Perch

Rob Edmunds

If anyone wants to catch a 3lb plus Perch there are a few about at Draycote this year.

Di-7 ....5cm snake booby on a 12ft leader about 50 to 80m out directly in front of the harbour , 20 to 25 seconds figure of 8 down then slow roly poly back.

Had 2 today easily over 3lb and lost another at the net all in the space of an hour.

20201128_134052~2.jpg

Rob Edmunds

Draycote has a lot of big Perch in there as does Farmoor.

Personally I put all mine back, but my dad loves Perch, his favourite table fish along with Bass....

I used to fish with an Irish fellow, who has since passed, Perch were his absolute favourite eating fish and he never stopped going on about how great they were.....

Zander for me every time......no different to bass

ejw

Gut, stuff with grapes, double cream and brandy, wrap in foil, then bake in oven. When cooked the outer skin will peal off and the meat can be lifted off the bones. i.e. skinless, boneless fillets.

4wings

I know I am going to get some stick over this, BUT, they do taste nice. Good eating, a sweet white firm meat, far better than most trout.
Back when Perch were plentiful, anything over a pound was a meal!

Vermontdrifter

Fillet, dip in a beer batter, fry, serve with chips and the ale, stout or porter of choice! Meal fit for a king especially in the winter when the water has less algae. Best I ever ate where always taken when ice fishing!

beetlebum

Back when Perch were plentiful, anything over a pound was a meal!
This would be the problem I'd have with taking them, round these parts fish of over a pound aren't overly common, not for me anyway. I can't imagine catching a nice fish and then killing it, it's for this reason I've never killed a brown trout either. It seems I'm very much in the minority here though and each to their own I suppose.

ejw

Perch were plentiful here and on a "Shoot" that a good friend was running we dug out a new "Flight Pond". A few Perch and Rudd from the original lake above we thrown in by youngsters who fished the top lake. They thrived and grew from 2oz to 3/4lb+. Why do I tell this ? My friend hit hard times due to the late 1980's early 1990's recession and was "single handed" keepering his "Shoot" and where possible, living off the land. I and his family (wife and 2 daughters) did a summer late night fishing trip and caught 2 sacksful of Perch from 12oz to 11/4lb. They kept the family fed over the winter.
I used to be on an advisory group for the EA and when the "Banning" of the taking any Perch came up, the North West EA did not believe that Perch were eatable ! Eventually they put a "maximum" size that could be taken !!!

4wings

This would be the problem I'd have with taking them, round these parts fish of over a pound aren't overly common, not for me anyway. I can't imagine catching a nice fish and then killing it, it's for this reason I've never killed a brown trout either. It seems I'm very much in the minority here though and each to their own I suppose.
There were no supermarkets with chicken meat on tap (as it were) Chicken was for Christmas dinner, (no Turkeys) Rabbits were plentiful if you knew a farmer or two as were Wood pigeon.
It still surprises me that people do not understand how basic the food supply was until the 60's esp.
for a big family.

beetlebum

There were no supermarkets with chicken meat on tap (as it were) Chicken was for Christmas dinner, (no Turkeys) Rabbits were plentiful if you knew a farmer or two as were Wood pigeon.
It still surprises me that people do not understand how basic the food supply was until the 60's esp.
for a big family.
I appreciate that people in that situation would obviously have no issue taking fish for the pot, nor am I saying that they were wrong to do so. I was just saying that personally I wouldn't want to take them now. I'm 37 so my knowledge of the food situation in the 60's is pretty limited, I am from a big family though so I can absolutely understand the idea of there being many mouths to feed. As I said before, to each their own, I'm not trying to argue the point.

geordie41

Melbourne Australia or Newcastle upon Tyne .
Very popular in Oz as a table fish. They are known as Redfin over here , some of the lakes in Victoria have huge numbers of perch in them . Using soft plastics or spinners seem to be the preferred method to fish for them . Like the trout and carp they were introduced . Unlike Carp you can return Redfin but Victorian fisheries strongly recommend that you don’t.

Latest posts