Panorama Sewage dumping

vital

Signed too. Watched Panorama after seeing this thread. Still don't understand how wet wipes, pant liners, tampons, condoms ,et al, are being discharged without any screening?, even in the sixties all sewage went through screens, so are these discharges flows which have been diverted away from treatment works before passing through any screens? Not just illegal, but reckless abuse! Cholera epidemic next, anyone?

ohanzee

Signed too. Watched Panorama after seeing this thread. Still don't understand how wet wipes, pant liners, tampons, condoms ,et al, are being discharged without any screening?, even in the sixties all sewage went through screens, so are these discharges flows which have been diverted away from treatment works before passing through any screens? Not just illegal, but reckless abuse! Cholera epidemic next, anyone?

Not seen the Panorama documentary but there was a thing on tv about wet wipes, they showed a bulldozer moving tons of them that they had manually scraped off the filters, these then need to be contained and disposed of, this was a day's worth, they do it all again the next day, the UK's sewerage system is not built to cope with wet wipes, it costs a fortune.

Why is it legal to sell them when it is clear people can't stop flushing them down the toilet?

JayP

Surely its get companies to change to flushable wet wipes?
They already exist, so why cant they all produce them?
I already go out of my way to buy them, everyone should.

Or install a bidet, I don't remember see panic buying of toilet paper and wet wipes across the channel last year

morayfisher

Trust Member
As I’ve said before, Incinerator toilets are the way to go.
No connection to the sewerage system, use no water and produce only small amounts of sterile ash.

bobmiddlepoint

That is exactly the issue, raw sewage is being discharged direct into rivers. It is supposed to only happen during floods when the sewerage system system can't cope with high rainfall (what the rainfall doing in the sewer is another question but we are where we are). According to some the dilution during a flood makes it all ok because nobody minds a dilute turd in their river...
There is also the issue that this isn't just happening during floods, raw sewage is going into the rivers at normal levels.

Andy

kirk

The bottom line is that the government is much more interested in protecting the profits of the water companies than it is in protecting our rivers. I wouldn't trust Rebecca Pow ,Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, who was interviewed as far as I could throw her- full of platitudes and insincerity and I suspect her main concern was that the level of illegal discharges had been highlighted. The whole system needs updating so we are not relying on Victorian sewer systems and inadequate sewage treatment systems that can't cope with 21st century waste.

There was another programme about sewage treatment on TV recently called the Secret Science of Sewage on BBC2 which featured a state of the art sewage treatment works called Minworth in the Severn/Trent area near Birmingham. When we have updated our systems accross the country maybe we will get past the point where there are such things as legal discharges of raw sewage into our rivers.

morayfisher

Trust Member
We can’t seem to see beyond flushing drinking water down the toilet in this country.
At least some of this is abstracted from rivers which we have just polluted with raw sewage. We then filter and treat it back to drinking quality before flushing it back down the toilet with our waste to overspill the treatment plant again. So if no new houses are built and we have no population growth, we still need massive investment in water treatment to stop the existing pollution. But with ever more new homes and more people what we actually need is a vast amount of money put into creating a lot of overcapacity to cope with ever increasing amounts of sh1t. And that’s another thing we don’t do well, investing for future generations because we are more interested in making money for today’s investors.

Or

Put legislation in place for Incinerator toilets to be fitted in all new builds and require their installation in refurbishments.
The technology is already there. They use zero water. There is no connection to a sewer. You could build a thousand houses, put three thousand people in them with no sewerage reaching the treatment plant because they are not even connected. The only waste is small amounts of sterile ash which can go on the garden or in the bin.
With high volume production, the unit cost of these toilets would fall and they could be further subsidised by the water companies as demands on their plants would actually reduce as these things replace our current toilets. Less waste to deal with and less water going down the pan. No need to spend vast sums to future proof the system as the problem simply wouldn’t be there.

Discuss.

Latest posts