PayPal GIFT - DO NOT ask for - or use!

Fish & Fly Team

PayPal Gift is for gifts. If you pay using PayPal Gift you lose your consumer rights of refunds / returns etc.

We really do urge you not to pay this way and nor should the trader ask you to pay this way. By doing so they are cheating PayPal - so does that mean they will cheat you?

Let the buyer beware.

Update.

We ask members now not to advertise paypal gift in sales.If we see it we will delete the post/thread.This is in the interest of all members and to protect them and their money.

Last edited by a moderator:

cwmitch2

Cheating PayPal, some would argue they cheat everyone.. I sell something on eBay for example.. and pay a fee to ebay then I have to pay a fee to PayPal to get my money..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benisa

When buying on ebay i pay with my credit card this way I am covered both ways ( also get few extre days credit):eek:mg:
lot sellers on here always like to be paid by paypal as a gift no one wants to buy the fees
but then if you get a lot of S .... you are not covered
risk you take

sawyer

Having bought a few things from the classified on here, I have quite often paid via PP gift, but then again I always check the "provenance" of a seller beforehand. If it is a username I am not familiar with then I am more cautious & might ask a few questions. The amounts I have spent are not huge, perhaps a better maxim is do not pay by gift if the loss of the money will hurt you! If I was buying an expensive item (over £200) I would always collect & pay cash anyway, then I can check that all is in order. I travel a lot throughout the UK so can usually arrange my schedule around a "fishing" problem.

pentlandflyman

So is this a new classified rule ?

If you are going that far then why not make it compulsory to use an insured tracked delivery service because that covers the seller in cases when they claim non receipt or damage and get refunded by PayPal...it is not always the seller that is a crook.

123jc

At the end of the day you can always pay the fees, I've a rod for sale at the moment and I asked for gift or buyer pays fees which would be an extra £4.43, it just gives the people I've dealt with on the forum who trust me a chance to save a couple of pound, I've also accepted and have paid for goods by bank transfer but then there's no protection there either.

Craig

hydropsyched

Might as well ask for a bank transfer then. That way my heart won't be bleeding for PayPal :whistle:

To be honest Ebay are the crooks rather than PayPal, I have little time for them to be honest. I've processed a lot of internet retail business through Paypal because it's so easy for people buying stuff rather than a 16 digit card number/expiry date/security number/Verified by Visa etc etc.

I have always found PayPal themselves to be very good to deal with if you phone them up............. yeah they side with the buyer mostly but I have a policy that if you go straight to PayPal without contacting us and giving me a chance to make things right I will refund you instantly but you are barred (because you are almost certainly trying to get stuff for free), and that's happened maybe 4 times in 4 years.

Last edited:

Mrtrout

How can you be cheating PayPal when they offer a friends or family payment service?
Just use your loaf, trust is the word, if you're unsure don't use it.
S.

T_James

Without trying to undermine the administrator I must say that it is a testament to the membership that trust is at the base of all transactions.

I have bought and sold several items (spending three figure sums in a couple of instances) and have never encountered a problem.

That's not to say that there aren't a few 'wronguns' operating here - in an ideal world I would prefer to undertake all transactions protected.

blithfield2

How can you be cheating PayPal when they offer a friends or family payment service?
Just use your loaf, trust is the word, if you're unsure don't use it.
S.

You are absolutely correct here but the problem comes when the item gets lost in the postal system.
I made the great mistake of sending cash through RM signed for - it was recorded as never leaving the Post Office Branch! No recompense for me and lesson learned, I always go through Paypal and pay the fees regardless whether the seller is the most trusted person in the Universe.

cwmitch2

If I wasn't worried about being banded again for daring to challenge or question Admins ideas or motives. I'd have said more, Alas I'll have to keep it to myself.

But I am reading peoples views with interest.. As many of you know I have bought and sold a lot of high value items using PayPal gift as payment. some running into several hundreds. And like others have used common sense and something called trust. It would appear no more!!

Colin.

lepirate

Paypal are a business, just like the fish and chip shop down the road or your local electrician, they are there to make a profit. Tis simple. They do, however, offer a free service for anyone signed up that may need to send some cash to a friend or family member, dead handy if my daughter needs some help in an emergency.. Anyone that pretends that they are sending money to a friend or family member when they are actually making a purchase is lying... Not a difficult concept to get ones head around I wouldn't have thought...
:)

blithfield2

As many of you know I have bought and sold a lot of high value items using PayPal gift as payment. some running into several hundreds. And like others have used common sense and something called trust. It would appear no more!!

Colin.

Trouble is Colin, if the merchandise gets lost in the Postal system and the purchase was through Paypal gift, who stands the loss?

JeffR

If the seller doesn't want to pay the Paypal fees, that's absolutely fine, but why not just up the price a bit to cover it (like some folk do to include postage) and then use the Paypal protection as its intended? Direct bank transfer is free of course, as is cash on collection where possible.

pentlandflyman

I think this is to do with them getting dragged into it when things go wrong and i can see their point if it is....still think common sense is the way to go but if you sell something and don't use PayPal gift please send the item RMSD or similar as it stops any claims of non receipt or damage claims, the seller needs protected as much as the buyer and especially with paypal because they seem to always side with the buyer.

I personally always send that way and touch wood I have never been stung or had any issues with buyers.

G

green stick

Am I not correct in thinking that we are talking about 3.5% here? . A tiny amount surely a £200 payment costs £7 . For that sort of amount surely the added safety net offered by not paying as a gift is not a bad deal? . Agree its a trust thing but a seller falling ill as has happened on here over the years or item going missing is always a possibility

Andy

cwmitch2

Am I not correct in thinking that we are talking about 3.5% here? . A tiny amount surely a £200 payment costs £7 . For that sort of amount surely the added safety net offered by not paying as a gift is not a bad deal? . Agree its a trust thing but a seller falling ill as has happened on here over the years or item going missing is always a possibility

Andy

Very true Andy.. I think what's got most people commenting is why Admin has decided to bring this new rule in.. ? Over to you bosses , not that I'm daring to disagree in any way " don't want a 30 day suspension"

Colin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts