Peacock Fly Fishing Club- Wye, Derwent, Bradford and Lathkill

chase

Hi All ,
Thanks for your feedback/opinions , I was curious that's all there is nothing malicious in my post .
So potentially its the tails that can make a difference to something without a hackle to support it ?

dave h

Hi All ,
Thanks for your feedback/opinions , I was curious that's all there is nothing malicious in my post .
So potentially its the tails that can make a difference to something without a hackle to support it ?
The tail keeps the back end up. As Richard said, without a tail it would be a shuttlecock and would sit vertically in the water. A shuttlecock wouldn't be a "dry" (and wouldn't be allowed on the Wye)

janhobot

Lines have to be drawn somewhere. We're not going to go through every fly possible are we?

chase

Ooops ,
It was not my intention to question any one or their flies .
I'm recovering from an operation so very little mobility at the mo .
So I am spending a lot of time reading on this Forum , my mind went off on a tangent hence the question .
But those flies look good Dave .:thumbs:
And apologies for the thread hi jack

Last edited:

delray

Fished the Wye yesterday, (Lathkill for an hour later) and had around 34. Horse fly bites that is. Hardly anything rising, a steady trickle of mayfly plus other upwings and I struggled for just a few rainbows, largest only 1/2 lb or so, in stark contrast to 2 weeks ago which was a boot filling day of excellent quality brownies.
The Wye is slightly coloured at the mo, plenty of water and the Lathkill just looks plain beautiful; crystal clear as ever, plenty of water, loads of fish and I could only winkle 1 out of there.
Great day as usual but I worked very hard for small reward.
Del

sean freeman

Hi guys, been fishing the peacock for years on a day ticket and I'm thinking of taking the plunge and applying to be a member next season!! I was just wondering how it works in regards to allocated fishing times? Do you still have to book or will I be able to nip down for an hour or two after work? Also is there a waiting list in operation? Cheers for any help provided, I'm quite excited at the prospect of becoming a member :D cheers

delray

Can't answer Glueman's question; not been up for a while, but have a look at dryflyexpert's website; may be some info there.

Sean, re the club, I don't think there'll be a waiting list as it probably turns a few over as there are a few (me!) long distance members. The 'booking' system for the members is just to let Jan (river keeper) know when you're coming so he can keep an eye on rods on the river. The Derwent and Wye have never been 'full' when I've driven up. Occasionally, I've not got onto my first choice on the Lathkill, but never not got on.

Join! As you know, the Wye is a beautiful stream, the Derwent is a very underrated dry fly river and there are some very big wild fish in there. The Lathkill is just beautiful, and I've never fished the Bradford. Nipping down after work would be perfect and don't rush; some evenings from late June through to mid or late August you'll have more success just before dark than during the previous 10 hours! 13 or so miles of stream! Wonderful.

Hope this helps until you can have a chat with Jan or Warren, and one of them will probably take time to give you a quick tour of the bits you haven't seen. On my tour, late winter, they arranged fish to be rising all along the Derwent and Wye; clever blokes.

Del

ps forgot; and then there's the winter Grayling!

Last edited:

sean freeman

Can't answer Glueman's question; not been up for a while, but have a look at dryflyexpert's website; may be some info there.

Sean, re the club, I don't think there'll be a waiting list as it probably turns a few over as there are a few (me!) long distance members. The 'booking' system for the members is just to let Jan (river keeper) know when you're coming so he can keep an eye on rods on the river. The Derwent and Wye have never been 'full' when I've driven up. Occasionally, I've not got onto my first choice on the Lathkill, but never not got on.

Join! As you know, the Wye is a beautiful stream, the Derwent is a very underrated dry fly river and there are some very big wild fish in there. The Lathkill is just beautiful, and I've never fished the Bradford. Nipping down after work would be perfect and don't rush; some evenings from late June through to mid or late August you'll have more success just before dark than during the previous 10 hours! 13 or so miles of stream! Wonderful.

Hope this helps until you can have a chat with Jan or Warren, and one of them will probably take time to give you a quick tour of the bits you haven't seen. On my tour, late winter, they arranged fish to be rising all along the Derwent and Wye; clever blokes.

Del

ps forgot; and then there's the winter Grayling!
You're definitely selling it to me Del (not that I need much persuasion :whistle:) that sounds really good!! Yeah I love evening fishing through the summer, all my best fish have come at that time :thumbs: it would be nice to be shown around before joining, I've never fished the upper reaches of the peacock water and the derwent for that matter, it's actually one river I've never fished, do you get many wild rainbows around the confluence of the two rivers? the thought of grayling fishing through the winter is nice too, cheers for the help, I'm still in the process of justifying it to my girlfriend at the moment :rolleyes:

delray

I've probably had more luck with Grayling at the confluence but it is a very popular spot; easy to get to and a natural angler's magnet.
The very upper parts of the Wye are not easy, no keeping done, overgrown and loads of good fish! Obvious reasons.....
The Derwent up and down from the Peacock is close to a footpath, but I've never encountered anyone who likes to make angling difficult, and there are some great looking stretches of water in both directions. Climbing up and down the steep banks of the Derwent can make it wearing but I'm speaking from a 60 year old's view with dodgey knees. The anglers hut on the Derwent is a delight!
Good luck; hope you enjoy it if you decide to make the outlay.
Del

rustyspinner

Great fishing last night. Very wet and rainy, but did not put them off. Fish were on the midges, clouds of them had formed in the lee of the trees. Had some really nice Browns on a size 18 John Storey like fly (grizzle hackle, peacock body, small wound tag of orange floss). :)

glueman

Went Saturday last caught all three species on Spinner and Sedge until rain ( think it was rain might have been a fire hose) turned the colour of the river cloudy. Other than like a drowed rat was a good day as usual on the Wye

colmans

You're definitely selling it to me Del (not that I need much persuasion :whistle:) that sounds really good!! Yeah I love evening fishing through the summer, all my best fish have come at that time :thumbs: it would be nice to be shown around before joining, I've never fished the upper reaches of the peacock water and the derwent for that matter, it's actually one river I've never fished, do you get many wild rainbows around the confluence of the two rivers? the thought of grayling fishing through the winter is nice too, cheers for the help, I'm still in the process of justifying it to my girlfriend at the moment :rolleyes:
Just tell her there's a 20 year waiting list usually but there's one space available for next year. You've got to take this opportunity or you'll be grumpy for the next 20 years...

I drive up from Nottingham for evening visits and it's definitely worth the trip. Nothing better after a day sitting in front of a screen than getting to the river for the evening rise :).

sean freeman

Cheers lads, yeah she's coming round to the idea now, love fishing the evening rise, I work in electrical engineering so it would be a nice break from it through the summer :thumbs: cheers for the replies, the 20 year waiting list idea wasn't a bad one :D

rustyspinner

Had a great days grayling fishing, on the Derwent, with JJ yesterday. This was an unexpected bonus, and something different to end the year with. Happy new year to everyone, and tight lines for '17.