PayPal GIFT - DO NOT ask for - or use!

ohanzee

I think paypal would rather people chose gift than an alternative form of payment to paypal, but I don't think expecting paypal to anything thereafter is wise, if the thing doesn't turn up you would be relying on the integrity of the sender to deal with it, you have after all gifted them cash.

I was stung on here some years ago, a Welsh forum member had the nerve to haggled me down on a reel to 7 quid, I later discovered he had reversed the payment and vanished off the forum, if he had asked I'd have just given him the damn thing:D

Jeltz

I have never understood why people worry about things that might happen. A transaction could go wrong, then again it might not go wrong. An asteroid could wipe us all out so worry about that instead. :D

ohanzee

I have never understood why people worry about things that might happen. A transaction could go wrong, then again it might not go wrong. An asteroid could wipe us all out so worry about that instead. :D

My car is in the garage for a new clutch, they phoned earlier to tell me if I needed to add a dual mass flywheel to the bill, I did, and the bill....felt like an asteroid hit me:eek:mg:

ohanzee

Do you get the feeling they are taking you for a ride.

Nah its just when it comes to cars, builders, planning permission, anything really, its always bad news, in the broad scope of things the members that sell things here are one of the few honest and reliable things left.

Jeltz

Nah its just when it comes to cars, builders, planning permission, anything really, its always bad news, in the broad scope of things the members that sell things here are one of the few honest and reliable things left.

Couldn't agree more, now all we have to do is get the scaremongers on side.

pentlandflyman

Couldn't agree more, now all we have to do is get the scaremongers on side.

I think i can count on half a hand how many transactions have gone wrong on here since i joined and i think only one (recent one with sage rod) was with a long standing member, i am not sure what went on there or if it is resolved yet.

So the forum is a very safe place to buy and sell as long as you follow a few basic rules but listening to a few on here you would think the place was over run with thieves and con men.

As usual though a couple of rogues have spoilt it for everyone else and it has now turned into rule infested pit of suspicion which is a shame because it was not that long ago a very busy place with loads of bargains and good deals where friendships formed and everyone was happy, it has lost nearly all it's trade members and sales are way way down between members.

Well done on ruining it ;-)

blithfield2

It appears to me that the subject of the thread has been twisted into a 'trusting or not trusting fellow forumites' discussion.

Having been caught out by the trustworthiness of the Post Office, I avoid any danger of having to go back to a seller or buyer off here and discuss whether an item has arrived or not and who will have to stand the loss. Believe me, do not have absolute belief that the PO will recompense!

As far as I am concerned every transaction I have undertaken with forumites on here has been with absolute Gentlefolk - but I believe in looking after number one!

ohanzee

That is exactly what people will think when they see a warning pinned to the top of the classifieds board, who can you trust on here.

When you consider that new members are possibly the ones that are looking to buy in classifieds and are the ones that don't know who they are buying from the the feeling behind the wording becomes important, it does devalue something pretty special that has taken years to become the trustworthy thing it is.

I recently bought a reel spool from Mr Trout, a very elusive and expensive Sage 4550 to fit an empty reel cage I have, been looking for a few months so I'm over a barrel, Stevens eye on bits of tackle is probably the only way I'd find this thing, grateful there, his eye on who is desperate to get one, grateful there, he sent it at cost and paid the postage, I'm starting to feel guilty now:D and he had it posted before I paid, this is just the last thing i bought and fairly random example.
New members can tap into this and it is an asset to the forum, those that use classifieds have a vested interest in no one cheating the system.

Webster

Paypal are a business, just like the fish and chip shop down the road or your local electrician, they are there to make a profit. Tis simple. They do, however, offer a free service for anyone signed up that may need to send some cash to a friend or family member, dead handy if my daughter needs some help in an emergency.. Anyone that pretends that they are sending money to a friend or family member when they are actually making a purchase is lying... Not a difficult concept to get ones head around I wouldn't have thought...

Well said!

Do you really think you are getting a good deal from someone who is too tight to pay the Paypal fees? – and cheating both Paypal and you of your rights? Avoid these people.

ohanzee

Well said!

Do you really think you are getting a good deal from someone who is too tight to pay the Paypal fees? – and cheating both Paypal and you of your rights? Avoid these people.

Then it gets added to the buying price.

blithfield2

When you consider that new members are possibly the ones that are looking to buy in classifieds and are the ones that don't know who they are buying from the the feeling behind the wording becomes important, it does devalue something pretty special that has taken years to become the trustworthy thing it is.

I recently bought a reel spool from Mr Trout, a very elusive and expensive Sage 4550 to fit an empty reel cage I have, been looking for a few months so I'm over a barrel, Stevens eye on bits of tackle is probably the only way I'd find this thing, grateful there, his eye on who is desperate to get one, grateful there, he sent it at cost and paid the postage, I'm starting to feel guilty now:D and he had it posted before I paid, this is just the last thing i bought and fairly random example.
New members can tap into this and it is an asset to the forum, those that use classifieds have a vested interest in no one cheating the system.

Absolute nonsense, it is about what happens should a purchased item NOT arrive. It doesn't matter whether the seller is Saint Nicholas or the latest joiner on FFF, previous justly earned reputations will not be of much help finding something the Post Office has lost.............so what happens then?

ohanzee

Absolute nonsense, it is about what happens should a purchased item NOT arrive. It doesn't matter whether the seller is Saint Nicholas or the latest joiner on FFF, previous justly earned reputations will not be of much help finding something the Post Office has lost.............so what happens then?

The sender enters a dispute with the Post Office, I have never in my life not had something arrive but it is legally the senders responsibility, the tracking code determines that the thing was actually posted and is then the responsibility of the PO.

If you want to buy something from me and would prefer to pay the transaction costs that is absolutely fine, its your option.

Last edited:
Legally the item is the sellers responsibility until they can prove the item has been received by the purchaser.

On the whole people are great to be honest, and in my experience the Royal Mail are actually much better than their reputation would suggest up to the limits of 'Small Parcel' - saying 'it's the Royal Mail's fault' is a top excuse for not actually having posted something by the way ;) . Get beyond that and you are with Parcelforce and they are utterly rubbish and very expensive. I will never send anything via Parcelforce, it's just not worth the grief!

Last edited:

Rob Edmunds

I've just shipped a few things in from the USA, arrived in Rutland 7 days after placing the order, have to commend USPS as it was actually in the UK in 2 days according to the tracking ( and that was over a weekend)

A day in Customs and then 4 days for Parcel force to complete the delivery on behalf of USPS.

We'll done parcel force 4 days after exiting customs is quite good for you :eek:

ohanzee

At the end of the day does it not boil down to leaving the choice with the buyer? i.e. if they feel they need the reassurance that the sender will send and the Post Office won't lose it they can pay paypal transaction fees.

If paypal 'gift' is simply banned it suggests that members cannot be trusted on the one hand and on the other those untrustworthy members will continue in a very trustworthy way to swop and sell between themselves by email..leaving paypal, classifieds and buyers out of the equation.

G

guest54

I like and use paypal a lot, I only use gift for family and charity, I would never use gift for any purchase whatsoever unless I knew the seller personally and trusted them implicitly.

Mrtrout

I like and use paypal a lot, I only use gift for family and charity, I would never use gift for any purchase whatsoever unless I knew the seller personally and trusted them implicitly.

Exactly, trust, if in doubt don't, simple.
S.

Latest posts