Perfection loop

FlyForumAdmin

Perfection loop

Description: The main benefit of this knot is that the loop formed lies directly in line with the main line.

Tying:

1. Make a loop, about 40mm in diameter in the end of the nylon, and pinch it between thumb and forefinger.

perfection1_m.jpeg

perfection2_m.jpeg

2. Repeat the action and make a second loop slightly smaller and around the first loop. hold both loops between thumb and forefinger.

perfection3_m.jpeg

perfection5_m.jpeg

3. Pass the tag end between the two loops and pull the second, smaller loop, through the first loop to tighten the knot. Moisten the knot as you pull it tight.

4. Trim the tag end to finish the knot.

perfection6_m.jpeg

Graphics of knots drawn by Tim Pegg of Thilmcraft Graphics. E-mail: thilm@paston.co.uk

Mostyn

Just like the Surgeon Knot, it's perfect for loop to loop connections.

mancfly

The perfection loop is a great knot, but even to me as one who knows how to tie it, these graphics are very confusing!

andygrey

Agree about the confusing graphics. Dead easy and quick knot to tie when you know how. Also very good for big flies (pike/saltwater).

Cheers

Andy

D

Deleted member 8214

I take great care in tying the Perfection Loop but it does seem to be rather a weak knot to me when compared to the Surgeons Knot. Far superior to both is the Figure-Of-Eight loop mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

JCP

Great video.I recognise the voice as Mark Sosin a legendary US angler.

Graphics are not good.

See some folks do not reckon this loop which amazes me as I have total faith if tied correctly.Ever since I was shown how to form it many years ago by Captain Efren Beron Zamora of Guerita II fame it has held firm during some memorable battles is all I can tell you all.Had some leaders give up the ghost but never had the loop fail.

JP

JCP

Figure 8 is a great knot/loop knot/dropper knot for some applications but here is the rub how do you attach a hook to it ?.This is where the perfection loop scores when you want some movement in the attached hook with strength in it and so easy to do.

JP

buzzerfan

I used the perfection loop for the first time a couple of days ago (I have always used fig of 8 loop but had read about the perfection loop in TF and thought I would try it) with 4lb 'Spiderwire' flouro, I was broken when striking at the knot. Reverted to fig of 8 with no problems. Must say I like the knot, simple and neat, however is my experience a one off? I am loath to use it again as leaving a fish with a fly and long length of flouro attached to it is not something I wish to repeat.

I have never had any knot issues with Spiderwire before.

D

Deleted member 8214

I used the perfection loop for the first time a couple of days ago (I have always used fig of 8 loop but had read about the perfection loop in TF and thought I would try it) with 4lb 'Spiderwire' flouro, I was broken when striking at the knot. Reverted to fig of 8 with no problems. Must say I like the knot, simple and neat, however is my experience a one off? I am loath to use it again as leaving a fish with a fly and long length of flouro attached to it is not something I wish to repeat.

I have never had any knot issues with Spiderwire before.

I've had problems with the "Perfection" Loop using an 8lb copolymer. I wouldn't risk using it again.

easker1

Figure 8 for me, tucked half blood for the hook or a double turle if I need movement,easker 1

buzzerfan

Thanks for the replies, guess that answers my question, fig of 8 it is. I have recently started using the uni knot instead of the tucked half blood and also found this excellent with flourocarbon. I am a recent convert to 'flouro' and have learned the new knots because I was told it can have 'knot issues'. That said the tucked half blood has served me well for over 40 years!

JCP

Re: Perfection loop failure

Hello Buzzerfan.I take your point but wondering where/how you were using 4lb fluoro?
This is pretty light for any trout fishing using fluorocarbon.Normally refer to diameter against mono BS for fluorocarbon choice.Not sure how I would consider using a Perfection loop in 4lb fluorocarbon.?

Hello Tommy Ruffe.Never had Perf.loop fail on 8lb copoly or fluoro when I have used it.It is not so often these days trout fishing because I use SS rings.

Still use the perfection loop on live/dead bait rigs with no problems to date but much heavier lines.

It is a funny deal with knots and how they can fail for some and not others.

JP

buzzerfan

Re: Perfection loop failure

Hello Buzzerfan.I take your point but wondering where/how you were using 4lb fluoro?
This is pretty light for any trout fishing using fluorocarbon.Normally refer to diameter against mono BS for fluorocarbon choice.Not sure how I would consider using a Perfection loop in 4lb fluorocarbon.?

Hi JP, I used to use 4lb mono but 'converted' to fluorocarbon this season and have been using 6lb precisely because it is a similar diameter to the 4lb drennan I had been using. I had moved down to 4lb because I was fishing size 16 and 18 buzzers and 6lb seemed too large a diameter and somewhat stiff for the fly. I have since reverted to 6lb and it does not appear to have any effect on the flies catching ability although it does appear a little 'rope like' to me.

Best wishes,

Andrew

JCP

Hello Andrew

Yes this is the basic formula I use for Fluoro which I gauge against Maxima mono as a reference.I have used the perfection loop in fly fishing on the butt end of the leader or buffer section from fly line to loop to loop join the leader.Tippet connections are ss ring or FO8 dropper knot clipped.Just wondered where in the rig you had used the perfection loop which failed ?.
I have used it to join leader to a braided loop or shorb loop on a furled leader and it has never gone on me which is why it is so difficult to understand why it gave up the ghost.

JP