Perfection loop

buzzerfan

Hi JP, it was connected to the braided loop, I was fishing a straight 14ft, 4lb leader. I know I will get far better T/O with a tapered or furled leader, especially with small flies, but if you want an honest answer, that was what I was doing and that is where the knot failed. As I think I said to begin with, I really like this knot, it's simple and neat and I can get a smaller loop than fig of 8 allows (well at least with my fingers!). I will give it another go with the 6lb. Will also make a furled leader or two!

chris1976x

I agree with Alan regarding the graphics, that makes the knot look impossible to tie, and I can tie it.

Try this
Perfection Loop | How to tie the Perfection Loop | Fishing Knots

Never tied this knot as new to fly fishing, this demo is very simple and easy to follow. Thanks, I guess i'll be using this knot quite alot

D

Deleted member 8214

Re: Perfection loop failure

Hello Buzzerfan.I take your point but wondering where/how you were using 4lb fluoro?
This is pretty light for any trout fishing using fluorocarbon.Normally refer to diameter against mono BS for fluorocarbon choice.Not sure how I would consider using a Perfection loop in 4lb fluorocarbon.?

Hello Tommy Ruffe.Never had Perf.loop fail on 8lb copoly or fluoro when I have used it.It is not so often these days trout fishing because I use SS rings.

Still use the perfection loop on live/dead bait rigs with no problems to date but much heavier lines.

It is a funny deal with knots and how they can fail for some and not others.

JP

Please do not take my word for it. Do a few simple tests for yourself with a spring balance, I'll guarantee that the Perfection Loop gives little more than 50% knot strength. Then compare it with a figure-of-eight loop.

JCP

Other published tests rate it much higher than your spring balance test.I am not saying it is better/stronger than a FO8 but it is widely used for some heavy duty fishing where freedom of movement for the hook is required.End of the day it is often a personal choice with loops/knots you learn to trust.All I can speak from is experience of catching some very big fish using the perfection loop which has for me held firm.It is also an easy knot to get wrong.

JP

ChrisAldred68

I lost 2 salmon last season, both of which broke the line at the loop, the knot used was a perfection loop, never again!

Chris

squimp

Saltwater anglers use it - but only with very heavy tippet or butt sections.

That way the low knot strength doesnt matter.

If you need a stronger loop use a figure 8 or better yet a non-slip mono loop (kreh loop).

hope this helps.

johshaw

I don't like this knot as it has let me down a few times. I never use it now.

dixskids70

after numerous attempts at first tying this knot it is important that the second loop tag goes BEHIND the line before coming round back and then going between the two loops.

lepirate

I have just cut ten pieces of 10lb mono and tied loop in each end, one end with surgeons knot other with perfection loop then pulled to destruction. 9 failed at perfection loop with clean break one failed at other end with curly piece(possibly knot not tightened properly?) surgeon every time for me, especially in small diameters... :)

Vermontdrifter

I use the perfection loop to connect my tippet to my furled leader and have never had the knot fail in the four years I've been using it. If the line breaks then it is more commonly either at the hook knot or where the line has been abraded without my noticing it. Even when trying to pull my fly loose from a tree trout it is never the knot that has broken. On the other hand I only use Mono as I've had some negative experiences with Fluorocarbon breaking at knots.

Take care

Terry

trevh

I have just cut ten pieces of 10lb mono and tied loop in each end, one end with surgeons knot other with perfection loop then pulled to destruction. 9 failed at perfection loop with clean break one failed at other end with curly piece(possibly knot not tightened properly?) surgeon every time for me, especially in small diameters... :)

Yes. The benefit of the perfection loop is that it is a neat straight knot on thicker lines, where retaining maximum %age strength is not critical.

If ultimate strength is important, you are better off with an alternative.

chinghis

Agree about the graphics versus the you tube. Am unclear when this loop as opposed to other loops should be used.

greyngreen

I would not use this knot myself, I can and have tied it properly and it always has failed badly, I lost a very big salmon in norway from this knot failing its fine for trout but I dont think it is suitable for big fish, a better knot is a lefty kreh loop small and incredibly strong, cant see why people rave on about the perfection loop at all apart from the main line being centred in the middle of the loop and that does not matter at all.

Mr Notherone

I would not use this knot myself, I can and have tied it properly and it always has failed badly, I lost a very big salmon in norway from this knot failing its fine for trout but I dont think it is suitable for big fish, a better knot is a lefty kreh loop small and incredibly strong, cant see why people rave on about the perfection loop at all apart from the main line being centred in the middle of the loop and that does not matter at all.

Interesting, I'm not that good with knots, but the perfection loop is one I can tie well and quickly. I have never had one fail.

beryl

You can determine the size of the loop quite accurately. That does it for me. Rarely use it but that and the figure of eight is all you need really.

greyngreen

figure of 8 is a strong reliable loop, perfection loop is ltd to light work imo, ive tested all of them I dont trust the perfection at all other then for light fishing,

JCP

figure of 8 is a strong reliable loop, perfection loop is ltd to light work imo, ive tested all of them I dont trust the perfection at all other then for light fishing,

Something amiss here and wish I had the answer.I have found the subject knot to be better suited to heavier lines.I do use it reservoir trout fishing sometimes but not under about 20mm tippet and no problems to date.I have fished extensively in ''blue water'' and it is a go to knot for attaching a hook for live bait or trolling dead baits for pelagics which will find any weak point.There has always and forever been this debate about the perfection loop.I have used it for salmon and particularly sea trout and bass.Never a problem with it.Not saying it is stronger than this or that knot but used where fit for purpose have found it a very useful and reliable knot.

Best JP