Peacock Fly Fishing Club- Wye, Derwent, Bradford and Lathkill

delray

Just a very quick note on fishing last week, Monday. The Derwent is (was) in excellent nick; good flow, clear, loads of flies especially sedge and nothing showing at all, but, as we know, they are there, and the hideous French Leader did ok for me, as did the duo, but the FL took the biscuit with a 4 inch 'Bullhead' being the prize of the day. I have not seen one since I was 8 or 9, using a net in a brook that passed to the edge of my growing-up town, Boreham Wood. They were plentiful there and then.
Didn't fish late at all, but I know I should have waited............
Cheers all,
Del

chase

Hi All ,
I'm up next week for our first break of the year(wife and I) , I intend to have a day next week , Tuesday/Wednesday , any advice you can offer ?

sean freeman

Hi All ,
I'm up next week for our first break of the year(wife and I) , I intend to have a day next week , Tuesday/Wednesday , any advice you can offer ?
I’ve not fished it in a few weeks now as I’ve been fishing lochs and Llyns more, the wet fly fishing is getting good again now.

What I will say is bring olives in different sizes, there should still be a few bwo’s about too, small Caddis have worked well for me at this time as well as Daddy long legs if you see plenty about. For prospecting fast runs a stimulator in a size 12 has been invaluable this year. Griffiths gnats and double badgers are useful too when you can’t work out what the fish are taking or in very small sizes if they are taking midges, a grayling witch fly is good fun if you find a group of grayling sipping too.

Just stay stealthy and take your time, I sit and watch for up to half an hour sometimes and it’s amazing where fish can reveal themselves, fish that I know I would have spooked if I went in all guns blazing.
I really should make the effort to get down there but I’m in Scotland again next week and the closed season is looming..😭

sean freeman

So looking back through this thread - Are day tickets allowed ?
Ah, thought you might have been staying at the peacock! They’ve done away with day tickets for non residents. It’s a shame for people who live far away who have fished it for years. I can see why they have implemented it but it’s still a kick in the teeth.

Cressbrook still do day tickets but it’s a much shorter section and stockies. If I was around I’d have arranged to meet you but unfortunately I’m away.

JayP

Hi All ,
I fished the Peak Passport water on Tuesday and had a great afternoon with plenty of fish to a 1lb, it's not the easiest of water to fish and you'll need a sub 7' rod but take your time and there's a cracking mix of water.

IMG_20200901_191922_963.jpg

I fished the bank top beat

http://www.peakanglingpassport.co.uk/

Last edited:

chase

I fished the Peak Passport water on Tuesday and had a great afternoon with plenty of fish to a 1lb, it's not the easiest of water to fish and you'll need a sub 7' rod but take your time and there's a cracking mix of water.

View attachment 30388

I fished the bank top beat

http://www.peakanglingpassport.co.uk/
Hi Jay
Thanks for the info - I fished Bank Top maybe 30 years ago before these schemes existed - It was really good water .
Chase.

JayP

Hi Jay
Thanks for the info - I fished Bank Top maybe 30 years ago before these schemes existed - It was really good water .
Chase.
There's also the Beresford fishery which has some great water https://beresfordfishery.wordpress.com/

I toyed with fishing the Litton water but apparently it gets a lot of foot fall and mostly stockies

chase

That's a bugger about the Peacock - We have stayed there several times ( first one was honeymoon and I fished before you ask ) My brother and I then fished for a good few years after the Mayfly when it was a stocked fishery and have many happy memories , but the defining times were the no stocking policy - very enlightened at the time .

JayP

That's a bugger about the Peacock - We have stayed there several times ( first one was honeymoon and I fished before you ask ) My brother and I then fished for a good few years after the Mayfly when it was a stocked fishery and have many happy memories , but the defining times were the no stocking policy - very enlightened at the time .
The other option you have to fish the Wye is to use a guide, it won't be cheap though

kerryjordan

delray

The bright conditions hindered me last week, at least that's my excuse. I fished the Derwent, along with 2 other fellas, and we struggled; a lot. The water was perfect, a whisper of an upstream breeze, bright sun and hardly any flies coming off at all. Had one OK grayling on a dry just below the shed where the current is fast/heavy down the middle. Elsewhere using nymphs, another tiny grayling and a brown of about 1/2 pound. But a day in heaven on earth as Sean describes it, can't be a bad one.

sean freeman

Beautiful! The bright conditions didn’t hinder you then! Is that club water? Looks too good to get a day ticket!
It’s private water owned by Lord Edward of Haddon estate, the gold card (mayfly) club members got to fish it this season due to the late start but I doubt that will be the case next year, you can also stump up for a day ticket if you’re an olive club member, it’s expensive but it’s a day I’ll never forget! If anything the sun was a blessing and a curse, I had to be a lot more stealthy but I could stalk the fish from the margins and see them approach my fly in the crystal clear water!

delray

Aaaaaaahhhhhh, so that's why I didn't recognise the stretch.
All the photos are great but the third one down is just beautiful in my view. Lovely to see.
Cheers, Del

sean freeman

Aaaaaaahhhhhh, so that's why I didn't recognise the stretch.
All the photos are great but the third one down is just beautiful in my view. Lovely to see.
Cheers, Del
It’s worth fishing that stretch just once to see what it’s like, once the sun had disappeared behind the trees we got the shots at the bigger fish, my brother lost one that I’d say was at the 3lbs mark! We also covered a fish with about a dozen patterns that was 3.5 if not going on 4lbs! The fly dragging put that fish down though!

Agreed on that picture, the fish in the first picture was bigger but that fish was so red and it just glowed in the sunlight! It was coming up off the bottom every time it took a fly so I wasn’t expecting it to take mine when it had such a good view, my heart was in my mouth as it slowly moved up to take my fly!