Peacock Fly Fishing Club- Wye, Derwent, Bradford and Lathkill

rustyspinner

Beautiful day on the river. The water is rushing through but clear enough. Only had one one that made it to the net, certainly pulled hard in the current! Anyone else been out?

janhobot

If anyone would like more information on the fishing the club offer please contact wyeriverkeeper@aol.com.
*Please note that we do not charge a fee to join the list, nor do we charge a joining fee to join the club.
Tight Lines...!

Last edited:

jjofalnwick

It's been a fabulous season, thoroughly enjoyed it
Thanks again to Jan and Warren
- JJ

delray

Yep and no; popped up yesterday, the 5th, to fish the Derwent; through the estate timber yard and fished up from the Wye confluence. Next to no flies coming off; one or 2 olives and sedge (grannom?) and not one fish rising from arriving at 11.30 to 5.30 when I fell in near the A6, *****. Anyway, had a good few, a mix of Browns, Rainbows and Grayling, most to a nymph but a couple to an quilled olive and both at the slack water of the confluence.
Good stamp of fish from 6 or so oz's to 1 rainbow possibly making a pound and both rivers looked perfect.
Del

alexlewis1971

Was out Sunday, and all day yesterday. A very short LDO hatch at around 2pm (10 mins not really enough to get them interested). Ended up last knockings fishing tenkara rod on the middle Lathkill - three tiny risers turned a fantastic walk into a day that I can call 'fishing' !!

delray

Lovely 1/2 day on the perfectly clear Middle Lathkill on Wed the 4th May. Warm, sunny, light downstream breeze and not much fly life coming off, but the small brownies and rainbows were happy to come up to various dries fished mainly speculatively.
Largest was a rainbow of around 9 or 10 inches, hugely enjoyable with quick aggressive takes and some following the fly for 3 or 4 secs before rejecting or taking. One of these was a brown around 11 or 12 inches and when it finally did take, I was so keen, I lifted too quick. Never mind.
And now I hear we've more water upstream to have a go at. Great news!
Del

delray

So, had a stroll along the 'new' stretch of the Lathkill, and I understand why Jan mentions early morning, late afternoon or wet days.... loads of walkers and the easiest areas to fish are where the walkers are, and it's easy to see why; the dale is beautiful.
The other places where there's lots of fish, big 'uns too, are just after each sluice but it's tricky creeping up on them, and please note, the areas next to the stream that have been flooded and look dry-ish, are swampy; I sunk about 9 inches very quickly, and would have gone deeper, before dragging my feet out. Anyway, lots of rising fish to some upwings, some mayfly appearing, and just one tiddler for me. I fished like a blundering ***** before going off to the Derwent near the wood yard expecting a late p.m/early evening rise and didn't see one. Swarms of midges and caddis but no fish showing themselves, and as is my habit of late, I fell in again, so having been cooled down, I called it a day and went for a pint at the Lathkill Hotel. Lovely.
Del

n.b careful of that swampy ground next to the stream.

scottratt

Im fishing the wye tomorrow hopefully to catch a mayfly hatch. Can anyone give any advice on the best spots to fish please. Im driving 3 hours so want to make the most of it. Many thanks

dave h

Scott, I fished the Wye on Saturday. I didn't see a major hatch of May's, more sporadic once they started in the afternoon. I fished various areas and while I didn't catch any truly big fish (I didn't fish the town), I caught the most I've caught on the Wye in a day. I started at Caudwells around 9.10am and was quickly into fish on small sedges (S17). I moved on at around 11.15 to Congrave catching again on small sedges and quill olives (s17 again). After a couple of hours I moved to fish upstream of town catching more on the small sedges, quill olives but I was now seeing a few mays so changed to a mayfly pattern and started catching on those. I dropped back down to the pumping station later in the afternoon and fished downstream of there until around 6ish catching more on the same patterns. After that I set off to fish Scotts but decided on the way that I'd had a great day and caught enough so carried on home instead. Hope this helps

Some fish from the day, not the biggest I caught but nicely coloured

The quill olives were these, if I can get photobucket to work properly I'll post up the mayfly pattern :

scottratt

thanks mate, had to delay the trip will be next week sometime now so hopefully the mayfly will be in full swing

luddite

To fish on the Peacock rivers it means all the fly rides above the surface ie no klinkhammers or shuttlecock style flies or emergers etc
If you are a member you can nymph the Derwent I believe. The Wye is the only river on a day ticket.

Last edited:

luddite

That's for the keepers to confirm but I can't think why they would have a problem with those flies.

dave h

So the quill olives above are ok .
I'd be interested to know why you think that they would not be OK ? They were tied as a dry pattern and fish on top of the water - If I thought there was any doubt I wouldn't have used them let alone posted them here

Last edited:

richardw

Trade Member
I'd be interested to know why you think that they would not be OK ? They were tied as a dry pattern and fish on top of the water - If I thought there was any doubt I wouldn't have used them let alone posted them here
They'd be fine as shewn in the photograph. Tie them without a tail though and you'd have a shuttlecock...
;)
richard

delray

Hi Guys ,
To open an old conundrum - What constitutes a dry fly ?
If you ask Salisbury and District you get a different answer than from the Peacock, or at least in the flies that 'qualify' as a dry.
I just do as I'm told.

Last edited: