PayPal GIFT - DO NOT ask for - or use!

G

guest37226

Lets stop beating about the bush. Admin stop immediately any paypal gift adverts all sellers factor in the costs of receiving normal paypal in the selling price. The buyer will either like the price or not.

Life is them much simpler and SAFE :thumbs:

If you do a backroom deal with paypal gift with a seller don't involve admin its your fault if it goes wrong. Its a private off line deal

JeffR

Maybe its something for the buyers on here to address? If you buy something off ebay or online you wouldn't offer/agree to send the payment as a gift would you? Just because a seller might ask for that doesn't mean you have to agree. You could just offer to pay tincy bit more if you feel inclined, but send the agreed payment as a proper payment for goods. Admin could just post that as an "Advice to Buyers" point if they don't want to go so far as banning some sales ads requesting paypal as gift.

Jeltz

If I sell something on here, I don't care what method a buyer uses to pay me. Bank transfer, cheque, paypal, makes no difference to me. I use SD post to ensure any items I sell gets to the buyer. If an item gets lost, then RM foot the bill, it's as simple as that.

I have always used paypal gift when buying on here, the way I see it is, if you can't trust the people on here, who can you trust?

PS: in case some of you do not know it, ebay owns paypal. It is the main reason why they put the brakes on bank transfers as a payment option.

pentlandflyman

If I sell something on here, I don't care what method a buyer uses to pay me. Bank transfer, cheque, paypal, makes no difference to me. I use SD post to ensure any items I sell gets to the buyer. If an item gets lost, then RM foot the bill, it's as simple as that.

I have always used paypal gift when buying on here, the way I see it is, if you can't trust the people on here, who can you trust?

PS: in case some of you do not know it, ebay owns paypal. It is the main reason why they put the brakes on bank transfers as a payment option.

I am sure ebay and paypal have separated.

Mrtrout

RMSD is the best way to post, but, if you make a claim for lost items make absolutely clear you have the original receipt for said items or you'll get £46 max.
Selling a £300 second hand rod, that you stated was worth £300 when you posted it means nothing unless you have the receipt.
Been there done it, ask at the PO counter first, the last one I asked hadn't a clue. :eek:mg:
S.

G

guest37226

S

Selling a £300 second hand rod, that you stated was worth £300 when you posted it means nothing unless you have the receipt.

That is an interesting and very good point. If you bought a winston B3x secondhand for say £350 on here and then sold it again on here for say £300 no receipts anywhere.

Will have to check that out with RM no good sending RMSD if no full compensation

I know if you sell via ebay and claim they ask for an ebay ID number to check sale

G

guest37226

Just had a look at the RM website . It states this for special delivery

7.Evidence of the actual loss must be provided to enable Royal Mail to determine the value of the contents of a packet. Such evidence might be original receipts, bank or credit card statements, details of age, paypal record, invoices, manufacturing costs, auctioneers valuation, and repair costs in the case of damage claims. This list is not exhaustive and is for illustrative purposes only.
8.All documentation provided must be originals not copies. Customers are strongly advised to retain a copy of all original documents submitted in support of a claim.

The paypal record could prove useful but it appears it is not just the original receipt.

blithfield2

That's why anything I buy or sell only gets posted RMSD.. That way no problems:thumbs:
Colin.

If it was this straightforward there would not be a problem.......sadly it is not.

RMSD is the best way to post, but, if you make a claim for lost items make absolutely clear you have the original receipt for said items or you'll get £46 max.
Been there done it, ask at the PO counter first, the last one I asked hadn't a clue. :eek:mg:
S.

So back to my original question, if an item is lost, which party stands the loss?

G

guest37226

If i was sending a rod RMSD and it was lost then i would refund the money to the buyer and start a discussion /argument / claim with RM.

I feel it is not the buyers problem to sort it out its mine.

just my opinion though

Rob Edmunds

Paypal and Ebay are now separate legal entities but still are linked and have a "business relationship"

Paypal have probably issued a generic email to all Forums asking them to make members aware of the "Gift Rules" it will increase their revenue by 0.001% or something !.... The forum has got to be seem to be acting correctly hence the reason for the original message - don't get upset everyone can work around it and in reality nothing will change.

If you use "Paypal Gift" it is not illegal, nor will they stop you using their service - the problem is that as a consumer it's very difficult to actually enforce your consumer rights should there be a problem.

If you accepted "Paypal Gifts" as a business then you would be going against PayPal's T & C's, however no action would be taken unless the majority of business was conducted this way.

However as a consumer you do still have civil rights even against "Private Sellers" and when using Paypal Gift as a contract has been formed....your rights are enforceable.

Theoretically if you purchase something that is not as described or faulty you could pursue the person via a "Civil Claim" in the small claims court (although this would be like using a sledgehammer to crack an egg) and not really appropriate unless the value was over £100.

Look - on the rare occasions that I dispose of something on the forum I will post it to you without payment, you will receive it and ensure you are happy and then send me the money the easiest and safest way for you - if that happens to be via PayPal Gift or Bank Transfer so what....that is not the same as asking for payment for an item and so not covered by the T & C's :thumbs:

I've always found Forum Members to be very honest (and fly-fisherfolk in general) and have never had a problem...

This is just another way of trying to generate revenue and not really in the spirit of the PayPal advertisements seen on TV is it....

Jeltz

S.

Even an original receipt won't help you much if it is an old receipt. In that case RM will only pay the secondhand value.

But there is a way out. As long as you can prove how much you sold your item for, (this is where a copy of emails and paypal or bank transfer payment comes in handy) that is the value you will get in compensation.

andrewparkeruk

If i was sending a rod RMSD and it was lost then i would refund the money to the buyer and start a discussion /argument / claim with RM.

I feel it is not the buyers problem to sort it out its mine.

just my opinion though

It isn't your opinion @alexj; it is the only option available.

The seller has purchased the postal service; it is the seller who has a contract with the postal provider.

Andrew

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:57 PM ----------

S.

You must be a pushover Steven. The fact that an item has just sold for £300 means that its value is £300, by the very fact it has been sold for that price.

Andrew

JeffR

Even an original receipt won't help you much if it is an old receipt. In that case RM will only pay the secondhand value.

But there is a way out. As long as you can prove how much you sold your item for, (this is where a copy of emails and paypal or bank transfer payment comes in handy) that is the value you will get in compensation.

Interesting as the postal side of things is, how relevant is it in relation to whether someone has paid by Paypal as a gift or as goods/services? The reason (I assume) a seller asks for Paypal as a gift is so that they buyer pays any transaction costs, not them. Doesn't that mean that Paypal get a fee anyway, its just from the buyer rather than the seller? I have paid for things by paypal gift when asked but I must admit I don't feel comfortable about it, because it is clearly not a gift, I am paying somebody for something. I would rather just add a bit extra for the transaction cost to the price and pay "properly" - or use a non-fee payment method like on-line bank transfer.

Apologies of I am over simplifying things but what is wrong with a seller simply stating "buyer to pay money transfer cost, if applicable" if they wish. Or not if they're not that bothered. Its peanuts most times surely, hardly a deal breaker? That isn't dictating how that is done, its just making it clear that if the buyer wants to use a money transfer system which involves a cost, they pay it.

Jeltz

Apologies of I am over simplifying things but what is wrong with a seller simply stating "buyer to pay money transfer cost, if applicable" if they wish. Or not if they're not that bothered. Its peanuts most times surely, hardly a deal breaker? That isn't dictating how that is done, its just making it clear that if the buyer wants to use a money transfer system which involves a cost, they pay it.

I think you are over complicating things if anything. It does not matter how you pay, you will have the same rights if something does go wrong. At the very least you can show that a written agreement / contract existed in the form of emails, the for sale ad, paypal gift payment etc.

What cover would you have if you paid by cheque, postal order or bank transfer, exactly the same as paypal gift.

Mrtrout

It isn't your opinion @alexj; it is the only option available.

The seller has purchased the postal service; it is the seller who has a contract with the postal provider.

Andrew

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:57 PM ----------

You must be a pushover Steven. The fact that an item has just sold for £300 means that its value is £300, by the very fact it has been sold for that price.

Andrew

If you don't have a receipt Andrew they won't entertain a claim, I doubt a photo copy of a PM from here would convince them of its value. :eek:mg:
S.

Rob Edmunds

I think you are right, a printout of messages would not satisfy royal mail in the case of an insurance claim, they initially would refuse it and turn you down flat.

However I strongly believe if you gave them examples of all messages detailing the sale, the advertisment and evidence of the transaction to the person in question then they would have to settle in your favour.

It may take a few letters of complaint, and the threat of small claims court action before you achieved anything....but I'm convinced you would win.

Failing that take them to court over their failure to pay the cost of the item ( esepically if you paid them for insurance)......remember the burden of proof in a civil court is "on the balance of probability " so 51%.

Just because a company tells you that you are ineligible to claim it doesn't mean you should give up etc.....

G

guest37226

Rob

excellent comments my friend took Tesco to court regarding damage to his car caused by its trolleys. They have a disclaimer stating no claims will be allowed for damage while on their car park.
The judge found in my friends favour chq for £1100 thank you

Yes a win :thumbs:Many judges it all about what the person in the street thinks is right

G

guest54

Rob

excellent comments my friend took Tesco to court regarding damage to his car caused by its trolleys. They have a disclaimer stating no claims will be allowed for damage while on their car park.
The judge found in my friends favour chq for £1100 thank you

Yes a win :thumbs:Many judges it all about what the person in the street thinks is right

Had exactly the same with ASDA, got an out of court settlement, their trolley, their property, their responsibility.:thumbs:
That was when you had to put a pound in to get the trolley, in effect you are hiring the trolley from them, just as you would a car.

Latest posts