Partridge Sea Trout Hooks Help??

patk

Hi I have tied lots of flies over the years on " Partridge Saltwater Special Aberdeen Perfect " hooks. In sizes 6/8/10.I had bought a lot of them 10/15 years ago and am close to the end with that lot. Ive been trying to find them on line etc and cant find them at all?? Anyone any ideas as to why or if they are not being made anymore what would be a similar hook?? Thanks pat

patk

RPS

The people at Partirdge have some strange ideas on hook design. They dropped a number of good hooks, probably because they aren't commercial ...... because anglers don't know how to use their hooks ...... because Partirdge didn't educate them........because Partirdge was poorly managed long before even Mustad. Look around at Japanese/Far-East (non-chinese) suppliers for various suppliers of quality hooks.

Rhithrogena

Maybe post a decent close-up pic of what the hooks are like, and folk can suggest alternatives?

bobmiddlepoint

The people at Partirdge have some strange ideas on hook design. They dropped a number of good hooks, probably because they aren't commercial ...... because anglers don't know how to use their hooks ...... because Partirdge didn't educate them........because Partirdge was poorly managed long before even Mustad. Look around at Japanese/Far-East (non-chinese) suppliers for various suppliers of quality hooks.

I'm going to ask (because I suspect you are dying to tell us) how should we use a Partridge hook?

Welcome back by the way...

Andy

bobmiddlepoint

Hi I have tied lots of flies over the years on " Partridge Saltwater Special Aberdeen Perfect " hooks. In sizes 6/8/10.I had bought a lot of them 10/15 years ago and am close to the end with that lot. Ive been trying to find them on line etc and cant find them at all?? Anyone any ideas as to why or if they are not being made anymore what would be a similar hook?? Thanks pat

Are these Ahrex anything like what you are after?

Andy

diawl bach

I remembered John Gray tied some of his seatrout singles on saltwater hooks, checked his site (still going) and ..... he uses PSSAP hooks

sea-trout-fly-simple.jpg

patk

When I looked they were fly hooks, apart from the last 2 of the 9 patterns shown 🤔
Listen the hooks re no longer available. the description will find the hook in history/google etc if you want to have a look. im not great at links/posting pics. i first came across the hook when it was in an article/site where because of its colour shape etc you could tie the hackle and wing eyes or any combination of on the head. They worked brilliantly for me for close on 20 years i reckon.

bobmiddlepoint

How about Kamasan B830. They are available in sizes 2 to 16.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of these when I suggested the Ahrex hooks...

When I was doing a lot of night fishing for sea trout in the West Country all I used were long shank Kamasan lure hooks. My go to fly was an Alexandra on a long shank 4 and that held sea trout up to 8lb no bother.

Andy

diawl bach

AliExpress are good for all kinds of hooks, I've noticed an expanding range over the last couple of years and although I haven't bought hooks from suppliers in that market I found the Maxcatch hooks as good as any in the shops over here.

I like silver hooks for sewin too but the silver Partridge range I used to buy have long gone, I think the Chinese option is a possible alternative.

Here's an example which looks okay after searching for "silver fishing hook", mixed boxes but cheap enough to take a chance on - gawd knows what the sizes are. I've bought a fair amount of fly tying gear from AE and although I had a few duff feathers in a pack of bronze mallard once the quality is generally on par with UK suppliers.

Hfd898dd48ebf4136b4ee9c8697ab71c7k.jpg

This supplier sells specific sizes which appear to belong to a standard of their own creation but at least they give true length of the shank. 20 delivered for less than two quid, has to be worth a gamble -

HTB1xG00eRCw3KVjSZR0q6zcUpXaH.jpg

Searching for Aberdeen hooks turns up silvered hooks, white nickel as they call them and away you go again. Looking through AliExpress is a very easy way to enter a rabbit hole in time, what a bewildering array of choices. Just to stuff you they always offer an alternative as you commit to buy, bang goes another ten minutes.

Last edited: