Perch Advice

Perch@1

Hi guys I'm tying nail knot (fly line to leader) so do you recommend lock tight or another sealant?

To attract Perch shoal do you use ground bait or recast until you connect??

I'm fishing local resevour and pond.

benisa

have never had to use any Lock tight etc when tying a nail knot

has never let me down

Rob Edmunds

No need for any glue/ sealant on the knot

Chopped worm is by far the best attractant ..or a very small livebait .....nothing else comes close for Perch

If using the fly, Perch like movement, especially the upward and downwards movement....so jigging with a heavy fly is pretty good.....Squirmy Worm , Small minkies etc all good

davefish

Do you want to attract a shoal of Perch or does size matter? A shoal usually means lots of snappy 4oz fish. I fish for Perch regularly throughout the winter. I don't fly fish for them but my approach I feel would work for a fly fisher.

First I need to attract some big Perch (1 1/2lb to 4lb+ into my swim/area. So I need to give them a reason to be there. Easy, what they need to see is what they like to eat-small fish. Roach, Perch, young Dace, Minnow, anything vulnerable. Best way to get the small fry into the area is to feed them maggots. A small offering every 5 mins should do it. 50-100? After 20 mins try a chuck with a small silver fly, a Bloody Butcher perhaps, Black Pennell always good. I did have some success a few years ago messing around (testing a fly rod out on my local coarse fishing res) with a couple of PTN's I attatched red wool collars to. Fished them two on the line, caught two small Perch on one cast twice! What's not to love about Perch.

Where to cast is imp if you want a good size one...cast on the edges of the area you have baited, near a feature, some over hanging trees? That is where the big ones are watching from. Keep the mags going in. Worms as suggested above are a great bait, try free lining, with nothing on but a hook and a lob worm. Size 10 hook, worm hooked once through the saddle. Obviously you have to be gentle on the cast but when they hit it you will have a thriller on a fly rod. 3wt? Watch where the line enters the water. Just experiment, if you do let us know what happened. Good luck. C.

taffy1

Used to catch them on anything & everything fishing the Lower Lliw reservoir back in the '90's, a reservoir with a population of natural browns & stocked with rainbows. It was a fishery where perch were not to be returned! I ignored that.

pvthubbard

Used to catch them on anything & everything fishing the Lower Lliw reservoir back in the '90's, a reservoir with a population of natural browns & stocked with rainbows. It was a fishery where perch were not to be returned! I ignored that.
Any ideas what's happening with the Lliw now? Used to fish for speci perch there overnight and caught them up to 3pound, there are some bloody big eels in the lower res plenty of 3-4 pound and I suspect a lot bigger if amount of slime retrieved is anything to go by.

beetlebum

I find little leadhead flies do well for perch, let them sink and jig them back across the bottom. Alternatively small soft plastic lures on micro jig heads are brilliant for perch as is dropshotting...I'll get my coat....

taffy1

Any ideas what's happening with the Lliw now? Used to fish for speci perch there overnight and caught them up to 3pound, there are some bloody big eels in the lower res plenty of 3-4 pound and I suspect a lot bigger if amount of slime retrieved is anything to go by.

Sorry, no idea. I haven't fished there since the '90's. The lads I used to fish there with have moved on.

arkle

Perch@1, I don't know if you're aware, but my friend Dominic Garnett, who has written several books on the subject & has a blog on the subject of "coarse on the fly" https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=DG+Fishing has a column in the Angling Times as well as often writing in Flyfishing & Fly Tying, Is well worth looking up & checking out, He can be contacted via fbk as well. _+ p.m. sent

Last edited:

Perch@1

Do you want to attract a shoal of Perch or does size matter? A shoal usually means lots of snappy 4oz fish. I fish for Perch regularly throughout the winter. I don't fly fish for them but my approach I feel would work for a fly fisher.

First I need to attract some big Perch (1 1/2lb to 4lb+ into my swim/area. So I need to give them a reason to be there. Easy, what they need to see is what they like to eat-small fish. Roach, Perch, young Dace, Minnow, anything vulnerable. Best way to get the small fry into the area is to feed them maggots. A small offering every 5 mins should do it. 50-100? After 20 mins try a chuck with a small silver fly, a Bloody Butcher perhaps, Black Pennell always good. I did have some success a few years ago messing around (testing a fly rod out on my local coarse fishing res) with a couple of PTN's I attatched red wool collars to. Fished them two on the line, caught two small Perch on one cast twice! What's not to love about Perch.

Where to cast is imp if you want a good size one...cast on the edges of the area you have baited, near a feature, some over hanging trees? That is where the big ones are watching from. Keep the mags going in. Worms as suggested above are a great bait, try free lining, with nothing on but a hook and a lob worm. Size 10 hook, worm hooked once through the saddle. Obviously you have to be gentle on the cast but when they hit it you will have a thriller on a fly rod. 3wt? Watch where the line enters the water. Just experiment, if you do let us know what happened. Good luck. C.

Big helpful advice, thanks. I've no experience of perch fly so I'm learning all the time.
I'll start off with #5 rod but yes I have #3 fly rod and couple of flys so can't wait with the help of your wording.
Yes I will let you know but even if I don't take I'll be happy fly fishing in my Borough (lockdown rules)

Perch@1

Perch@1, I don't know if you're aware, but my friend Dominic Garnett, who has written several books on the subject & has a blog on the subject of "coarse on the fly" https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=DG+Fishing has a column in the Angling Times as well as often writing in Flyfishing & Fly Tying, Is well worth looking up & checking out, He can be contacted via fbk as well. _+ p.m. sent

Thanks you, yes I have two of his books and find him very interesting, leading me forward.
Your help will assist me, cheers.

Perch@1

Hi Dave fish fished local waters other day just basically to get out: ref lockdown and wife is ill.
Had no takes but made me feel good working with tackel. Never mind keep fishing 🎣

Perch@1

Thanks Arkle I've just ordered two books DG this info will help 🎣