Peak District Fly fishing

matt87

Hi all,

My inlaws are booked up for a cottage in the peak district over xmas.... Just wondering if anyone has any info on:

Derwent resevoir @ Ladybower

And the Monsal Dale river what the fishing is like etc etc

This feedback makes my decision as to whether or not i go :D

oddgitt

Ladybower is closed and is a big old water.

Arnfield is spot on - that'd be my choice

Barlow is quite a hard water and will only frustrate you (I notice I haven't seen you down there recently Maggie, hope you're keeping well!).

Try also Errwood reservoir - not been there but heard good things.

philx123

Errwood is my favourite (though I've not tried Arnfield - big square res by the side of the road, from memory driving past). Ladybower is nice to look at, though difficult. Errwood isn't as large as Ladybower, and away from it all (mostly). Ticket's aren't available at the res, though. There's a tackle shop in a nearby village. Here's their website, which explains everything: Errwood Fly Fishing Club - Homepage

greyhoundgirl

Ladybower is closed and is a big old water.

Arnfield is spot on - that'd be my choice

Barlow is quite a hard water and will only frustrate you (I notice I haven't seen you down there recently Maggie, hope you're keeping well!).

Try also Errwood reservoir - not been there but heard good things.

Rich - i still go occasionally but the stocking is very poor these days - not only small but breeding issues - i caught a relative of quasi modo(?) a few weeks back:eek: 15 quid really isn't justifiable. visited Maran at wkend - i fish 4 hrs nothing under 2lb. best i took was 3lb 8oz and lowest weight prob. 2lb 6oz. greedy old Rex will run Barlow out of buisiness - but then the work exp. laddo told me that he's really looking at kicking fly into touch anyway:rolleyes: figures..... btw hope you're ok too:)

philx123

Rich - i still go occasionally but the stocking is very poor these days - not only small but breeding issues - i caught a relative of quasi modo(?) a few weeks back:eek: 15 quid really isn't justifiable. visited Maran at wkend - i fish 4 hrs nothing under 2lb. best i took was 3lb 8oz and lowest weight prob. 2lb 6oz. greedy old Rex will run Barlow out of buisiness - but then the work exp. laddo told me that he's really looking at kicking fly into touch anyway:rolleyes: figures..... btw hope you're ok too:)

Which one are you talking about when you say the stocking is very poor?

ian_g

Think he means Ladybower, Errwood fish are neither small (minimum stocking size is approaching 2lb, biggest this season was 16 1/2!) nor deformed - but I am slightly biased!

royvs

Press Manor is a nicely run Still Water Fishery.

Monsal Dale is on the River Wye and holds no Grayling, hence does not open until sometime in March, I think. Very nice when it does tho'.

philx123

I'd never assume such a thing about Errwood. I was wondering if it was Arnfield or Ladybower or Barlow. I never really considered Arnfield, as I've driven past it and it just doesn;t do it for me, but Barlow, I've never tried. Ladybower, I used to fish, but other than the beginning of the season, it was always frustration.

greyhoundgirl

Sorry was responding to Oddgit's comment that he hadn't seen me at Barlow recently and was explaining why....(only mho of course!). Many anglers going there this season have been disappointed, locals and visitors alike. I now visit only when (for whatever reason) it's the only alternative at that time. On the plus side the cafe has changed hands and i can reccommend the home cooked ham with "proper" chips.