Perfection loop

greyngreen

I thought most people used a lefty kreh loop for blue water or a bimini twist, checked the perfection knot many times as a fishing guide when i spent time on norway, swedish and uk rivers and heard loads of stories of it failing, is it it strong enough for some applications yes but i dont think its anywhere near as strong as others many salmon fishers i know feel the same, the knot gets very mixed reviews, which says to me that it has some problems. maybe you have to seat the knot perfectly to get the get the best from it, i just feel there are far better loops to be tied.

raphael

It is broadly said that this perfection loop knot is failing when using small and medium diameter nylon. From my side I used it only with big fluoro (60 to 80 lbs) when chasing tarpon. This part of the line never failed... On the other hand it is not perfectly aligned when using big line and the fly may be little bit on askew; so it is not as perfect as claimed. I'm going to start to use something else (maybe figure of 8 loop? [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJrICZhKpXM[/ame]).

Regarding Lefty's knot, I use it both for salmon flies or for surface stickbaits while spinning: no problem at all. On the other hand, I fear it is too big and lacking discretion with big lines, and maybe difficult to secure also.

Last edited:

JCP

I thought most people used a lefty kreh loop for blue water or a bimini twist, checked the perfection knot many times as a fishing guide when i spent time on norway, swedish and uk rivers and heard loads of stories of it failing, is it it strong enough for some applications yes but i dont think its anywhere near as strong as others many salmon fishers i know feel the same, the knot gets very mixed reviews, which says to me that it has some problems. maybe you have to seat the knot perfectly to get the get the best from it, i just feel there are far better loops to be tied.

My reference to offshore bluewater is using the knot for livebait.Mostly circle hooks unless fishing for meat.Perfection loop is a simple and quick way to attach a free swinging hook in a wide open bite.We would wet it and pull it up on a fixed point/cleat or similar.Have to cut and retie nearly every fish due to leader chafe etc.Bimini's/Aussie Plait is another part of the leader system if using double line.If it had failed the crews/mates would not have used it.Not saying it is the ''best'' or the ''strongest'' but where fit for purpose it has my vote otherwise would never use it again.

Best JP

greyngreen

Hi m8 thinks its a bit of a marmite knot but thats fishing we all have our own prefs, i just go with the most reliable for me which means fool proof, lefty kreh , surgeons loop, or figure of 8, lots of people love the perfection and it does them well just not one i trust for my fishing.

rikb

I find the Rapala knot an easier loop knot to tie.
Rapala Knot | How to tie the Rapala Knot | Fishing Knots

Can't see why - the perfection loop is easy peasy....even for me!!
First loop is formed pretty much as soon as the line is picked up.....one more loop over the top.......then move the end of the line over to the other side (between two loops.....and pull through!! Pretty much three steps. A lot less than the Rapala......although good to have another know to one's bow!!

john young

I use it for all loops. It not only stays in line and is reliable, but it is about the simplest of all to tie and you can safely cut the tag end very short. Those are the reasons why it is used on almost all commercial tapered leaders.

But starting with a loop that size results in a far too big loop and wastes a lot of line. I start with a loop about the size of a thumbnail, smaller sometimes.

rikb

I use it for all loops. It not only stays in line and is reliable, but it is about the simplest of all to tie and you can safely cut the tag end very short. Those are the reasons why it is used on almost all commercial tapered leaders.

But starting with a loop that size results in a far too big loop and wastes a lot of line. I start with a loop about the size of a thumbnail, smaller sometimes.

Yes - as simple is it is to tie (thankfully), I still can't seem to get to grips with making the loop as small as possible. I get on with whatever size loop I end up with....just don't seem to know which part of this know to tweak to make loop smaller. I am sure it must be simple??

aunt_maud

Having a laugh at your expense.
The size of the second loop determines the end result.

DaveM

Before tightening the knot I think by pulling on the tag end you can make the loop the size you want. Tag end then tighten then tag again until there.

Dave

JCP

Before tightening the knot I think by pulling on the tag end you can make the loop the size you want. Tag end then tighten then tag again until there.

Dave

This is correct.Check out Italian Leaders.They use small PL's to build the leaders which lend themselves to the casting and presentation style.Quite unique and it works;)

Best. JP

doug

I have used the Krey loop knot for all my fishing from flies to catch Bonefish to lures and flies for catching GT's never had a problem with it.