Peacock Fly Fishing Club- Wye, Derwent, Bradford and Lathkill

warrenslaney

Over 75? Half price

Jan and I think keeping people fishing is just as important as starting people fishing.

It's a privilege to take senior anglers around our four rivers in the landrover and show them the flat banks, numerous seats and resting fishing huts in the hope that they can extend their hobby past the stage they thought of giving up. Only one of our rivers allows wading, the other three being from the bank only and the meadows around Bakewell can be fished from a wheelchair. I like having senior members involved in the social element of our club because they often attend our gatherings and club meetings throughout the year. Our oldest member is 92. Everyone over 75 gets straight in and only pays half price annual membership with all the usual member benefits - £325

jjofalnwick

I was out on the river yesterday, delightful and always good to have a natter with other members.
All in all, a chilly swirling wind suppressed the hatch which was at best sporadic. You got the sense that, if the sun would come out and the wind drop for several hours, then the place would burst forth..
Notable sightings:-
- a mayfly (I kid you not)
- sand martins
- catching a fish on my knees hid behind a tree whilst a man in a signal red fleece was telling me about a carp he caught 5 years ago on a piece of bacon rind (or some such nonsense!)
As always, a real pleasure,
JJ

wjd

Hi all,
I am fishing the Peacock Hotel beats this Saturday. I fished the Wye beats once before, about 5 years ago. Any update on conditions?
Thanks,
Billy

janhobot

Hi all,
I am fishing the Peacock Hotel beats this Saturday. I fished the Wye beats once before, about 5 years ago. Any update on conditions?
Thanks,
Billy
Hi Billy,

It's been fishing well. Olives, sedges, midge etc Esp good 5pm till dusk.

Have a great day :thumbs:

sean freeman

Fished the previous two days from around 10am until 4pm each day and it’s been tough going! Picked a few Grayling off on dries but nymphs didn’t produce, might wait now until the river clears a bit before going again. Enjoyable to be out nonetheless. :D

sean freeman

It’s sad to see threads/updates on the Derbyshire Wye so inactive over the last year or so. Unfortunately it seems a lot of the lads that used to to contribute have stopped using the forum.

To kick things off again here’s a stunner of a grayling from late last year, fingers crossed the big fish which have come out this winter are approaching or exceeding 3lbs next winter! Now looking ahead to the new trout season tying olives and sedges in a variety of sizes.

6A183762-B395-45D5-9CC9-D0ECBE545848.jpg

sean freeman

Another fish I had in August. This time my best from the Lathkill, an old bruiser and a bit thin but special nonetheless.

C1D3F573-E3D8-4EE9-BA36-B44553EB4C01.jpg

blithfield2

Sean,

It's great to see someone posting on The Peacock thread. I was a member when the club was first started until I moved South and I miss the sheer quality of the surroundings and the fishing was exceptional! It's a shame that others don't post but please keep yours coming!

sean freeman

Sean,

It's great to see someone posting on The Peacock thread. I was a member when the club was first started until I moved South and I miss the sheer quality of the surroundings and the fishing was exceptional! It's a shame that others don't post but please keep yours coming!
It’s a great club with great members and keepers. I’d been fishing it on the odd day ticket since I was young and finally joined the club last season and still can’t get over the quality of the fishing, it just gets better and better.

The wild rainbows fight like demons and can get very large, however this season I’ve had a lot of mega brownies to 4-5lbs. I’m counting the days until April 1st!
I’m out on the Derwent on Wednesday after Barbel so that should get rid of the cabin fever!

Another pic of a decent size buttery brown below.

3FFA5496-4468-432E-80E8-80636D60407B.jpg

boisker

I fished the Wye stretch for 2 days in September... my only visit so far... and unfortunately it coincided with storm Ali!
The 18th I fished all day, it was pretty windy (35 - 40mph as the the main event of Ali hadn’t fully arrived) and the river was a bit coloured, but picked up my first wild rainbows and some nice grayling
... the 19th I was in meetings in Sheffield for the morning, left Sheffield after lunch, 60mph plus winds and 2 trees down across road heading back to Rownsley... fishing 3 hrs in that howling wind was fun, but made some stretches impractical.... but the highlight was catching 2 rainbows, that had refused every offering in exactly the same spot the day before...
I hope to be back and fish it in warmer, calmer and more productive conditions:D

sean freeman

Ah unlucky with the weather I remember mid September being quite tough. Surprisingly whist other rivers suffered the summer drought the spring fed water of the Wye stayed cold and had a fairly decent flow so the fishing wasn’t affected and balmy evenings full of fly life were common through June/July and early August. If I could recommend any time of the year it would be during the blue winged olive hatches in late June/July and stay late for the spinner falls. The river can resemble pea soup with all the rising fish and the big boys really do reveal themselves at this time.

delray

Thought I'd wake up this thread with a very quick report on the Derbyshire Wye last week, the 30th May.
Brilliant Mayfly sport! Quite a few anglers around and every time I saw one, his/her rod was bent over. I was lucky enough to have a few, and the takes were almost funny by their aggressive nature both by the wild brownies and the rainbows. The hatch went on and on and was still going at 8pm when completely knackered, I turned it in.
First time I've fished the Wye during the Mayfly and well worth the wait.
Del

heathenwoods

I love this thread. The Peacock is top of my 'clubs I must join' list. Sadly, it's going to have to wait until the kids have left home. Although if there any more pictures like the above on this thread they'll be out the door on the day of their 16th birthdays :thumbs:

sean freeman

8FB20C97-C5B0-4468-B332-39869E625AFF.jpg

This was my best last summer during the bwo spinner falls, based on the net I’d say 23ish inches. Cream of the crop fishing for me, not long to go now! :thumbs:

I’ve only been out twice so far this season, feels like I’ve fished everywhere but the club waters!