Peacock Fly Fishing Club- Wye, Derwent, Bradford and Lathkill

sean freeman

I hadn’t thought to update this thread, I’ve put a lot of them in the trout and grayling 2020 thread. Sounds like you had a great day! I’ve yet to fish the Derwent this season, the Wye was on fire in the evenings when the weather was hot.

delray

Wasn't sure whether to put the report in the General part or the specific part.
Sean, I'm not being falsely modest, at best I'm an average angler and a good angler would have filled his/her boots last night. I only stopped because I had caught enough and i was drenched. The large brownie I had was not dissimilar to the bottom photo, but more buttery in colour and more red spots towards the head. The rainbow was not as pretty as photo number 2, that is a belter.
All I need now is a pub to visit after fishing......one day eh?

delray

30th June.
Arrived at the hut on The Derwent, a little colour and a good flow, around 1.30, no other cars which makes me think "why is nobody fishing?". Nothing rising in the 'car park pool and that is often the barometer so I set up my version of a euro nymph rig; not my game at all, but then again I'm not sure I have a game. Nothing, nothing and nothing until 75 yds or so upstream from the cars then 2 quick BT, 1 a good fish around 13/14 inches.
Carried on up, had 1 more respectable fish and thought I pricked another 2 or 3; maybe not. Stopped for food and drink and there's 5 cars and a couple of nice fellas setting up, so a quick chat and thought I'd go off to the Wye for the evening, but instead, stopped near the exit, and fished the Derwent again up to the Wye confluence, meeting another angler who had had a good session, and was finishing up.
Between 6.30 and 9pm still very mild, flies everywhere, mainly sedge and I must have had 20 or so fish rise to my dry, hooked and lost 6 or 7, missed 4 or 5 completely and the rest to the net/hand, nothing notable, but all wild and beautiful BT. Loads of juvenile Grayling whizzing up too. Didn't connect with one. A lovely evening, time to go home.
Regards, Del

blithfield2

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the reports

delray

Was just reading the same thing, re the Wye and the lake. Whatever, the fells's poaching, had no driver's license and now has a problem although probably not a big enough one.

sean freeman

More to the point where can you get a day ticket on the Wye for £55?
Yeah their facts were wrong, the low season day tickets were £75 until the stopped doing them and the poaching incident happened up at Cressbrook. The pic in the article is the river above Bakewell.

JayP

Yeah their facts were wrong, the low season day tickets were £75 until the stopped doing them and the poaching incident happened up at Cressbrook. The pic in the article is the river above Bakewell.
That makes sense re: price as I think Creesbrook & Litton do a £50ish day ticket, completely forgotten about them

Edit- Yes they do https://bookings.clff.co.uk/

william henry

I managed to fish the Wye and catch some of the rainbows years ago when a ticket was £40; now they’ve just priced normal earners off the river - I don’t need guiding!
I am on the same page as you. I live too far away to justify buying a season ticket and the cost of a guide or staying in the Peacock makes it just too prohibitively expensive for a retired bloke like myself .

glueman

I am on the same page as you. I live too far away to justify buying a season ticket and the cost of a guide or staying in the Peacock makes it just too prohibitively expensive for a retired bloke like myself .
My fishing pal can remember when he first fished the Peacock stretch for around £9 per day. Now at £150 for a day ticket it has pushed many regular day ticket fishers out of the market. Is it just greed by the owners

sean freeman

I spoke to the keeper about it recently, they had a lot of people booking tickets for Mayfly at £90 and wanted to reduce pressure on the fishery so they upped the price to £150 and expecting numbers to fall but the bottom line to remain roughly the same but funnily enough he said they had more requests for day tickets. A lot of people think the more they pay the better the fishing.

They also took a lot of money off the table when they stopped the low season day tickets as these were very popular. It was a reduction of 200-300 anglers over low season though so a hell of a lot less pressure on the fishery and it also means the members on many occasions have full beats to themselves. If the estate was driven by money they’d have kept low season day tickets going and increased the price knowing many anglers will pay the price.

delray

I made a big mistake yesterday; I left the Derwent at around 6pm to fish the Wye. Anyway back to the Derwent. A few anglers around at 2pm when I arrived, all having a chat at the shed, very convivial.
Fished up from the car park, not much showing itself despite plenty of sedge and a few olives being around, so tried a method I rarely use, the duo which worked well producing one small grayling on the dry and 6 BT on the nymph, 2 excellent fish of around 15/16 inches; brilliant.
Back to the shed for a bite to eat at 5.30, met 2 more lads who were just popping across to the Wye, and i thought that sounded like a good idea...........yeah, right.
Parked by the bridge over the Lathkill just before the confluence and made my way down determined to only cast at rising fish. I kept to that for around 90 minutes not making one cast. At around 8pm, in the slow stretch below the Lathkill on the way back to the car, a couple of fish showed, but I 1) couldn't get to them 2) couldn't tempt them when I was close to the 'money'.
Knocked it on the head at about 8.15 and drove home......should have stayed on the Derwent.......
Cheers,
Del

sean freeman

I made a big mistake yesterday; I left the Derwent at around 6pm to fish the Wye. Anyway back to the Derwent. A few anglers around at 2pm when I arrived, all having a chat at the shed, very convivial.
Fished up from the car park, not much showing itself despite plenty of sedge and a few olives being around, so tried a method I rarely use, the duo which worked well producing one small grayling on the dry and 6 BT on the nymph, 2 excellent fish of around 15/16 inches; brilliant.
Back to the shed for a bite to eat at 5.30, met 2 more lads who were just popping across to the Wye, and i thought that sounded like a good idea...........yeah, right.
Parked by the bridge over the Lathkill just before the confluence and made my way down determined to only cast at rising fish. I kept to that for around 90 minutes not making one cast. At around 8pm, in the slow stretch below the Lathkill on the way back to the car, a couple of fish showed, but I 1) couldn't get to them 2) couldn't tempt them when I was close to the 'money'.
Knocked it on the head at about 8.15 and drove home......should have stayed on the Derwent.......
Cheers,
Del
I’ve found they switch on at around 9pm lately and the action lasts until 11pm. That’s my plan for this evening anyway!

sean freeman

Best of the evening was a fish I’d spotted last time I was out, it was holding in a place that was likely to produce a big fish but unfortunately although it fought very well it was a grown on interloper from upstream.

8468A293-9A27-4A77-9CC0-037E32F20ACE.jpeg

The dorsal and spot pattern give it away although it had taken on a more golden hue compared to others I’ve had and the fins were in good shape too. Annoys me that the lot upstream stock the river when it would do just fine on its own.

Latest posts