Peacock Fly Fishing Club- Wye, Derwent, Bradford and Lathkill

glymo

The river seems to be fishing especially well at the moment.Quite a few really nice fish to spinner patterns and olives and beetles..and..sedge and much else i am sure. Just a couple of pools seem very quite though, normally lots of fish but not many now. The stump pool at Caudwells has had a tree down but not in the main stretch of it..hmmm.

delray

How did you do Dave?
I was there yesterday, the 15th; warm, very sunny, good water conditions ( i.m.h.o), very few flies coming off and scarcely a rise to be seen. Tough few hours resulting in 2 tiny trout and 1 tiny grayling. I suspect I should have waited for the sun to get a bit lower in the evening but had to be on me bike. Met a couple of other guys with similar results to me and the same observations.
However, the countryside looked just glorious and it was a beautiful day for walking the dogs up there which is perhaps what I should have done....
Del.

richardw

Trade Member
How did you do Dave?
I was there yesterday, the 15th; warm, very sunny, good water conditions ( i.m.h.o), very few flies coming off and scarcely a rise to be seen. Tough few hours resulting in 2 tiny trout and 1 tiny grayling. I suspect I should have waited for the sun to get a bit lower in the evening but had to be on me bike. Met a couple of other guys with similar results to me and the same observations.
However, the countryside looked just glorious and it was a beautiful day for walking the dogs up there which is perhaps what I should have done....
Del.
Dawn and Dusk are best at the moment but all could change with the weather...

richard

dave h

How did you do Dave?
Had a really good day Del. I was there with a friend (Barry) who hadn't fished the Wye before so we moved around a bit, I wanted to show him the beats and access points. We started at Caudwells, and caught regularly on sedges (S17) mainly smallish fish. We then moved up to fishermas car park (fished downstream to the boundry and upstream to the wood) and caught fish fairly regularly there too still mainly on sedges. One notable frustration was a fish that was well on the feed (in the woods) but wouldn't look at anything I put over it, I was determined to catch it but didn't! We moved up again after that parking near the showground entrance, we fished downstream a bit then walked up around the showground - caught a few fish here but it was much slower (mid afternoon to 6ish). We finished off with in town and the bottom of Scotts, caught some more on sedges & spinners, and left about 9.15pm - slightly early I thought but very late according to the wife! We had a good day, Barry certainly enjoyed his first visit to the Wye and will definitely be back.

Some from the day :
From Caudwells

Caudwells again

Town :eek:mg:

Derbytrout

I fished the Wye for the first time on a day ticket(birthday present) on 15th. I started early and had a successful morning 2 browns and 4 rainbows on a size18 Kites Imperial. I started at the lower end from fisherman's car park and slowly worked upstream to just above the "trees". After lunch the rainbows were still rising and taking in the riffles I caught 2 more and lost couple but the browns had a siesta. I encountered a brown near Dave Robert's bench. It was consistently eating something but not the Kites Imperial. It also declined a size 19 double badger, a small black fly, an olive and in desperation a size 14 sedge. I could not make out what it was eating but despite my efforts to catch him for over an hour he was still rising when my hay fever was so bad that I had to call it a day. I saw two other anglers in the distance and talked with another on my way back downstream. I hope that field gets mown soon and hay made!

glymo

Fishing with a novice river angler last night i was a bit nonplussed by a nasty swirly little wind right across the face of a favourite spot. Working upstream on the other side of the rive we were soon on a path less travelled and it is evident much bank clearing has taken place. You still need a long handle landing net and be aware the edge of the river is hidden by reeds in a few place.
We worked up using Small sedge flies and down using spinner patterns and many were risen but none stayed on until right at the death.There are a few wasp nests hole along the bank.The fish are fighting fit and they seem to know what drag free drift means!
The Wye seems to get better and better.

janhobot

I fished the Wye for the first time on a day ticket(birthday present) on 15th. I started early and had a successful morning 2 browns and 4 rainbows on a size18 Kites Imperial. I started at the lower end from fisherman's car park and slowly worked upstream to just above the "trees". After lunch the rainbows were still rising and taking in the riffles I caught 2 more and lost couple but the browns had a siesta. I encountered a brown near Dave Robert's bench. It was consistently eating something but not the Kites Imperial. It also declined a size 19 double badger, a small black fly, an olive and in desperation a size 14 sedge. I could not make out what it was eating but despite my efforts to catch him for over an hour he was still rising when my hay fever was so bad that I had to call it a day. I saw two other anglers in the distance and talked with another on my way back downstream. I hope that field gets mown soon and hay made!
Meadows were cut yesterday!! Ah, you have become acquainted with "heart break" corner ;)

Derbytrout

I shall return when the grass pollen is over. I reckon that trout may have eaten a size21 smut. I did not have one with me because I find it difficult to thread them even in good light. A great day and a lesson learnt.

delray

Fished in town last night after the hoards from the Show had left; the very top end (which had been an overflow car park) and the river at 8.30 came alive and after the failure of my last excursion, i thought i'd report on a great 45 minutes. Only fished about 50 yds of river and had a few incl a big fat beautiful brown on a quilled CDC Olive. The fly got completely waterlogged and couldn't see a thing to tie another on so turned it in at 9.30 or so. If I was local and as advised above, I'd just fish the last 1 1/2 hours of daylight for the time being. I'm back in love.....
Del.

delray

Funny how it goes. Drove up to Derbyshire yesterday and arrived to a misty, damp, cold and miserable day up above Rowsley where it was around 10 degs at 11 am. Anyway, a bit better down at river level and on to the Derwent with no expectations at all, and what a fishing day it turned out to be. Lost count of number of fish, but it was in the 20's, most being Grayling, most to small dries and none below 1/2 pound or so, although the largest was probably shy of 1 lb, nothing to match that beauty above, but for me a stellar day nonetheless.
I'm no authority, but I rate the Derwent very highly as a dry fly river, but after a day like yesterday, i would.
Regards,
Del.

chase

Does the Bradford get fished ?
When I was 12 or 13 or so , but pre internet and mobile phones we (3 of us Dad older bro and myself ) used to come up and fish the Bradford (again pre hi tech comms and no day tickets any where )
We had a few good days ( 40 plus years ago ) on dries but a long drive from Bedford .
I believe there is some restoration going on .
We used to fish from the Lathkill junction upstream to Youlgrieve .
On occasion if we were good or desperate for a fish we were allowed to fish from the Bradford junction with the Lathkill up to the road bridge !

rustyspinner

One from the other day. Good hatch of stoneflys and LDOs around lunchtime. Plus plenty of midges. This one took a small bead head PTN. Some very nice fish about, but tending to keep their heads down.

glueman

Enjoyed reading posts from this thread as fish this river two or three times a season as a day ticket angler but missed reading posts for the last year where have you all gne

warrenslaney

Does the Bradford get fished ?
When I was 12 or 13 or so , but pre internet and mobile phones we (3 of us Dad older bro and myself ) used to come up and fish the Bradford (again pre hi tech comms and no day tickets any where )
We had a few good days ( 40 plus years ago ) on dries but a long drive from Bedford .
I believe there is some restoration going on .
We used to fish from the Lathkill junction upstream to Youlgrieve .
On occasion if we were good or desperate for a fish we were allowed to fish from the Bradford junction with the Lathkill up to the road bridge !
Were you fishing with permission from Mr Burton?

delray

Lovely few hours on the Wye, Wednesday the 4th Nov.
Arrived around 11 a.m to a foggy, damp but mild river bank, and the usual thing in November, fish rising steadily, and having been told it's difficult to distinguish the trout from a grayling rise, I left them alone (a bubble??), and got out a heavy, jig nymph, which spent the day bobbling along the bottom giving rise to lots of lifts into nothing, but also into quite a few Grayling; a couple of tiny ones, a lot around 1/2 lb and a couple close to a pound.
Scarcely any luck in faster riffley water, but lots of luck in slower slightly deeper glides.
Great day.
Del.

chase

Hi Warren ,
I think the tickets were purchased or collected from the Peacock , I know on occasion we met the keeper in the field near the road bridge where the Lathkill and Bradford join ,just a youngster and certainly not interested in how or who paid for the tickets !
As I say 45 plus years ago .
Happy days though and tough fishing, a good brown was 9" or 10"
Chase

Latest posts