Packham and his Platform

williegunn

I'm sure you can find some evidence on that subject via an internet search. I really don't have time to do it for you, it's too much like work for me and I come here to relax!
I’ve looked and there is nothing convincing one way or the other, just something else thrown at pheasants by those who want shooting banned.

Cap'n Fishy

It was in response to @RutOspreyImages · 2 apr. 2019, he is a fan of anglers who take photographs of wild animals and birds it seems.
I have posted all I can find, all positive toward angling, he talks about fishing when he was young and found catching a grayling exciting, and he made a film fishing in a jungle, etc.

So WTF is everyone worried about? :unsure:

Whinging pom

In Scotland since the pursuit of foxes by men on horses with hounds was banned and you could only flush them and shoot them the number of foxes killed rose. So the banning of fox hunting to save foxes wasn’t really a success. But of course it was never about saving foxes more a class thing.
Maybe for you it it was a class thing, I’m pretty sure the majority that wanted it banned was because it’s rather barbaric it doesn’t matter what class of people rode those horses. Its the whole getting dressed up and chasing an animal down to exhaustion ,when a shot is quicker and more efficient. Hare coursing was banned too..and round here that’s mostly Pikeys .

Got nothing to do with class, just hunting with hounds and killing for fun.

williegunn

Maybe for you it it was a class thing, I’m pretty sure the majority that wanted it banned was because it’s rather barbaric it doesn’t matter what class of people rode those horses. Its the whole getting dressed up and chasing an animal down to exhaustion ,when a shot is quicker and more efficient. Hare coursing was banned too..and round here that’s mostly Pikeys .

Got nothing to do with class, just hunting with hounds and killing for fun.
Do you think it’s more or less barbaric getting dressed up or not?

Vintage Badger

I’ve looked and there is nothing convincing one way or the other, just something else thrown at pheasants by those who want shooting banned.
Did you find this one? It's from a shooting forum too: https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/pheasants-v-snakes.165354/

There's also fairly easy to find video footage of pheasants attacking reptiles for those that want to look for it. So it's not in debate that pheasants can and do attack and predate native reptiles and amphibians, and anything else they can get the better of too.

For the record, I'm not against shooting; I enjoy roast pheasant or pheasant casserole with the best of them. However, as with most things, it's about sustainability. We can't go on acting like spoilt children demanding their own way in everything and screaming and kicking if they don't get it. We need to be responsible for our actions and ensure that we're not buggering things up beyond all repair; and I'm afraid that it really is getting to that stage.

If we take a more pro-active approach and our hobby is sustainable, then where is the argument against it? It's not bunny hugging, it's plain common sense.

williegunn

Did you find this one? It's from a shooting forum too: https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/pheasants-v-snakes.165354/

There's also fairly easy to find video footage of pheasants attacking reptiles for those that want to look for it. So it's not in debate that pheasants can and do attack and predate native reptiles and amphibians, and anything else they can get the better of too.

For the record, I'm not against shooting; I enjoy roast pheasant or pheasant casserole with the best of them. However, as with most things, it's about sustainability. We can't go on acting like spoilt children demanding their own way in everything and screaming and kicking if they don't get it. We need to be responsible for our actions and ensure that we're not buggering things up beyond all repair; and I'm afraid that it really is getting to that stage.

If we take a more pro-active approach and our hobby is sustainable, then where is the argument against it? It's not bunny hugging, it's plain common sense.
Hardly evidence now is it? It’s a cutting from a local paper, the author of the post goes on to suggest that buzzards might be having a greater impact.

I have never said pheasants don’t eat reptiles I just asked for evidence that they ARE having an effect on reptile numbers.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Those that shoot think Packham is attacking them, he's branded as the enemy of field sports, and no one has actually stopped to look at what he has actually said.
Lots of people have, and some, particularly those that do manage the countryside, have summarised it.
This excerpt is after the government revoked the general licence, and then had to do an immediate u turn to reinstate it.

Vintage Badger

Hardly evidence now is it? It’s a cutting from a local paper, the author of the post goes on to suggest that buzzards might be having a greater impact.

I have never said pheasants don’t eat reptiles I just asked for evidence that they ARE having an effect on reptile numbers.
The anecdotal evidence from quite a high percentage of people who posted in that thread appears to suggest they are.

If you know anything about pheasants (which I strongly suspect you do), then I'm sure, in all honesty, you wouldn't put a year's salary (or pension income) on them not having an adverse impact, would you? Particularly in the case of large scale releases within good reptile habitat.

Last edited:

Vintage Badger

There is much more evidence that loss reptile numbers is more down to habitat loss or fragmentation.
Yes, and what's causing that habitat loss and fragmentation? Could part of it be down to the introduction of hundreds of thousands of predators each year? Unfortunately, the answer has to be, yes it could.

As you'll know with salmon, when they were abundant it didn't matter if a few FEBs took some of the parr. Now they're more scarce, such predation can become far more critical. It's the old 'death by 1000 cuts' story.

Wouldn't it be better if there was a 'OK, that sounds concerning, what can we do to work together to sort the problem out?' attitude instead of a 'prove it', 'talk to the hand', 'I refuse to believe it' or 'it's my land and I'll not be told what to do on it' attitude?

Wilful denial is just the right way to go if you want legal restrictions and bans. And mark my words, they are likely to come if things carry on as they are, particularly if there's a change of government.

ohanzee

The damning evidence..........

''TV wildlife presenter Chris Packham says he is not against shooting birds. On stage with fellow members of birds rights pressure group Wild Justice, the presenter of BBC programmes including Autumnwatch and Springwatch told an audience of hundreds at the Bird Fair at Rutland Water, Leicestershire, this weekend, that: “We have never been anti shooting.”

On Good Morning Britain in April, Packham told presenter Piers Morgan that he wants to stop: the “killing of millions of birds across the UK, which are not killed because they are damaging crops. They’re killed because people just want to go out and kill things for pleasure.”