Peacock Fly Fishing Club- Wye, Derwent, Bradford and Lathkill

chase

Shame the forum is so quiet . I fished there when it was a stocked fishery on a day ticket with my brother (6 fish limit) when selected members could fish down and across etc. My brother got warned off for getting his wellies wet !
I also fished there and stayed in the Peacock on our honey moon ! My wife understood me or she welcomed the hotels excellent comfort .
I have fished there a few times since and rest assured if it was nearer to home I would be a member.

sean freeman

It used to be a really active thread but most of the guys have gradually left the forum. It’s a shame but times moved on and most of the guys are more active on Facebook and Instagram now.

There’s one big change next season that low season isn’t available on a day ticket anymore unless you’re a guest of the hotel. You can still buy them for high season though. It’s beneficial to the trout/grayling due to the reduction in angling pressure. I’m excited to see the effects of this over the next few years.

Mrtrout

Yes good thread this, but since RW stopped posting it went quiet.
Anyone tell me what a day ticket from the hotel for Mayfly time costs please?
It was £95 a day last time I went.
S.

sean freeman

I believe last season it was £150ish, I only ever join as an olive member as I go to Ireland for the May fly so save a decent chunk of cash.

glueman

Shame they are doing away with the low season day ticket. As a pensioner I think £150 for a day is out of my league I did enjoy the odd day there over the years

Mrtrout

Shame they are doing away with the low season day ticket. As a pensioner I think £150 for a day is out of my league I did enjoy the odd day there over the years
I agree, it’s a log trek for me and £150 is just far too much to catch Rainbows.
I enjoyed my last visit but thought £95 was a bit much then.
S.

sean freeman

I think they’ve been heading for members only the last few years tbh. It’s beneficial for guys luke me that live fairly close and can justify membership but when I was a kid a day ticket was a once or twice a year treat so I can understand the frustration.

Reg Wyatt

Could anybody tell me if Warren Slaney is still a river keeper there? Somebody told me they thought not?

Reg Wyatt

sean freeman

Warren left at the start of last season. No idea why but it seems a shame as he’s done a lot of great work with Jan rewilding the rivers. I’m still living in hope that Cressbrook will one day follow in Haddons footsteps and stop stocking. What a fishery it would be then!

sewinbasher

Warren left at the start of last season. No idea why but it seems a shame as he’s done a lot of great work with Jan rewilding the rivers. I’m still living in hope that Cressbrook will one day follow in Haddons footsteps and stop stocking. What a fishery it would be then!
The C&L still has a better value day ticket than the Peacock at around £60. I think that they did reduce stocking at one time but I know from experience with other clubs that have reduced or stopped stocking that many of the members paying quite large subs are not great anglers and need "easy" fish to catch. If they start looking for greener pastures clubs can be difficult to sustain financially.

sean freeman

I think that’s the exact issue, a lot of the members enjoy easier fishing for bigger stocked fish. I think they should leave the upper 4/5 miles wild and I bet the river in the upper reaches would become a spectacular wild fishery.

I wouldn’t say it’s better value when you compare 3/4 of a mile to 6-7 miles of fishing, the current Cressbrook price is £60 so £15 less than the peacock ticket.. although to be fair they don’t charge extra for high season. I guess it’s also a nice option to be able to fish a single nymph but sometimes the challenge of getting a trout to take a dry fly is just as much fun.

As a club the Peacock also controls the Lathkill and Bradford which are spectacular small streams with some real big fish! Both clubs have their pros and cons for some but I’ll take the 100% wild fishing all day. I’d love to join Cressbrook but they increased their stocking regime again and I’ve caught their fish as far down as Rowsley mill leat. Most of our members are told to remove them.

Reg Wyatt

Thanks for the reply Sean. I echo your thoughts ref stocking policy and think the Wessex chalkstreams have the same dilemmas. Hate to say it but I wonder if the Haddon Estate will be tempted to soften their policy? Certainly hope not.

Reg Wyatt

sean freeman

Haddon are fortunate to have a lot of unaltered river that has plenty of spawning gravel whereas Cressbrook have a few sections which can’t support a large amount of fish naturally due to the river being dredged or full of silt. Not enough to justify the numbers they stock. They started cutting back a few years ago but I believe there was a negative reaction from some members.

Buxton FF have it in the lease that they have to stock 200 odd fish I’m sure I heard? Would love to fish that section as apparently it’s stuffed with little wild rainbows that end up dropping down into the upper reaches of the Cressbrook water (another place I’d love to fish). I can’t see Haddon stocking again as they fill the spaces year after year and were operating a waiting list for the first time I can remember this season. It also helps that they don’t have a joining fee, which I think are bobbins in general.

I’m on the waiting list for Cressbrook but no matter how beautiful their stretches are I’d feel conflicted joining until they stop stocking or at least begin to cut back.

delray

Got up to Derbyshire yesterday, and decided to fish the Derwent above the hotel in the hope of lower water levels, and fortunately it was remarkably low and very wadeable.
The bankside trees had debris from the floods in them, I would guess around 9 feet above the present water level (anyone reading this not familiar with the Derwent here, the banks are very high here and you have to climb down to access the water, hence the need to wade). I can't imagine how worrying it must have been for the residents of Rowsley, Matlock and other towns/villages along the river.
The weather was beautiful, not a cloud in sight, and the fishing must have been ok as I had a few grayling and a couple of trout incl 1 jet propelled rainbow that I thought must have been 2 lbs plus and turned out to be a maximum of 1 lb. All the grayling were mature fish too, probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound and just beautiful in the light.
Lovely day.
Cheers, Del

sean freeman

I might try to get out this weekend and open my account for the new year. Last trip to the Wye before early April, hoping for this settled weather to continue!

delray

Fancied the Lathkill yesterday but already booked, so popped along to the Derwent at 1.30 or so with slightly negative thoughts after my last visit when it was 26/27 degs. Couple of fish rising in the pool near the hut car park and picked up 2 small but beautiful browns and missed 2 or 3 others (my setting of the hook was awful all day), so continued upstream very slowly, but no rising fish so switched to a nymph i'd never used before and picked up another 3 or 4 browns, most below 1/2 lb but one around 3/4.
Stopped around 4 for some food and met Colin, lovely fella, doing the same. We toddled off, me upstream to where I'd finished, Colin downstream. Carried on nymphing, 2 more small fish and then a solid one, and this is where things went awry. This fish was a beauty; must have been close to 18 inches, beautiful colours; I had to get a photo which I very rarely do (for reasons that will become obvious). Faffing with net in left, rod in right, strong current, over I went; splosh, dropped rod, net flipped over and fish was off with rod in hot pursuit. Just about caught the rod before it shot off, lifted it up and the fish was still on. Got it to the net, no attempt at a photo and safely released. This will be my fish of the season I'm sure.
Back to car park to re group, met Colin again and we had a giggle about my shenanigans, and after a quick sort out, back to where I left the river. 6.30 by now, mayfly, sedge, olives coming off and 1 or 2 risers but not much to convince me, so I put a nymph in same spot or close to where the big brown came from and wallop! Another solid fish which went berserk, must be a rainbow and it was, around 14 or 15 inches. No faffing, just get it back
Fished until around 8 pm, picking up fish on dries and nymph but nothing on the danica pattern, with one notable moment when I had allowed the danica to drift downstream of me. As I retrieved it, a huge fish launched itself at the fly, I panicked, lifted and nothing. I'm pretty certain this fish was much bigger than the earlier brown and it must have realised it had made a 'nana of itself and slunk off, or rejected any further offerings. I know where you are.....
Caught a good few, lost and missed as many, a wonderful day, and apologies for such a long report/brag.
Cheers, Del