they didn't compete with anything at all because you had completely disregarded the marine phase of their life and the possible interaction with indigenous species (be they wrasse, stickleback or sea trout). It's all there for anyone to read, you doing your usual ill informed floundering.

Hey ho.

Andy

bennysbuddy

That's how it started and you said they didn't compete with anything at all because you had completely disregarded the marine phase of their life and the possible interaction with indigenous species (be they wrasse, stickleback or sea trout). It's all there for anyone to read, you doing your usual ill informed floundering.

Hey ho.

Andy
On the pacific coast of Washington they are discovering the problem with poor native salmon & steelhead runs is due to competition of various fish species for the available food in the ocean. The fish are spawning in decent numbers but the return of salmon in El Nino years is very poor due to ocean survival rates. To complicate this problem the tuna seem to be moving north with the warmer sea water.

Tangled

Yeh, right I must have thought that Pink Salmon have a magical ability to convert sunlight and sea water into protein. Should really have mentioned that, it must have been really confusing for you. ffs.

bobmiddlepoint

Yeh, right I must have thought that Pink Salmon have a magical ability to convert sunlight and sea water into protein. Should really have mentioned that, it must have been really confusing for you. ffs.

You quite plainly said they didn’t complete with anything.

Ffs right back at you!

Andy

Latest posts