Perch

Perch@1

If anyone wants to catch a 3lb plus Perch there are a few about at Draycote this year.

Di-7 ....5cm snake booby on a 12ft leader about 50 to 80m out directly in front of the harbour , 20 to 25 seconds figure of 8 down then slow roly poly back.

Had 2 today easily over 3lb and lost another at the net all in the space of an hour.

View attachment 32988
Good fishing Rob, be proud of yourself 🎣

shropshire_lad

In the distant past I have eaten Perch and Pike from clear water upland lakes - not sure I'd fancy them from muddy lowland waters?

Both were delicious from memory and easily the match of trout. In fact, most stocked trout I have caught have tasted pretty foul unless they have naturalised in clear waters.

I remember watching an archeology programme a while back where they were analysing the medieval diet from excavations - there were lots of Perch bones.

albacore

Banned
Banned
Makes sense that perch taste good; they eat other fish and, I’m guessing, some invertebrates and these days; crayfish. And perch are muscular ambush predators so develop firm flesh. Pike are apparently good but only if the bones are dealt with. I can’t see the allure of carp as a dish but each to their own. I can confirm that African catfish, despite looking scary, are delicious.

Jeltz

Makes sense that perch taste good; they eat other fish and, I’m guessing, some invertebrates and these days; crayfish. And perch are muscular ambush predators so develop firm flesh. Pike are apparently good but only if the bones are dealt with. I can’t see the allure of carp as a dish but each to their own. I can confirm that African catfish, despite looking scary, are delicious.
Here you go. https://recipes.sainsburys.co.uk/recipes/main-courses/pan-fried-carp-with-seasonal-vegetables

anith

In the distant past I have eaten Perch and Pike from clear water upland lakes - not sure I'd fancy them from muddy lowland waters?

Both were delicious from memory and easily the match of trout. In fact, most stocked trout I have caught have tasted pretty foul unless they have naturalised in clear waters.

I remember watching an archeology programme a while back where they were analysing the medieval diet from excavations - there were lots of Perch bones.
I can remember in the 50s seeing perch along with char on display in a shop window in the lakes.

russfx

Apparently William Morris (of wallpaper fortune) stocked his stretch of the River Wandle with perch because he liked eating them so much!

There is a recipe for cooking it in "A Compleat Angler"

pikeflyfisher

If anyone wants to catch a 3lb plus Perch there are a few about at Draycote this year.

Di-7 ....5cm snake booby on a 12ft leader about 50 to 80m out directly in front of the harbour , 20 to 25 seconds figure of 8 down then slow roly poly back.

Had 2 today easily over 3lb and lost another at the net all in the space of an hour.

View attachment 32988
That is a cracking looking fish ,

4wings

My Gran hated freshwater fish generally, saying why catch a fish you need £10 worth of groceries to make it taste of anything!
Perch she would not make a fuss about

3lbgrayling

View attachment 32988
Stunner Rob.fabulous fish.Get it in the papers.

Jim

vital

There's no shortage of nice Perch in some of the big ressies, such as Draycote, Farmoor, Chew, and even mid-sized fisheries like Elinor; they're fish eaters, and as such make great eating. There, surely, is no problem taking healthy Perch for the pot as a bi-catch, especially in waters where there are stocks of wild, i.e. breeding, Brown Trout ... a two pound Perch will eat all the fry he can manage, while a five pounder ...

BobP

Perch were plentiful here and on a "Shoot" that a good friend was running we dug out a new "Flight Pond". A few Perch and Rudd from the original lake above we thrown in by youngsters who fished the top lake. They thrived and grew from 2oz to 3/4lb+. Why do I tell this ? My friend hit hard times due to the late 1980's early 1990's recession and was "single handed" keepering his "Shoot" and where possible, living off the land. I and his family (wife and 2 daughters) did a summer late night fishing trip and caught 2 sacksful of Perch from 12oz to 11/4lb. They kept the family fed over the winter.
I used to be on an advisory group for the EA and when the "Banning" of the taking any Perch came up, the North West EA did not believe that Perch were eatable ! Eventually they put a "maximum" size that could be taken !!!

Didn't know much about the history of their area did they? Back in WW2 there was a commercial perch trapping operation on Windermre. The fish were canned and sold off the ration as "Perchines".

Last edited:

ejw

Think there is a size limit on what Perch can be taken ? I was on an Advisory Committee to the EA when it was brought up. They did not believe that people eat them ? I think the size was max 10oz !!!! May be worth a check.